Filppula

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 hatrickswayze

hatrickswayze

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Isles fan here, just had a question about Valterri. Do you guys think all this talk about expecting more out of him, and him becoming an upper-echelon player is possible?

I've watched more than a few Wings games the past few years, and I don't remember him standing out at all. So if I'm correct that he hasn't been an impact player, do you think he's about to become one in the next year or two? Playing with Franzen sure couldn't hurt, but is he the type of player that can produce on his own, or does he need someone like Johan in order to be a legitimate factor?

I have to confess that the main reason I'm asking is because he's still available in my fantasy league, but I'm also curious just in general as to what you guys think of him.

Edited by hatrickswayze, 10 October 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

He's been getting more points every year. I expect 70 points out of him this year at least. If your in a lengthy draft, he is definitely a good option.

O.o

#3 hatrickswayze

hatrickswayze

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

Wow, I was hoping he might get 60 maybe, but 70? And I'm guessing he's on the 2nd PP unit?

#4 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

He could drop a 20 and 45. We're paying him to.
*this space for rent*

#5 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

70 points would be huge for Filppula...
So far he is scoring with pure hustle and tenacity; have loved his game. Not sure if he has the skill to really sustain it, but hope so.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#6 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

He was on pace for 53 points last season. On second line with PP time and no injuries, he could easily get 60 (and hopefully 70)

O.o

#7 LarryMurphySpecial

LarryMurphySpecial

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

He's been getting more points every year. I expect 70 points out of him this year at least. If your in a lengthy draft, he is definitely a good option.

Jesus christ the guy has two gimme goals thanks to Franzen's sick pass and Turco impersonating Hellan Kellar and suddenly hes a top 35 scorer in the league...

#8 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

Ya, I don't know about 70, but 60 with 15 power play points is probably reasonable.

#9 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

Filppula is a really solid 2nd line center, it seems like every year he's getting better and better. Fil's so slick on his skates and I noticed he started shooting more. Once Fil gets the timing down, when to shoot and when not to, he's going to be very, very good. Keep him with Franzen and Fil could easily get at least 55-60 points.

#10 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

Jesus christ the guy has two gimme goals thanks to Franzen's sick pass and Turco impersonating Hellan Kellar and suddenly hes a top 35 scorer in the league...

Have you ever watched a hockey game in your life? That fact he got 2 goals last game is no coincidence, even if they weren't spectacular goals. Flip is playing his ass off, in fact he always has, and now he is being rewarded for it. It's long overdue.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 10 October 2010 - 11:11 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#11 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

Have you ever watched a hockey game in your life? That fact he got 2 goals last game is no coincidence, even if they weren't spectacular goals. Flip is playing his ass off, in fact he always has, and now he is being rewarded for it. It's long overdue.

Couldn't have said it better. Filppula looks REALLY good right now and even more slick than he did last year. I know it's only two games in the season, but it seems like Fil's carrying the momentum he had from the playoffs last year.

#12 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

He's a great skater and a sick shut down guy that (in the past) didn't shoot the puck enough. He's been stuck on the 3rd line far too long due to Wings depth. He should have no problems scoring 65-70 points on the 2nd line with Franzen and Bertuzzi if he stays healthy. That line has been our best line the past 2 games.

I think he needs a shooter on his line to make him more effective in racking up the points.

#13 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

I like Fil and everything he brings, but I am yet to be convinced of his offensive upside.

He has had plenty of opportunities on offense, at times playing with some of the best offensive players int he game. He was supposed to have a breakout season for the past three years, and until he does, I will remain unconvinced, though he is perfectly capable of it.

That said, he is in incredible defensive player and works his ass off in every game. Glad that he showed up on the scoreboard last game. I really hope he can keep it up and make a consistent go of it on offense this season.
Posted Image

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

The guy you're responding to is a bit of a negative nancy.

#15 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:38 AM

IMO for the past years we've watched Filppula, this is probably the only year that I see fire in him. I feel like he just wants to take control of the team and be the best player on this team.

His matured and seems to me he will have his best season thus far, I'm loving the intensity level his at right now.

#16 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Isles fan here, just had a question about Valterri. Do you guys think all this talk about expecting more out of him, and him becoming an upper-echelon player is possible?

I've watched more than a few Wings games the past few years, and I don't remember him standing out at all. So if I'm correct that he hasn't been an impact player, do you think he's about to become one in the next year or two? Playing with Franzen sure couldn't hurt, but is he the type of player that can produce on his own, or does he need someone like Johan in order to be a legitimate factor?

I have to confess that the main reason I'm asking is because he's still available in my fantasy league, but I'm also curious just in general as to what you guys think of him.

If any of the "more than a few" games you watched were playoff games, I'm seriously surprised that he didn't stand out to you. He really steps his game up come April.

Val could certainly have an amazing season. I think people underestimate his hands, his shot, and his speed. It's not necessarily that people think he's lacking, I just don't think most people give him enough credit. He's not world-class in any of those areas, but he's definitely got all those tools. Especially his speed, I think that's probably his most-overlooked trait. The dude can fly.

He's always been criticized for not shooting enough, but it looks like he might be getting over that. On top of all this, he's very good defensively (not that that will do you any good in fantasy). If he and Franzen continue to develop chemistry, we'll have an (even more) incredible 2nd line. The way I see Val is a sort of jack of all trades (in a good way). He's pretty well above average in just about everything, but not quite good enough at any one thing to inspire fear in opponents or earn serious recognition for anything.

I see him having a career year for sure. I expect (as in I'll be somewhat disappointed if he plays a full season and doesn't get there) 60 points, and I can see him reaching 70, but I don't expect that from him.

Disclaimer: I am one of the biggest Filppula fans around, and I'm completely willing to admit my assessment of him may be clouded by man-crush on him :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#17 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:57 AM

Filppula can flat out fly on the ice. He is 2nd on the team in speed to Helm, and it's very close. If he and Franzen can stay healthy, they will tear apart every 2nd line in the league. 60+ points for Fil for sure. :siren:

#18 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

Filppula can flat out fly on the ice. He is 2nd on the team in speed to Helm, and it's very close.

I'm glad someone else sees it that way. FinRedWing and I have come to the same conclusion. I really want to see them race.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#19 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:19 AM

I'm glad someone else sees it that way. FinRedWing and I have come to the same conclusion. I really want to see them race.

Babs once said that Fil is the best skater on the team. Something like that.

A race would be nuts. Fil has always had to pace himself for around 15-17 minutes right? So what if he could just go balls to wall? So much questions.

#20 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:21 AM

I think if Fil stays healthy 65 points would be a fair number to shoot for.

The last 2 years have kind of held his development back. In 08-09 bringing in Hossa, and Babcock's decision to split up Pav and Z left Fil stuck on the 3rd line. That year when he was moved up to the 2nd line and played with Hossa and Leino, Fil played his ass off. Last year just as he was starting to find his groove, he broke his wrist. It took until the playoffs for him to really get back up to speed. In my opinion.

This year, save for any injuries, I feel that he will have his breakout year. Kenny and Babs have repeatedly said that they expect him to raise his game to the next level. The thought of a possible trade will be in the back of his head all year. Especially if he falls into a slump.

Besides, someone will be getting assists when Franzen scores 50 goals.