• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

The Shootout and the Red Wings

Rate this topic

it seems to me that some of our guys are going in with premeditated moves instead of taking what is given to them by the goalie. It looked like both hudler and Zet just did there move and shot right into the goalie even though he didnt bite.

It would help if Zetterberg didn't constantly go forehand backhand and Hudler didnt always go backhand high. Same moves every time.

We were pretty unlucky tonight, just rolled off Datsyuks stick when he had him beat, Mule and Mo both hit the cross bar.

Generally I agree, but Modano and Franzen both hit the crossbar, and the puck was skipping around a lot tonight. On the bright side, Jimmy looked very patient tonight in the shootout.

Hell, I said half-jokingly that the Wings should've picked up Slava Kozlov. He could've earned his salary in the shootout alone.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

If the overtime was 10 minutes instead of 5 this wouldn't be much of a problem. Wings always seem to dominate OTs and create a ton of chances but time runs out and instead of an OT win it's a SO loss.

That said, Wings SHOULD be better in SOs this year compared to last. Modano, Hudler and a healthy Franzen will all help with that. Didn't tonight, but it's early. If the Wings still have SO problems in a few months this thread is justified.

Sure its frustrating when Howard comes up with so many stops in the shootout but...

Its the the first SO of the year and only the third game. Not time to panic yet. We have plenty of talent in terms of the shootout, simply just didn't get it done tonight in that regard.

The poor shootout performance is not why we lost that game. We lost because we let up a two goal lead through sloppy play and turnovers.

Shootouts basically have nothing to do with skilled players.

That's why certain teams succeed in shootouts despite not having as much talent, while a team like the Wings, with a bunch of fancy stickhandlers, sucks at it.

And yeah, the moves are all the same. Datsyuk went for his patented move, Hudler went for his, and Bertuzzi did that thing where he basically skates to the boards, and then decides to move on goal at turtleneck speed. Also, Zetterberg did his patented "nothing happens" move.

Goalies around the league scout these kinds of things.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Shootouts basically have nothing to do with skilled players.

That's why certain teams succeed in shootouts despite not having as much talent, while a team like the Wings, with a bunch of fancy stickhandlers, sucks at it.

And yeah, the moves are all the same. Datsyuk went for his patented move, Hudler went for his, and Bertuzzi did that thing where he basically skates to the boards, and then decides to move on goal at turtleneck speed. Also, Zetterberg did his patented "nothing happens" move.

Goalies around the league scout these kinds of things.

datsyuk did still trick the goalie though,he just didn't elevate the puck

why cant z do this anymore.

It's the damn EDGE jerseys!

But seriously:

img13123411.jpg

Okay, maybe not so seriously. But seriously.

Anyway, Jimmy put up a strong effort in the SO. I didn't see the game, but obviously the Wings let the Avs back in 3 times throughout regulation. I agree that Detroit always just seems to run out of time in OT and would love to see 10 minutes of it. Like has been said, though, they already looked better last night than they did at almost any other point in shootouts last year - so I'll panic if it becomes a trend again.