#21 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Maltby>>>>>>>Miller

Thanks Drew you redundant useless SOB <_<

Wish Malts all the best, never forget the time I urinated beside him in cheli's chili.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#22 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

When one door closes, another one opens...

He never had a boatload of points, but you can't fault the guy who has four Stanley Cups as part of his resume. Here's hoping the next part of the journey will be as positive and exciting as the last one was. Thanks for the memories, and all the times at training camp that you were a complete gentleman. You'll be missed.
Posted Image

#23 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

This is a shame but all things considered, it is probably the best thing that could happen for the Wings and Maltby as well. He probably did not want to play elsehwere and now I believe he will join the front office in some capacity (scout). Dude was outstanding in his prime and has taken far too much abuse on these boards. Makes me depressed to see him retire on a day wherein the Wings and Avs will be locking horns.

#24 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

4 Cup Rings. A career well done.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#25 hoogs

hoogs

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 403 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Draper should follow suit

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

I'll miss seeing him out there, but he did what's best for the team.

It was very exciting watching that Grind Line out there kicking ass. Draper will be lonely now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Best of luck, Maltby!

Draper is probably a lot closer to retirement than he wants to admit.

I wish he had retired so that Ritola could have been retained, but it wasn't reasonable to expect him to do so.

Edited by Crymson, 12 October 2010 - 11:55 AM.

#28 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

So... Maltby what was the point of signing a contract if you was just going to retire?

-

Many, many thanks for all the years of service, Kirk.

I hope you decide to take up the Wings' offer of a front office job!

I know he was probably due to leave the ice, but this just breaks my heart. SOOO many great memories. :( :blush:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:champs:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#29 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

about damn time

#30 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

My favorite Maltby memory was in 2002. It was in Game 5 against the Blues and the Wings were shorthanded. Maltby's stick breaks, but we're being held down in our own zone, so Malts goes on to throw himself all over the ice blocking at least 4 shots and I believe cleared the zone himself. The entire Joe was on their feet screaming, "MALTBY! MALTBY!" at a level that has only been heard before as "STEVIE! STEVIE!".

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#31 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

So... Maltby what was the point of signing a contract if you was just going to retire?

Draper should follow suit

When I read some of the posts in this thread, I am just appalled. Here is a guy that gave his heart and soul to the organization. He was a penalty killer and a grind liner. You don't win four Stanley Cups by accident. Detroit knew what they had here and they treated him well for many years. In return, he gave everything he had to the organization.

Yet, some of the fans on this forum piss on him and other players. Even Lidstrom is a target by some people, which is disgusting being as that we are all fans of the Red Wings here. This isn't the HFboards where there are asshats a plenty out there that like to start flame wars with other teams and fans.

I expect people here will be supportive of their Red Wings and the management. After all, they deserve to have our support being as that they haven't missed the playoffs in 25 of the last 27 seasons and the last 19 in a row. The players have shown that they care about playing in Detroit by giving it their all season after season after season.

Here is Maltby, a player who has given it their all for years. 75% of the posts here have the right attitude, which is supportive and remembering what Maltby brought to the table. The rest of the posters here are true morons. If not for the fact that they don't remember what Maltby did for the organization, but because he is a Red Wing. He will take a job in the front office because the Red Wings care about their players and the players care about playing here. I don't see this kind of commitment from many organizations out there.

Support your Red Wings guys. They are your team. If you don't like the team, go bandwagon on the Sharks and Hawks. I heard they need more fans on the bandwagon these days.

Happy retirement Maltby! You will be missed.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#32 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

Sad to see him go, but thanks for the memories, Malts. Have a great retirement and enjoy your free time with your family.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#33 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

this is draper's last season as a wing. he will retire. i think he probably realized like the rest of us that his career was over 2 years ago.

the grind line was bad ass though. they were awesome for the wings for quite a while and were instrumental in the first 3 cups. time for helm and abby and the other young guys to take over.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler, 12 October 2010 - 12:45 PM.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#34 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

exemplified what it means to be a red wing. Passion, hard work, respect, all around great guy. Thanks Maltby!

#35 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

exemplified what it means to be a red wing. Passion, hard work, respect, all around great guy. Thanks Maltby!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#36 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

and everyone saying Draper should retire should learn something about the salary cap. He has a 35+ contract if he retires before his contract is up it still counts against the cap. someone should make a LGW salary cap manual, cuz no one on here understands it

#37 HD30

HD30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

I would have loved for the team to recall maltby instead of Janik for the game tonight, and right after the game hold the presser to announce the retirement. Give the guy onw last game and a proper farewell.

It's kinda weird that only Draper, Holmstrom and Lidstrom remain as the wings that have been here since the 97 cup.

#38 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thank you, Malts!!!

#39 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts