• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
10 Minute Misconduct

Wisniewski makes obscene gesture towards Avery

Rate this topic

I don't think its a big deal at all, but they should mete out some nominal discipline for it. Cursing usually isn't picked up by the on ice mics, but all physical gesturing is. If it wasn't discouraged I could just see it now...the entire Ducks team jerking off their sticks and blowing their butt ends.

What exactly does him doing an obscene gesture have anything to do with the "extreme right wing morality" as mentioned above? Why are you guys trying to start a political debate where there is none. Here's the facts. He made and obscene gesture that violates the NHL players code of conduct. The league suspended him for it. It has nothing to do with the right wing, or the religious right, or anything of the sort. If you have an issue with not allowing obscene gestures, take it up with the league.

And I what Wisniewski did was funny as hell. Almost made me laugh out loud during Cell Bio lecture.

I hate when people make things political when there's no need for it. This has nothing to do with Jesus, Republicans, Democrats, Obama, right-wing, left-wing or anything else ridiculous like that.

There's a code of conduct that all NHL players have to abide by, and making oral sex gestures toward someone else on the ice violates that code of conduct. It's as simple as that. You may personally find it funny, you may personally find it un-funny. Doesn't matter. If I did that at my job, I would be fired, as would just about everyone else here.....if not severely reprimanded by our higher-ups. So why should an athlete expect to be treated any differently? I guarantee that if Derek Jeter or Albert Pujols did something like that on the field toward an ump or another player, they'd be thrown out of the game, suspended AND fined.

If Bud Selig can get it, so can you.

Personally, I think this should be suspended. Only because this is on TV for all of the little kids to watch and start copying. If a guy in a beer league did it, however, I would have no problem. This is also why players can't swear to the media or get suspended for saying things like "sloppy seconds." Even though personally I think this is worse than sloppy seconds.

Still funny though. But it's not for everyone to see.

(with the voice of the very Chef of South Park)

children, stop. you're doing it wrong...

leave the right wing, leave Obama, leave Jesus. don't you know it's all Canada's fault?

(/with the voice of the very Chef of South Park)

south-park-blame-canada.jpg

Some people have a hard time understanding what goes on in a game and see it as being so terrible when they've never played the game themselves.

Being a hockey player doesn't automatically make you right, by the way. All sports involve adrenaline and emotions, but you don't see stuff like this in basketball or football. I have played on sports teams before, and I'm sure almost everyone here has at some point. We know what it's like when an opponent gets under your skin. But we also know that people are watching. If I played a sport on TV professionally, I would have to watch my actions because this is not just sports we are dealing with, but the entire media as well.

So as for your above statement, yes I understand what goes on in a game. Hockey is not the only sport where you get really pissed off at your opponents, and you are not the only one that knows anything about sports and emotion. We all know what it's like. But sometimes you need to control yourself on TV. TV is not the same as a beer league or school.

I hate when people make things political when there's no need for it. This has nothing to do with Jesus, Republicans, Democrats, Obama, right-wing, left-wing or anything else ridiculous like that.

I'm assuming you're referring to my post. I didn't mean to start a political debate, and I don't think there is one. All I was trying to say is that I feel that, as a society, we've become so sensitive to things that might be deemed "offensive" that players are getting game suspensions for making stupid gestures. Give a 2 minute penalty, its unsportsmanlike conduct, and the threat of having your team be shorthanded because of your stupidity is more than enough to curb this kind of behavior. Hockey is a game where you're pounded the crap out of the other team, and they're doing the same to you. Emotions run high, adrenaline is pumping, sometimes it can all get the best of you.

Datsyuk's getting scrappy, what if late in the season, with a playoff spot in the balance, he gets suspended because he swore at another player and it accidentally got picked up by a mic? That's note right.

Maybe Wisniewski was trying to show Avery how to eat a popsicle? You gotta have context people :hehe: (I kid, I kid...)

WISNIEWSKI SUSPENDED FOR TWO GAMES

Defenseman receives two game suspension for actions in Monday's victory over the New York Rangers

New York Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski has been given a two-game-suspension from the National Hockey League for his actions involving an altercation in the Islanders game on Monday afternoon against the New York Rangers.

The Canton, MI native was acquired by the Islanders this past off-season and played in the team's first two games, tallying a goal and two assists for three points.

"A lot of actions on the ice are regrettable," Wisniewski said. "I've been given a suspension from the league and I'm going to accept it and move on from here."

Wisniewski will miss the Islanders game on Wednesday when they take on the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center and Friday's contest against the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Consol Energy Center.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540371&navid=DL|NYI|home

Edited by darkmanx

I thought this was funny, especially considering it was targeted at Avery. However, not surprised he's getting a couple games for it, the puzzling thing though is he's suspended for a gesture, but guys are still gettin away with headshots, and brutal hits from behind that are hurting people.