• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
crotty99

Should the NHL premiere games continue?

Rate this topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Over-and-out-Time-to-leave-the-NHL-Premiere-Gam?urn=nhl-275929

Interesting article from PD.

What do you think? I always thought it was a strange idea to open games in Europe myself. Not only does it put extra burden on the teams involved (travel wise) but it seems odd to me that the NHL likes to push the game to overseas markets when its American market continutes to struggle.

Saying that, if they were ever to come out to Australia, I'd pay any amount to go :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Over-and-out-Time-to-leave-the-NHL-Premiere-Gam?urn=nhl-275929

Interesting article from PD.

What do you think? I always thought it was a strange idea to open games in Europe myself. Not only does it put extra burden on the teams involved (travel wise) but it seems odd to me that the NHL likes to push the game to overseas markets when its American market continutes to struggle.

Saying that, if they were ever to come out to Australia, I'd pay any amount to go :lol:

I think it's a good idea, but the league should figure out a way to make it more special. Its good that they try to showcase Swedes and Finns to their respective countries, but opening the season there isn't the best for the teams or even the audience.

Maybe they could do New Years Day games there. Obviously they would be few hours earlier, and they don't show the Premiere games on NBC anyway so they wouldn't compete with the Winter Classic.

I say its a good idea on non-olympic years to do this. Then you can give teams the chance to play in a different country and give others the opportunity to see an NHL game live. If you do this on non-olympic years, then you also give teams a chance to rest and get acclimated to the time change when they get back.

I say its a good idea on non-olympic years to do this. Then you can give teams the chance to play in a different country and give others the opportunity to see an NHL game live. If you do this on non-olympic years, then you also give teams a chance to rest and get acclimated to the time change when they get back.

I hate it - As was already covered, they need to grow the game here in America better, so why are they focusing revenue and travel overseas?

I think if anything, they should do several opening games at neutral sites here in the States and Canada, that otherwise don't get NHL action... once the game is a top attraction here, then you can focus on overseas games...

I like the idea of doing something for the overseas market but I don't think this is the right way to do it. Do they really need to send 6 teams over there? Does it have to be at the start of the season? I think it should be reevaluated.

Also, from the sounds of things, the pricing is a bit high and games aren't selling out. If they are going to do it, atleast put on a show that you know will sell. I think limiting the amount of games would help this somewhat.

I like the idea of doing something for the overseas market but I don't think this is the right way to do it. Do they really need to send 6 teams over there? Does it have to be at the start of the season? I think it should be reevaluated.

Also, from the sounds of things, the pricing is a bit high and games aren't selling out. If they are going to do it, atleast put on a show that you know will sell. I think limiting the amount of games would help this somewhat.

this. I also think it should be noted that the teams a) didn't have all the large a rivalry and most importantly b) PHOENIX HAS NO FANS.

I think the fact that there were fewer fans at that game is a testament to the amount of fans there. Last year when it was Wings vs. Blues there was a longtime rivalry between the clubs, Blues had some fans and Wings had their fans. If you're going to do it, make sure you have teams that are making it entertaining. That said, I think it's a bad idea to have them, one series (2 games) is fine, but 6 teams going over there just makes it seem less unique. Less of a draw for the crowds.

I hate it - As was already covered, they need to grow the game here in America better, so why are they focusing revenue and travel overseas?

I think if anything, they should do several opening games at neutral sites here in the States and Canada, that otherwise don't get NHL action... once the game is a top attraction here, then you can focus on overseas games...

Great idea. but im sure we all know that wont be happening anytime soon....

Also, from the sounds of things, the pricing is a bit high and games aren't selling out.

Not all European countries are the same. US sports have a huge following in England but it seems only if played by actual US-based teams.

Having attended both the Ducks/Kings games at the O2 Arena in London, start of the '07-'08 season, I can say this was defintely not an issue there. Tickets sold out in very short time. Same as the pre-season NFL games that have been played in London, tickets sell-out. The Red Wings games I attended in Stockholm last season, whilst sold-out (or near enough) just didn't seem to have the same atmosphere as the London games.

In mainland Europe many countries have ther own leagues which play to a fairly high standard, which means hockey fans in those countries might be less inclinded to look elsewhere for their fix and hence the lower turn-outs for NHL games.

The top level of UK ice hockey (EIHL) is not much more than a beer league (about ECHL level quality-wise) and the majority of the ten team within the league struggle financially, mainly due to very low crowd numbers. So London (and England as a whole) have very little 'hockey culture' but there is a sizeable following for the NHL, go figure.

Honestly, I can see where they want to go with it, but in the end its WAY to early. What makes hockey games special stateside is the home games, the atmosphere. If I attended a wings game overseas I don't think it would ever have the same feeling as it would be at the Joe. The Joe is incredible for hockey games, seating, the fans, the flames, the horn, its overwhelming at times. I don't forsee that happening overseas. You'll have the fans, but to the point that we love our home teams stateside and the things we LOVE about our arenas wouldn't be there. It's like sending over football teams from europe (soccer) and having American fans watch the game, sure we'll have our fans that love the teams locally but the enviroment wouldn't compare to an actual game in Europe.

Interesting topic. One problem I think is sending all those teams over to play in 3 cities at once and 2 games in each city. I know with the NFL's Wembley games people travelled from all over the UK and Ireland as well as the rest of Europe to watch those games. With hockey you have it going on around the same time in 3 cities so people won't all flow to one place, people have more options so can pick and choose their game.

Also as someone mentioned already the price for these games was huge. The Bruins played a game in Belfast v an Elite League Select. This was over £40 to go and see. The normal price for a Belfast Giants game is £15. Almost 3 times to see 1 NHL team against a team of lowly skilled players. The game was never going to be competitive. I didn't go for financial reasons.

However if the Red Wings came to the UK to play another NHL team I'd have to say I would definitely be there.

they should have 4 teams over there and play 2 games on the same day...make an event of it....didn't really seem like much of an event, but more of an attempt of a money grab by bettman.