130 replies to this topic

#41 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

When did I say this? Nice straw-man.

I love fighting in hockey, I don't like one-dimensional enforcers. I think fighting is important part of the game when the emotion and flow of the game calls for it. I don't see how a player playing 4 minutes a night can make that much of an impact. I'd rather have a grinder out there like Drake/Abdelkader that could fight, but prefer to hit and draw penalties and fight when the team needs a lift.

You love fighting in hockey, then complain about Downey fighting off of face offs and staged fights and blah blah. Mean while Downey NEVER had those fights. Youre a huge fan, yet you know nothing about your teams last fighter?

I'm not saying you have to like fighting or anything but I HATE when people who don't like enforcers make up stupid arguments like saying Parros didn't go after anyone or saying Downey and his staged fights were useless when he never had them.

Argue if you want but dont bulls*** the whole board

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#42 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

Another straw man argument.

I never said anything so stupid. You just invented that yourself.

No? Go back and read some of your posts in the Downey was cut by the wings thread.

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

If we had Downy or another enforcer... they would not have been out on the ice with the Datsyuk line, they would not have been out against the Perry line. An enforcer would have changed nothing in this situation. God forbid our "soft euro players" aren't soft.

Did you read his post?

He's saying things would have calmed down after an enforcer fight. Hence Perry wouldn't have done anything by that point.

When May and Downey were in our lineup, not much happened in terms of these scrums, whether they were on the ice or not. I doubt it's a coincidence.

No? Go back and read some of your posts in the Downey was cut by the wings thread.

I'm pretty sure I never said anything so stupid as Downey being tagged in by Datsyuk.

That's your invention to bolster your argument.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

No but a guy like Downey (I dont want Downey on this team) would have went out when the game was getting out of hand, fought Parros and things would've cooled down. However the game just built up, every other shift Getzlaf was grabbing someone, Ryan smoked Kronwall from behind and it just kept escalating.

A Downey type fights Parros and thigns cool down because the other team is like oh s*** our toughest player just got handled.

I really don't think a fight like that would have cooled anything down... I didn't see the game but a 4-0 opening game humiliation could turn things sour and no fight will relieve that sting... unless by winning a fight you are credited with goals? Maybe it could be a new rule and then having a meathead like Downey would make sense.

I'm pretty sure I never said anything so stupid as Downey being tagged in by Datsyuk.

That's your invention to bolster your argument.

No i did invent that to prove a point... and thought it was pretty funny too envisioning a WWF tag-team like thing.... but you did say having Downey on the bench a player could change on the fly after a cheapshot!

Edited by The Secret, 08 October 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

I really don't think a fight like that would have cooled anything down... I didn't see the game but a 4-0 opening game humiliation could turn things sour and no fight will relieve that sting... unless by winning a fight you are credited with goals? Maybe it could be a new rule and then having a meathead like Downey would make sense.

No having a meat head woudl make your best player on the team most likely to not fight, or having a bottom 6 that can handle itself. Abdelkader and one other guy would be fine. Get Miller outta there.

You dont remmeber when May fought Boll last season and everything cooled down after? Guess not because it happened.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

Fairy has the loudest mouth in the NHL, and the smallest stick to back it up. He might want to ask Datsyuk for his balls back, as I'm pretty sure he thought that was going to be an easy win. :rolleyes:

#47 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

You love fighting in hockey, then complain about Downey fighting off of face offs and staged fights and blah blah. Mean while Downey NEVER had those fights. Youre a huge fan, yet you know nothing about your teams last fighter?

I'm not saying you have to like fighting or anything but I HATE when people who don't like enforcers make up stupid arguments like saying Parros didn't go after anyone or saying Downey and his staged fights were useless when he never had them.

Argue if you want but dont bulls*** the whole board

I thought it was May.

#48 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

No i did invent that to prove a point... and thought it was pretty funny too envisioning a WWF tag-team like thing.... but you did say having Downey on the bench a player could change on the fly after a cheapshot!

I don't remember writing anything like that.

And there is no more WWF.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 October 2010 - 10:22 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#49 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

No having a meat head woudl make your best player on the team most likely to not fight, or having a bottom 6 that can handle itself. Abdelkader and one other guy would be fine. Get Miller outta there.

You dont remmeber when May fought Boll last season and everything cooled down after? Guess not because it happened.

I don't remember that fight sorry. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-fighting I'm just not cool with having players that can do nothing but fight. We need players that can fight but also play hockey too.

#50 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

I thought it was May.

May only was on this team because we were so injured. Downey made this team out of camp as our heavyweight fighter, May never was that

I don't remember that fight sorry. Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-fighting I'm just not cool with having players that can do nothing but fight. We need players that can fight but also play hockey too.

I'm in teh same boat as you. One enforcer isn't what i think would work for this team. We need to add a guy in |Millers place that plays a game similar to Abby. An enforcer who cant play cant just walk in and make this team tough. I liked what I saw from Stuart against a very legit fighter, Ericcson, Abby, Bert and add one more guy and this team looks good to me

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#51 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

brad may was signed after trying out for the team and having a good preseason

Edited by Stolberg, 08 October 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#52 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

May only was on this team because we were so injured. Downey made this team out of camp as our heavyweight fighter, May never was that

Well May is who I was referring too with some staged fights with Barch etc.

Downey I could careless, he was not a solid hockey player. I want a player that gets into fights because he pisses off the other team with his physicality not because he has a reputation as a "heavyweight". I want a player that can contribute on the 4th line and not be a liability.

A player worth his salt isn't going to be intimidated by an enforcer in today's "instigator rule" times. Matt Cooke would prefer the other team dress a pure fighter so he can ignore him all night trying to draw the penalty while running the defenseman on the forecheck.

I just do not believe a pro athlete will be discouraged to play physically because the other team dressed a player that punches people well. If a person's job is to hit people, he's going to hit people. I just don't believe dressing an enforcer prevents any aggressiveness from the opposing team.

Edited by Carman, 08 October 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#53 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

never ever thought id see the day that datsyuk drops the gloves epically with perry! and handling him self very good. way to go datsyuk!! he wants it this year

#54 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Having a heavyweight fighter is useless, did that stop Laraque from kneeing Kronwall?

wasn't may scratched that game?

#55 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Well May is who I was referring too with some staged fights with Barch etc.

Downey I could careless, he was not a solid hockey player. I want a player that gets into fights because he pisses off the other team with his physicality not because he has a reputation as a "heavyweight". I want a player that can contribute on the 4th line and not be a liability. Having a heavyweight fighter is useless, did that stop Laraque from kneeing Kronwall?

A player worth his salt isn't going to be intimidated by an enforcer in today's "instigator rule" times. Matt Cooke would prefer the other team dress a pure fighter so he can ignore him all night trying to draw the penalty while running the defenseman on the forecheck.

I just do not believe a pro athlete will be discouraged to play physically because the other team dressed a player that punches people well. If a person's job is to hit people, he's going to hit people. I just don't believe dressing an enforcer prevents any aggressiveness from the opposing team.

Your arguments are so flawed, did we have anyone in the lineup compareable to Laraque when he kneed Kronwall?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#56 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

wasn't may scratched that game?

You know what that was probably a bad example for me to use. But either way, I don't think Laraque or any other player that performed a cheapshot would not do the same thing had the other team dressed an enforcer.

Your arguments are so flawed, did we have anyone in the lineup compareable to Laraque when he kneed Kronwall?

Ignore that sentence, and respond.

Edited by Carman, 08 October 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#57 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

I think a lot of what happened came about because of frustration on the part of the Sucks. They thought if they gooned it up and hurt our guys it would make them look good. It didn't work. All it did was make them look like a bunch of damned fools.
Posted Image

#58 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

Datsyuk exercised a demon tonight. Perry's a humungous ***** and Dats finally called his bluff, exposing him for what he is.

There's no doubt in my mind that Dats has picked up some tips from Boogie. Knowing to get the grab arm locked, using it as leverage to dodge big punches coming his way, maintaining his balance so he doesn't get clocked, throwing the overhands and going uppercut when Fairy tried to duck under, changing to throw lefty when the fight dictated it, and finally taking him down at the end. Great showing by the Lady Binger!

I was expecting a Dats beatdown or even a Semin-like showing but Dats held his own. Great job! :clap:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#59 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

Man love... exceeding.. mental.. CAPACITY!!!!!11

O.o

#60 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

I don't remember writing anything like that.

And there is no more WWF.

Posted Image
had to... lol

(not related to enforcer debate)

Got to admit, Pavel looks frightening in that bout... Might just be me, but if I had to fight the guy I'd be terrified. He just looks like someone's trying to kill him, so awesome to see it.