• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

Don't look at them. Problem solved. I'd rather the glass be plastered with superimposed ads than see ads on the jerseys.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#22 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

I thought the ad revenue from the ones on the glass were just for FSN and not the team. after all you can only see them on tv.

thats why i mentioned board ads in my post :P

i just think that the teams are going down a slippery road. for all that say this is better than ads on jerseys, i think thats only a few years away. first it was the boards, then it was the ice, then its the glass; they are running out of places, so the next logical step is uniforms.

fans pay lots of money for tickets; lots of money for merchandise; and pay for cable stations that broadcast the games; yet its always about squeezing more money out of people. the integrity of the game means nothing anymore.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#23 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

Considering these ads are about professional sports I don't see why you would talk about sports in general, since I think the idea that sports are all about selling s*** is absolutely ridiculous.

Practically everything on this planet has been hijacked and bastardized into a vehicle to access your wallet faster. Sports are just one of many. How's that?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#24 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

I tend to pay more attention to what's happening on the ice, rather than what's being superimposed on the glass.

No biggie to me.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#25 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

thats why i mentioned board ads in my post :P

i just think that the teams are going down a slippery road. for all that say this is better than ads on jerseys, i think thats only a few years away. first it was the boards, then it was the ice, then its the glass; they are running out of places, so the next logical step is uniforms.

fans pay lots of money for tickets; lots of money for merchandise; and pay for cable stations that broadcast the games; yet its always about squeezing more money out of people. the integrity of the game means nothing anymore.

Advertising doesn't effect the integrity of the game. Aesthetics are not at all integral.

I can understand complaining if you find it ugly or distracting, but I can't understand being offended by being forced to look at something.

#26 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

TBH I couldn't tell you what advertisers are on the dasher boards. I don't understand why businesses believe that putting their ads on the boards are going to get people to use/buy their business/products. However, if it does help revenue for the teams (dasher board ads) I'm all for it. It doesn't distract me at all from the game.

#27 indk

indk

Jr. Prospect

• 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Maybe it's just me but I don't really find this distracting at all. I keep my attention towards the play on the ice, not the glass / audience.

#28 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

I loved going to bull fights in Madrid. Before the event there are ads up all along and around the arena, but prior to it beginning they will literally take every single one down.

You'd be amazed at the change - we've become so used to it, but without the ads it is like you are transported back decades in time. Tough to explain how it can make such a difference, but I just loved that aspect of it. No distractions, no fluff - just the event you paid to see.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#29 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

If anything, the good old multi-repeat commercials are the most annoying. f*** Sam Bernstein, the cross-eyed kid, his shyster son, and the dame. They are way more offensive than anything in/on the rink.

#30 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

If you don't like it find a way to get into contact with fsn Detroit and make your opinion heard. bitching about it on here wont change anything.

#31 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

If you don't like it find a way to get into contact with fsn Detroit and make your opinion heard. bitching about it on here wont change anything.

god thats such a stupid response. i guess all team related threads should be closed because it doesn't matter what any of us think since we aren't the coach or GM.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#32 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Maybe FSD should put those ads on the glass all the way down the length of the rink, to hide all the empty lower bowl seats!

#33 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

god thats such a stupid response. i guess all team related threads should be closed because it doesn't matter what any of us think since we aren't the coach or GM.

Can we please have the minus button back? Now I have to think of something intelligent to say.

Ok, here goes. If FSD is the entity in charge of making the decision, then it would make sense to contact them with feedback. It could make a difference.

Those people that make the bags of chips that sound like they're going to break in a moment's notice have stopped making them the only bag they package their chips in because people have complained.

Start a petition, write letters or organize a protest. Do what you must to change things.

#34 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

Can we please have the minus button back? Now I have to think of something intelligent to say.

Ok, here goes. If FSD is the entity in charge of making the decision, then it would make sense to contact them with feedback. It could make a difference.

Those people that make the bags of chips that sound like they're going to break in a moment's notice have stopped making them the only bag they package their chips in because people have complained.

Start a petition, write letters or organize a protest. Do what you must to change things.

guess what another great way to get things started would be? perhaps going on a red wings message board to share your opinion and see what others think?

naw, thats obviously absurd.

disregard the fact that message boards are meant for discussion. why would we ever want to do something so silly?!?!?!

i didn't start the thread, so i really don't care, but i certainly respect the OP for his opinion.

if you don't like the thread, just ignore it. or i guess you could continue to be an ******* about it...

#35 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

I don't like the ads on the ice, either. When did that start? Have I just been oblivious to that in the past? Man I hate cheap consumerism.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#36 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

The ads were on the glass at the end of last season for sure, and probably before then too. I agree with some of the other posts here--they don't bother me because I'd rather focus on the action on the ice than whats on the glass (unless it's the opposing team's face smashed into the glass)! :hehe:

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

I'd rather have ads on the seats or the ceiling of the arena :hehe:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:53 AM

I'd rather have ads on the seats or the ceiling of the arena :hehe:

Maybe take down all of those stupid banners that hang up there. Replace them with Call Sam, Dr. Ramahni, and Belle Tire banners.

#39 IDLE19

IDLE19

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

so Fox sports wants to me to look at as these lame adds plus possibly charging me %50 more for dishnetwork. they can go to hell

#40 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

The teams aren't doing it, Fox sports and the other stations are doing it. Neither the teams nor the NHL get any of that money. It goes to the station.

Are you sure about that? It is just my guess but I would think that the NHL would have say over whether or not broadcasters can superimpose ads on their games and they surely wouldn't allow it with out getting their cut.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain