No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyerberger

Pavel Datsyuk has a Gordie Howe Hattrick

Rate this topic

Guest Stolberg

brad may was signed after trying out for the team and having a good preseason

Edited by Stolberg

May only was on this team because we were so injured. Downey made this team out of camp as our heavyweight fighter, May never was that

Well May is who I was referring too with some staged fights with Barch etc.

Downey I could careless, he was not a solid hockey player. I want a player that gets into fights because he pisses off the other team with his physicality not because he has a reputation as a "heavyweight". I want a player that can contribute on the 4th line and not be a liability.

A player worth his salt isn't going to be intimidated by an enforcer in today's "instigator rule" times. Matt Cooke would prefer the other team dress a pure fighter so he can ignore him all night trying to draw the penalty while running the defenseman on the forecheck.

I just do not believe a pro athlete will be discouraged to play physically because the other team dressed a player that punches people well. If a person's job is to hit people, he's going to hit people. I just don't believe dressing an enforcer prevents any aggressiveness from the opposing team.

Edited by Carman

Guest Stolberg
Having a heavyweight fighter is useless, did that stop Laraque from kneeing Kronwall?

wasn't may scratched that game?

Downey I could careless, he was not a solid hockey player. I want a player that gets into fights because he pisses off the other team with his physicality not because he has a reputation as a "heavyweight". I want a player that can contribute on the 4th line and not be a liability. Having a heavyweight fighter is useless, did that stop Laraque from kneeing Kronwall?

A player worth his salt isn't going to be intimidated by an enforcer in today's "instigator rule" times. Matt Cooke would prefer the other team dress a pure fighter so he can ignore him all night trying to draw the penalty while running the defenseman on the forecheck.

I just do not believe a pro athlete will be discouraged to play physically because the other team dressed a player that punches people well. If a person's job is to hit people, he's going to hit people. I just don't believe dressing an enforcer prevents any aggressiveness from the opposing team.

Your arguments are so flawed, did we have anyone in the lineup compareable to Laraque when he kneed Kronwall?

wasn't may scratched that game?

You know what that was probably a bad example for me to use. But either way, I don't think Laraque or any other player that performed a cheapshot would not do the same thing had the other team dressed an enforcer.

Your arguments are so flawed, did we have anyone in the lineup compareable to Laraque when he kneed Kronwall?

Ignore that sentence, and respond.

Edited by Carman

I think a lot of what happened came about because of frustration on the part of the Sucks. They thought if they gooned it up and hurt our guys it would make them look good. It didn't work. All it did was make them look like a bunch of damned fools.

Datsyuk exercised a demon tonight. Perry's a humungous ***** and Dats finally called his bluff, exposing him for what he is.

There's no doubt in my mind that Dats has picked up some tips from Boogie. Knowing to get the grab arm locked, using it as leverage to dodge big punches coming his way, maintaining his balance so he doesn't get clocked, throwing the overhands and going uppercut when Fairy tried to duck under, changing to throw lefty when the fight dictated it, and finally taking him down at the end. Great showing by the Lady Binger!

I was expecting a Dats beatdown or even a Semin-like showing but Dats held his own. Great job! :clap:

esteef

I don't remember writing anything like that.

And there is no more WWF.

WWF%20logo.gif

had to... lol

(not related to enforcer debate)

Got to admit, Pavel looks frightening in that bout... Might just be me, but if I had to fight the guy I'd be terrified. He just looks like someone's trying to kill him, so awesome to see it.

i certainly see the points about not wanting your stars to get into fights all the time...and i'd be worried if this started happening frequently. but it's the home opener against the ducks which, at least to me, are in our top three rivals, and against that dick perry. i'm glad pavs didn't get hurt, and since he didn't i'm really, really glad that happened. let him not fight the rest of the year, but tonight was great.

go pavel!

I don't remember writing anything like that.

And there is no more WWF.

My apologies... it was not you that wrote that but one of the other pro-goonies in that thread. I know there is no WWF anymore but since I stopped watching it when it was still WWF it has remained WWF to me. Superfly Snuka was awesome!

Downey I could careless, he was not a solid hockey player. I want a player that gets into fights because he pisses off the other team with his physicality not because he has a reputation as a "heavyweight". I want a player that can contribute on the 4th line and not be a liability.

Ok, I dont care much for a staged fight like May and Barch but fighting off a faceoff for something that happened earlier in a game is fine. A 4th line fighter can be fond who is a heavy weight and not a liability, people on this board have an impression of fighters that isn't entirely true because Holland signs washed up scrap for one season instead of just filling a role.

Now maybe youre right, it wouldnt stop Matt Cooke because he is the biggest scum bag in the league, but it would stop other people. The last couple seasons Corey Perry gets about 3 fights a season and every time one comes against the wings at least. Why is it that he acts much tougher against the wings then any other team. Why are punks like Bobby Ryan trying to kill our top pairing defenseman from behind. Why have our stars like Datsyuk and Hossa had to fight?

If our team even added more guys like Abdelkader, the ******* of the league wouldn't try to act tough against us, which would make this team a lot better off

Glad someone remembered that there is a real WWF, and they do good work.

And that is the right WWF to support. :)

Edited by Kira

All I could think about while watching that fight is this:

Mainly because of the resemblance between Fairy and Farkus, they could be brothers.

Don't be a homer now. :lol:

He didn't exactly kick Perry's ass.

Let's face it, anything less than a lopsided beatdown by Perry has to be considered an upset in this matchup, I'm sure that is what the Fairy was expecting to happen. Good on Pavel for not only standing his ground, but actually displaying some decent fighting technique.

Edited by McAwesome

Datsyuk exercised a demon tonight. Perry's a humungous ***** and Dats finally called his bluff, exposing him for what he is.

There's no doubt in my mind that Dats has picked up some tips from Boogie. Knowing to get the grab arm locked, using it as leverage to dodge big punches coming his way, maintaining his balance so he doesn't get clocked, throwing the overhands and going uppercut when Fairy tried to duck under, changing to throw lefty when the fight dictated it, and finally taking him down at the end. Great showing by the Lady Binger!

I was expecting a Dats beatdown or even a Semin-like showing but Dats held his own. Great job! :clap:

esteef

I agree.

When Perry got Pavel's helmet off so easily, and without contest, I was worried that Pavs was a deer in the headlights and would take a few hard ones then never recover and have to turtle or tackle. I was worried, and then suprised and then really excited and had to watch it a few more times. I think once the lid came off, Pavs thought "Holy s***, this aint Scott Neidermeyer, it's ON". After that, Pavel looked like he knew what he was doing. Perry was unloading in the eafly going but Pavs kept moving his head and moving his grab arm so Perry's punches were glancing off it a lot. Pavel didn't back down, he didn't go for the tackle, he didn't turtle, he didn't bongo out like Semin; he went toe to toe with a big Canadian boy and at the very least, held his own.

I gotta admit, i'm looking forward to Don Cherry's commentary on this. Is he going to praise Perry for sending a message of will he admit to the courage, heart, and skill displayed by one of the most highky skilled Europenas to ever play the game.

Thanks for this post, Esteef, I had to wade thru two and half pages of ridiculous enforcer arguement to find this little nugget of an analysis by you. The most awesome openning game in years and these guys still find something to fight about.

I just don't want our star player getting hurt in a fight.

Isn't that important?

If you understood hockey better, then you'd know why those staged fights occur.

couldnt agree more. i love datsyuk going out and doing this, but i was watching behind a cringe, fearing he would get dragged down on his head or have a (lucky) punch give him a concussion