• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Avs coach Bob Hartley and TV man John Kelly went to a Detroit athletic club one time to play racquetball. The owner found out who they were and denied them admission. That's how serious the rivalry was

And they all hated each other. The cities hated each other and the media hated each other. Boy, do I miss it.

http://www.versus.co...s-a-blood-feud/
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#2 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

The bitterness fades slightly when you have won the war.

I still hate the av's...haven't got over that yet.

#3 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

I hate Marc Crawford and various members of those teams - Lemieux, Foote, Ozolinsh, Deadmearsh, etc; but definitely don't have a hatred for the Av's as a team anymore.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#4 Peadydog

Peadydog

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

"Of course, most of the fights came on the ice. Roy-Vernon, round 1. Roy-Osgood round 2. Roy-Hasek round 3 almost happened in 2002, but Hasek tripped over a stick on his way down the ice and stumbled around before things were broken up."

Of course, we all know the stick that Hasek tripped over belonged to Brett Hull. It was his attemp to save Hasek's life!

#5 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

these days all of the players involved in any of the brawls would be suspended, its a damn shame

#6 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

I still hate the av's...haven't got over that yet.

Aside from when I attend a game in Denver whenever the Wings are in town, I couldn't really care less about the Avs. I cheered when they scored that OT goal against Chicago last week.

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

The feistiness that Howard has already shown in his limited time with the Wings (and in the AHL), I suspect he'll have a fight or two before too long.

#8 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Agreed. The only player I still hate is Lemieux, always will. I'll never get over things he said about Draper in the 1996-97 season.

I'm ok now with Roy, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, and Foote, but Lemieux will be nothing more than scum for the rest of his life.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#9 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

It really was the perfect blend of highest skill and utter hatred and you just don't see many rivalries where both of those categories manage to be turned up to 11 like that.

#10 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Agreed. The only player I still hate is Lemieux, always will. I'll never get over things he said about Draper in the 1996-97 season.

I'm ok now with Roy, Forsberg, Deadmarsh, and Foote, but Lemieux will be nothing more than scum for the rest of his life.

You're ok with Roy? I'm not. Guy's a moron and he always will be.

#11 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

We beat him 7-0 and embarrassed him, it's all good! :cool:
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#12 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

The Wings are creating new memories with the Avs by blowing leads and constantly losing to them in the SO.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 12 October 2010 - 10:07 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:46 AM

That's right, Draper deserved it because he was "yapping" Posted Image
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:09 AM

He'll always be a vicious danger to doors everywhere. He must be stopped!

Edited by Crymson, 13 October 2010 - 03:09 AM.

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Sucks to see the last parts of that rivalry retiring. Aaron Ward, Kirk Maltby..There's only a few guys remaining from the rivalry (Which, in my mind, started in 1996 and ended in 2002, but that's just me). Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Draper, Osgood, and Datsyuk (entered at the tail end of the rivalry) for Detroit, and Adam Foote and Milan Hejduk for Colorado. The big pieces to the rivalry (Yzerman, Forsberg, Shanahan, McCarty, Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Sakic, Lacroix, Vernon, Roy, Yelle, De Vries, Ward, etc.) Are gone. The only guys I really still hate are Lemieux, Roy, and Forsberg.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Sucks to see the last parts of that rivalry retiring. Aaron Ward, Kirk Maltby..There's only a few guys remaining from the rivalry (Which, in my mind, started in 1996 and ended in 2002, but that's just me). Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Draper, Osgood, and Datsyuk (entered at the tail end of the rivalry) for Detroit, and Adam Foote and Milan Hejduk for Colorado. The big pieces to the rivalry (Yzerman, Forsberg, Shanahan, McCarty, Lemieux, Deadmarsh, Sakic, Lacroix, Vernon, Roy, Yelle, De Vries, Ward, etc.) Are gone. The only guys I really still hate are Lemieux, Roy, and Forsberg.

Ugh, Greg De Vries was such a ******, too.

#17 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

The Wings are creating new memories with the Avs by blowing leads and constantly losing to them in the SO.

Exactly ... +1 Schrute buck

Edited by PROBIE4PREZ, 13 October 2010 - 03:54 PM.

"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#18 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:08 PM

Exactly ... +1 Schrute buck

Posted Image

#19 deetroit dario

deetroit dario

i ride on two wheels, and they both have wings!

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:37 AM

true story...
back in those days ('98-'01) i worked at the mobil station in milford, across from the shell station. guy pulls into the lot with colorado plates. we get to chatting, he tells me he's just moved here. i ask if he'll be switching sides and rooting wings now. he says he'll stick with his avs. my exact words were "then you can get your ass and your things and get the f*** out...you go to shell for gas and coffee now."

he comes in the next day to complain to my boss (who is a die hard wings fan), who says to him (exact words once again) "so why are you here? he did tell you to get the f*** out and don't come back, didn't he? god, avs fans are sof****** dumb!!!"

miss those days. and kathy, you were the bestest boss ever!!
RAISE #16 TO THE RAFTERS!!!

i think, therefore i'm rare.

#20 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:25 AM

I loved the old rivalry. Loved the action and still love seeing the clips and memoirs.

That said, I don't miss it at all. In large part, this is because how short-lived and hot-burning that particular fire was is part of what made it so great. In my opinion, if it carried on to a new generation of players who weren't involved first hand in the animosity or tried to live through an incarnation of the rules that didn't support it, it would dilute the legacy and make the whole thing less interesting. The Wings-Av rivalry was and will remain legendary because of how it started, how passionate it was and, yes, because it ended. It's a period that's clearly definable and you can see the tingle of it in every bit of action from the period.

I'm hoping that the Nucks-Hawks rivalry is likewise on the same track. It sprung up in the middle of nowhere, between unlikely teams (two teams that are largely composed of skill), and is very 'pure' in the animosity between fans and players. This is opposed to the largely media created and fueled rivalry of the Caps/Pens.

These rivalries are also different than longstanding regional rivalries such as Wings/Hawks, Pens/Pitt, etc. They're unpredictable and unforgiving, and that's why they're so lovable.

Alas, I don't see the Avs as a rival anymore. If anything, as a team stocking young talent while we often seek veterans, I see them as a potential ally. Certainly, they're competing with one of our biggest 'threats' right now in Vancouver, and when they're not playing the Wings, I wish them the best of luck. Nowadays, I direct my animosity towards the Ducks... and there's clearly something existing between the players of both teams towards eachother.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.