• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Tomorrow night - What would you rather see?

Rate this topic

Since it looks like Maltby will most likely retire instead of reporting to the AHL (can't blame the guy at all) -  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want us to win every game and thus, ice the best team possible night in and night out, however, Maltby has been an absolute warrior for us and I think it would be poetic for him to be able to play in one last home opener, followed by a retirement immediately following the game - I would prefer he report to GR and give us a chance to use him as a call up, but you can't blame the guy one bit for not wanting to, especially after the career he had...

If I were Bert, I might just wake up tomorrow with "my back being incredibly tight for some reason"

What's everyone elses thoughts on this?

I appreciate everything Maltby has given to the Red Wings, but I want to win. This may sound silly in October, but seriously two points in the Western Conference can be a huge deal in April. Does Bertuzzi make or break the Wings chances of winning tomorrow night? Probably not, but I want to see what that second line can do as soon as possible. If Bertuzzi is healthy enough, he should and will play. I think the sentiment is nice because of Maltby's role and tenure with the Red Wings, but let's remember the goal of this organization is to win. Maltby understands that as much as anyone.

Edited by GoWings1905

Im kind of shocked by the results so far. Maltby might not be the best, but he has been going out there and doing his best for the Wings nearly his entire career. He has been an absolute warrior for us, the guy deserves one last game. Anyways, Maltby playing is not going to lessen our chances of winning that much.

malts for sure. I am in the minority that doesn't hate the guy.

Actually I think that's the majority.

His usefulness has just declined over the years and it's come time to let him go. But that's not hate. He's given a lot to the Wings over the years.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

If hes trying to go out with a little bang, the home opener would be the ideal time. Its obvious he wont be getting much call-ups in the future unless (knock on wood) we are in serious injury trouble. Id like to see him out at the opener and it will be a night to remember if it works out that way..

If Malts has truly made the decision to hang them up, then I'm all for this. Especially, if you consider the bullet he took for the team last year by going out on LTIR to free up cap space. Plus we need Bert to be healthy this season, if the 2nd line is going to work as Babs has planned it.

Maltby deserves a good send off

Like a Viking warrior to Valhalla!!

if bert is good to go play him but that doesn't mean malts has to sit. if this truly was a "retirement game" then bench miller/eaves and put malts on the 4th line with helm and eaves/miller. either way i hope kirk sticks around this year (if he wants to). he deserves it.

The Filppula line, to me, still has the most question marks. I'd like for them to play together as much as possible especially in order for them to get a good start.

Yup...I think they didn't get a single game where all 3 were healthy and playing for the whole game. I would like them to get going.

I'm not against having Kirk Maltby come to the game walk on the ice announce his retirement and have a proper send off...I just want to ice the best team possible.

Yup...I think they didn't get a single game where all 3 were healthy and playing for the whole game. I would like them to get going.

I'm not against having Kirk Maltby come to the game walk on the ice announce his retirement and have a proper send off...I just want to ice the best team possible.

That's not the same as PLAYING in one last game, plus, if it's discussed ahead of time, you know he's going to play his ASS off, probably better than any of our 4th liners in the first place... bump Cleary to the 2nd line, bump Eaves up to the 3rd line with Huds and Modano and roll Miller-Helm-Maltby as the fourth...

I'd rather see Maltby go out right, by playing in one final game, rather than by going on IR to end a season... also, Bert gets another day of rest to go Saturday and be 100% healthy...

For an organization that has been so classy and done the right thing for so long, I think it's only right that Maltby play tonight, announces retirement RIGHT after the game and takes the scouting gig in the front office starting Saturday - With all he has given to this city, organization and furthermore, team (as was already touched on earlier in the thread, he didn't have to go on IR last year and we KNOW that was to help the team) - It's only right that he get a proper send off

That's just my opinion of the matter...

I'd love to see Malts play.

To be honest though, it's only half because of Maltby, and half because I don't want Bert on the 2nd line anyway. Even though it would turn the 3rd line into a defensive s*** pile, I'm still hoping we swap Bert and Cleary. 2nd line needs more speed.

Im glad hes gone but it sucks we never got to say thanks and goodbye .. thats what tonight should be ..

That's kinda my thought, I don't want him taking a roster spot anymore, but I would like to have him play one last game tonight for a proper send off...

I chose Bert to play because last spring when Maltby played in the playoffs, myself and others on this site already said our praise/thanks/goodbyes to Maltby, assuming that would have been his last game.

Love ya Malts, but if you're not going to be on the team this year, why would you be in tonight night?