• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Kirk Maltby to announce he is retiring

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Best of luck, Maltby!

Draper is probably a lot closer to retirement than he wants to admit.

I wish he had retired so that Ritola could have been retained, but it wasn't reasonable to expect him to do so.

Edited by Crymson

So... Maltby what was the point of signing a contract if you was just going to retire?

-

Many, many thanks for all the years of service, Kirk.

I hope you decide to take up the Wings' offer of a front office job!

I know he was probably due to leave the ice, but this just breaks my heart. SOOO many great memories. :(:blush:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:champs:

My favorite Maltby memory was in 2002. It was in Game 5 against the Blues and the Wings were shorthanded. Maltby's stick breaks, but we're being held down in our own zone, so Malts goes on to throw himself all over the ice blocking at least 4 shots and I believe cleared the zone himself. The entire Joe was on their feet screaming, "MALTBY! MALTBY!" at a level that has only been heard before as "STEVIE! STEVIE!".

So... Maltby what was the point of signing a contract if you was just going to retire?

Draper should follow suit

When I read some of the posts in this thread, I am just appalled. Here is a guy that gave his heart and soul to the organization. He was a penalty killer and a grind liner. You don't win four Stanley Cups by accident. Detroit knew what they had here and they treated him well for many years. In return, he gave everything he had to the organization.

Yet, some of the fans on this forum piss on him and other players. Even Lidstrom is a target by some people, which is disgusting being as that we are all fans of the Red Wings here. This isn't the HFboards where there are asshats a plenty out there that like to start flame wars with other teams and fans.

I expect people here will be supportive of their Red Wings and the management. After all, they deserve to have our support being as that they haven't missed the playoffs in 25 of the last 27 seasons and the last 19 in a row. The players have shown that they care about playing in Detroit by giving it their all season after season after season.

Here is Maltby, a player who has given it their all for years. 75% of the posts here have the right attitude, which is supportive and remembering what Maltby brought to the table. The rest of the posters here are true morons. If not for the fact that they don't remember what Maltby did for the organization, but because he is a Red Wing. He will take a job in the front office because the Red Wings care about their players and the players care about playing here. I don't see this kind of commitment from many organizations out there.

Support your Red Wings guys. They are your team. If you don't like the team, go bandwagon on the Sharks and Hawks. I heard they need more fans on the bandwagon these days.

Happy retirement Maltby! You will be missed.

this is draper's last season as a wing. he will retire. i think he probably realized like the rest of us that his career was over 2 years ago.

the grind line was bad ass though. they were awesome for the wings for quite a while and were instrumental in the first 3 cups. time for helm and abby and the other young guys to take over.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

I would have loved for the team to recall maltby instead of Janik for the game tonight, and right after the game hold the presser to announce the retirement. Give the guy onw last game and a proper farewell.

It's kinda weird that only Draper, Holmstrom and Lidstrom remain as the wings that have been here since the 97 cup.

for all Maltby-haters:

Malts:

:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs:

you:

:violin:

great career and huge thanks for years in service :showoff:

here's for new life outside of playing hockey. have more time with the family

and enjoy your other hobbies more than before :beerbuddy:

:beerbuddy: Cheers Malts. Best wishes in your retirement. Just the type of role-player every championship team needs.

It was time, but still a little depressing. It reminds me that in the next two years, we could possibly see the end of Draper, Homer, Lidstrom, and Ozzie as well. The end of an era approaches. :(

Thanks for a great career Malts! I'm looking forward to looking up at the press box at The Joe and seeing you and Cheli hanging with Kenny and Jimmy Nill (assuming you and Cheli are taking Verbeek's and Yzerman's old jobs).

:thumbdown:

When I read some of the posts in this thread, I am just appalled. Here is a guy that gave his heart and soul to the organization. He was a penalty killer and a grind liner. You don't win four Stanley Cups by accident. Detroit knew what they had here and they treated him well for many years. In return, he gave everything he had to the organization.

Yet, some of the fans on this forum piss on him and other players. Even Lidstrom is a target by some people, which is disgusting being as that we are all fans of the Red Wings here. This isn't the HFboards where there are asshats a plenty out there that like to start flame wars with other teams and fans.

I expect people here will be supportive of their Red Wings and the management. After all, they deserve to have our support being as that they haven't missed the playoffs in 25 of the last 27 seasons and the last 19 in a row. The players have shown that they care about playing in Detroit by giving it their all season after season after season.

Here is Maltby, a player who has given it their all for years. 75% of the posts here have the right attitude, which is supportive and remembering what Maltby brought to the table. The rest of the posters here are true morons. If not for the fact that they don't remember what Maltby did for the organization, but because he is a Red Wing. He will take a job in the front office because the Red Wings care about their players and the players care about playing here. I don't see this kind of commitment from many organizations out there.

Support your Red Wings guys. They are your team. If you don't like the team, go bandwagon on the Sharks and Hawks. I heard they need more fans on the bandwagon these days.

Happy retirement Maltby! You will be missed.

Thanks Nightfall. I was around when the Wings weren't making the playoffs every year and I remember when we made the playoffs in 1988. I just remember how excited I was ( I was only 9), I thought then that this team was going to do something special, then followed up the next year with 19 wins and didn't even sniff the playoffs and I wondered what was next. We all now what happened, but I always kept the faith in this team. I think may people on this board were not around during the DeadWings era, because if they were, we would not see these crazy comments about players like Malts and Drapes and yes, Even Lidstrom (which just baffles me)!

I will always remember Maltby in the playoffs, right when we needed a big goal, everyone would pick Stevie, Shanny, Kozlov, Feds, ect and who ended up with a goal..... Kirk Maltby! As far as I'm concerned, Malts was one of the best faces of the organization that there ever was. Will the #18 go to the rafters, probably not, but he will always be at the top of the lists of players with the biggest heart and dedication. We'll miss you Malts!! GO WINGS!!