• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Maltby appears to be leaning toward retirement

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Thanks for the service and what you did but i think this is the right descision, go on the pro scouting staff, sounds like a good idea.

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland met with Kirk Maltby Thursday morning and said the 37-year-old forward will decide on his future on Monday.

Maltby will take the weekend to decide whether to report to the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins or retire.

Reading between the lines, it appears Maltby is leaning toward retirement.

In the meantime, Holland confirmed that Maltby will play in Friday's season opener against Anaheim if Todd Bertuzzi (back) can't play. Holland, however, believes Bertuzzi will play.

"I know which way (Maltby) is leaning. I told him to take the weekend and make his final decision on Monday,'' Holland said.

“If Bert wakes up tomorrow and feels as good as he does today, Bert’s going to play. I think we’re going to have Bertuzzi in the lineup, but certainly if we need a call-up Maltby’s a call-up.’’

If Bertuzzi can't play, it might end up being sort of a farewell game for Maltby.

“(Maltby) still wants to play, he still thinks he can play, but when you’ve played as long as he’s played in the NHL, to go down to the AHL ... if he felt he was going down for a conditioning stint or a period time and coming back, that’s one thing, but to go down and think you’re going to be a shuttle guy, I don’t know that he really wants to do that.

“At the same time, he also knows when he makes the decision to retire, it’s for the rest of his life.’’

Holland added, "He’s not sure what he wants to do. I think he’d like to play, but he’d like to be in the NHL.''

Holland said if Maltby retires, he could a spot for him in the organization. The club hasn't filled the pro scouting vacancy created in the summer by Pat Verbeek's departure to Tampa Bay.

"If (Maltby) doesn’t want to play (in the AHL) and there’s an opportunity to find a position in our organization, like I’ve done with these other (former players), I would try to do the same thing,'' Holland said.

I asked this in another thread before I saw this one but given Maltby is on a 2 way contract and 37 years old if he retires how does it affect our cap.

my understanding is that the only time the 35+ rule applies is if the player signed a multi-year contract. so if draper retired, we would be on the hook for his cap hit still; but with maltby, he only hits the cap when on the detroit roster.

hopefully someone can confirm/debunk it.

I'm torn, on the one hand I want him as a "black ace" callup for the playoffs, as the verteran presence, but on the other I don't think his role is needed anymore...

He might be playing Friday, then retiring.

I'm torn, on the one hand I want him as a "black ace" callup for the playoffs, as the verteran presence, but on the other I don't think his role is needed anymore...

He really looked good last year, but the Wings are just too deep right now. I'd be more than willing to use him as a call-up, but I understand it'd be hard to resign yourself to doing that. It might be better for him to retire and become the Wings pro-scout.

my understanding is that the only time the 35+ rule applies is if the player signed a multi-year contract. so if draper retired, we would be on the hook for his cap hit still; but with maltby, he only hits the cap when on the detroit roster.

hopefully someone can confirm/debunk it.

That's been my understanding too. Also, it only applies is he signed the multi-year deal past 35. If he signed a 15 year deal when he was 25, the cap hit doesn't apply if he retires a few years early.