slow day in hockey world?

My wish: A healthy roster

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:22 AM

The reason you appoint players to the roles of Captain and Alternate Captain is that you believe that player can lead by example, that they are worthy of the role. If I were Garth Snow, I would rip the "A" off his jersey as fast as I could. If the Islanders organization truly believes that he's one of the best they have for that role, it doesn't say much for the team.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#43 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

First off: That was hilarious.
Secondly: That does not belong on tv where kids can see it and emulate it. They have enough problems these days figuring out right from wrong and appropriate from inappropriate. If it was on a show that was rated M (or whatever they call PG-13 or R on tv) that would be fine. You know it's coming. That's why they have the ratings- so people can choose what they want to see and what they want their kids to see.

However, this is hockey, and I don't blame Wisniewski one bit. I blame the tv people. They have multiple camera angles and they choose which ones to air. There's a huge difference between doing something like that on the ice during a game and doing it in an interview or in the direction of a camera.

If the NHL, FCC, IRS, BBQ, WTF or any other arrangement of letters has a problem with it, they should be informing the tv stations and telling whomever is directing it to avoid airing such things.

#44 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

The reason you appoint players to the roles of Captain and Alternate Captain is that you believe that player can lead by example, that they are worthy of the role. If I were Garth Snow, I would rip the "A" off his jersey as fast as I could. If the Islanders organization truly believes that he's one of the best they have for that role, it doesn't say much for the team.

:clap:

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#45 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

Always wondered why it's okay to show so much violence, blood and gore on tv but even the slight showing of a nipple or a "sexual gesture" (just examples) is completely outrageous to americans....even though it's more normal/natural than the violence.

Edited by mindfly, 12 October 2010 - 09:02 AM.

#46 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

this just goes on to support my idea of uncensored NHL hockey on a "requested channel"

that would rock!

miked up benches....trash talking....unabashed interviews.

yeah....sign me up.

of course, i'm in dreamland about this.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

I would love to see an uncensored sports channel. Then you can see all these things throughout every sport. I would subscribe to this in a heartbeat as well.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

Pretty funny to see but incredibly bad judgment by Wiz. If you're on the ice it's safe to assume you're on camera. Did he think he was in a beer league or something?

Television contracts (meager as they are compared to other pro sports) are what help pay his $3.25 million salary.

#48 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

i've said it once, i'll say it again. This isn't the ballet. This is hockey, grown men playing an incredibly high emotion game.

What about the times the mic's pick up swearing? Should the offender be dealt with and get his "A" ripped from his jersey? Please. This stuff happens in EVERY game, it just happened to get picked up this time.

Like someone said above, why is it that violence is perfectly a.ok. or the fact that we have shows based entirely on sex; Cougar Town anyone? I am pretty sure far worse things are being said on prime time television shows than a gesture by some hockey player. It wasn't even that obscene, not like he was miming the family jewels and at least he left the tongue in cheek motion out :hehe:

#49 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

[political rant] This is just sad, and is a perfect example of how far this country has succumbed to extreme right wing morality. A nip slip, and you get fined millions. A random mic accidentally pics up some off color remarks? More fines! Its not like they're really protecting the children, which is the argument used for this kind of censorship. I went through the public school system and saw worse gestures in 6th grade than what I've seen watching hockey. [/political rant]

Some obscene gestures in hockey, a full contact sport that includes checking and fighting, results in game suspensions? I can understand a penalty, but suspensions? Gimme a break...

#50 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

i've said it once, i'll say it again. This isn't the ballet. This is hockey, grown men playing an incredibly high emotion game.

What about the times the mic's pick up swearing? Should the offender be dealt with and get his "A" ripped from his jersey? Please. This stuff happens in EVERY game, it just happened to get picked up this time.

Like someone said above, why is it that violence is perfectly a.ok. or the fact that we have shows based entirely on sex; Cougar Town anyone? I am pretty sure far worse things are being said on prime time television shows than a gesture by some hockey player. It wasn't even that obscene, not like he was miming the family jewels and at least he left the tongue in cheek motion out :hehe:

Exactly. Grown men, who should be able to resist making an obscene gesture like a 13 year old boy on television. I'm not offended by it, but I understand why the league has to limit stuff like this. Football is an incredibly high emotional game. they wouldn't allow this kind of stuff either.

Wiz wasn't on the bench and a camera happened to catch him. He was on the friggin ice by the goalie right after a play. Of course that's going to be televised. And that does not happen every game.

Like them or not, television stations have decency standards they have to abide by. Honestly they're contradictory and often ridiculous, but the shows running on them still have to try to honor them. If you want hockey to be an even more marginalized sport, then let guys skate around the ice making obscene gestures at one another after plays.

The fact that he's an alternate captain just makes the lack of judgment even more glaring.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 12 October 2010 - 09:09 AM.

#51 Lord Stanely

Lord Stanely

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Location:North Central Iowa, via Chicago, via Adrian, MI; via Warren

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

I'm just curious what will come of this?

He's just lucky he didn't get ejaculated from the game.
Stuck in God-forsaken North Central Iowa with no hockey, hills, food or trees!

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Shades of Aaron Downey.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#53 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

Posted Image

In all seriousness, it was an inappropriate gesture on the ice and he deserves any discipline he receives...but it was still funny. :P

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

From Toronto Sun:

Wisniewski said he couldn’t recall doing the gesture, but the video evidence was on YouTube before the match was even completed.

"When are these players going to figure it out? We do have cameras at games," a league source told ESPN.com.

#55 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

From Toronto Sun:

AAAAAAAND there is it. Suspension likely I would say... Totally stupid. I am going to go ahead and order my Red Wings tutu. Hopefully Franzen scores a triple axle twist tonight.

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

If he only realized how ridiculous he looked doing it; but he doesn't because he's in denial The good news could be that soon he'll be doing commercials for this business.

#57 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

Oh come on. Everybody knows Avery deep throats everyone else in the NHL.

#58 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Nice to see Avery can still make other players look stupid. Best agitator in the league.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#59 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

I don't think its a big deal at all, but they should mete out some nominal discipline for it. Cursing usually isn't picked up by the on ice mics, but all physical gesturing is. If it wasn't discouraged I could just see it now...the entire Ducks team jerking off their sticks and blowing their butt ends.

works every time

#60 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

What exactly does him doing an obscene gesture have anything to do with the "extreme right wing morality" as mentioned above? Why are you guys trying to start a political debate where there is none. Here's the facts. He made and obscene gesture that violates the NHL players code of conduct. The league suspended him for it. It has nothing to do with the right wing, or the religious right, or anything of the sort. If you have an issue with not allowing obscene gestures, take it up with the league.

And I what Wisniewski did was funny as hell. Almost made me laugh out loud during Cell Bio lecture.