• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sleepwalker

Superimposed ads on the glass

Rate this topic

They did this for a few games last year, and it was extremely annoying, obnoxious and distracting. I thought they had chosen against it. Well, unfortunately it looks like they are back at it again. Does anyone know if this is something they plan to do with all the games now?

Personally, I can't f'in stand them. As if having big ads on the ice, on the boards, as well as pop up ads on the tv screen wasn't enough...

Edited by sleepwalker

they don't bother me at all

Just wait...they get worse. They used some of the more subtle ones last night. Probably trying to ease people into accepting them.

Wait until they put up the giant flourescent green and yellow spartan ads, like they did last year. It is insanely distracting.

Guest Stolberg

yeah, and then what's next? they'll superimpose them on the audiences faces! if you leave the evil advertisers unchecked, who knows what will become of the great game of hockey? :ranting:

Sports aren't about the actual competitions anymore, they're all about selling s***. That's why when fans complain about stuff they get the "it's a business" excuse, like it was ever meant to be in the first place.

I feel better now.

esteef

Guest CaliWingsNut

The only one I really notice and distracts me is the wallside windows big block of yellow.

I guess I'm ok with them, prefer the glass get ads rather than the ice or jerseys.

i would love to know how much board ads and such actually go for. i assume its a pretty small part of a teams revenue. its too bad that for such a small increase, we have to see our game cheapened and trivialized for the sake of consumerism.

Sports aren't about the actual competitions anymore, they're all about selling s***. That's why when fans complain about stuff they get the "it's a business" excuse, like it was ever meant to be in the first place.

I feel better now.

esteef

Professional sports were always about selling a product.

i would love to know how much board ads and such actually go for. i assume its a pretty small part of a teams revenue. its too bad that for such a small increase, we have to see our game cheapened and trivialized for the sake of consumerism.

I thought the ad revenue from the ones on the glass were just for FSN and not the team. after all you can only see them on tv.

Guest Stolberg

every time i go to a high school soccer game, i get ads SHOVED IN MY FACE

IM SICK OF IT

I personally don't care. The more money the sport gets, the bigger it can get. As long as the ads are behind the glass, and not on the player's jerseys I'm more than fine with it. Anything to help the sport expand and grow.

I'll take superimposed adds on the glass over actual adds on the jersey or ice any day of the week. There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Meh. They don't bother me. Even jersey ads wouldn't bother me, except in that I'd have to stop making fun of the Euro leagues for having them.

I hope this won't happen because of jersey sales. I wouldn't buy a jersey if it had companies on it.

True, there is nothing wrong with the sport and team making money, but the ads being superimposed on the glass are done by FSN Detroit, the team makes money off of the ads on the dasher boards, so FSN wanted a piece of the pie. As a guy who used to work in broadcasting, tv and radio companies will do whatever they can to make money. I would say sadly, the ads are probably here to stay. I also worked for a minor league hockey team and it was around $100-$200 a month for an ad on the boards, so I would imagine the team makes quite a bit on dasher board ads considering the ad will be seen on tv for 2 1/2 hours on a game night.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Don't look at them. Problem solved. I'd rather the glass be plastered with superimposed ads than see ads on the jerseys.

I thought the ad revenue from the ones on the glass were just for FSN and not the team. after all you can only see them on tv.

thats why i mentioned board ads in my post :P

i just think that the teams are going down a slippery road. for all that say this is better than ads on jerseys, i think thats only a few years away. first it was the boards, then it was the ice, then its the glass; they are running out of places, so the next logical step is uniforms.

fans pay lots of money for tickets; lots of money for merchandise; and pay for cable stations that broadcast the games; yet its always about squeezing more money out of people. the integrity of the game means nothing anymore.

Considering these ads are about professional sports I don't see why you would talk about sports in general, since I think the idea that sports are all about selling s*** is absolutely ridiculous.

Practically everything on this planet has been hijacked and bastardized into a vehicle to access your wallet faster. Sports are just one of many. How's that?

esteef

thats why i mentioned board ads in my post :P

i just think that the teams are going down a slippery road. for all that say this is better than ads on jerseys, i think thats only a few years away. first it was the boards, then it was the ice, then its the glass; they are running out of places, so the next logical step is uniforms.

fans pay lots of money for tickets; lots of money for merchandise; and pay for cable stations that broadcast the games; yet its always about squeezing more money out of people. the integrity of the game means nothing anymore.

Advertising doesn't effect the integrity of the game. Aesthetics are not at all integral.

I can understand complaining if you find it ugly or distracting, but I can't understand being offended by being forced to look at something.