• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

The Shootout and the Red Wings

Rate this topic

The ice seemed really crappy last night too. Puck was bouncing all over the place and it seemed like every shootout opportunity, the puck started rolling, resulting in a poorly controlled shot. Not excusing our guys - they're clearly not good in shootouts - but the ice quality didn't help.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I thought Bertuzzi was going off the ice on his shootout attempt. I'm no goalie expert but wouldn't going on one side of the ice be a dead giveaway that the player will end up going across to score? I also did not understand why it took so long for Babs to put Zetterberg in the shootout. Not that it mattered because Z didn't score anyway. I can't fathom how the Wings don't score a single shootout goal against Budaj. Maybe next time Babs should give Helm, Miller and Eaves a crack at it. Just to piss off the stars.

I thought Bertuzzi was going off the ice on his shootout attempt. I'm no goalie expert but wouldn't going on one side of the ice be a dead giveaway that the player will end up going across to score? I also did not understand why it took so long for Babs to put Zetterberg in the shootout. Not that it mattered because Z didn't score anyway. I can't fathom how the Wings don't score a single shootout goal against Budaj. Maybe next time Babs should give Helm, Miller and Eaves a crack at it. Just to piss off the stars.

Zetterberg, for all the skills he has, is just not very good at the shootout for some reason... I think Babs needs to change it up, as it's just not working...

1. Filppula

2. Hudler

3. Datsyuk

4. Franzen

5. Modano

6. Bertuzzi

7. Cleary

8. Zetterberg

9. Miller

10. Eaves

from there, fill it out in any order you want, as the odds of a SO going past 10 rounds is pretty unlikely...

Wings did suck in the SO last night, except for Howard.

hudler- needs to learn a new move you could see Bud knew that huds was going backhand, everyone in the Joe knew that

Dats- went to one of his moves and pulled it off except for getting the puck over the goalie pads. He had budja beat but couldnt elevate the puck

Zetterberg- actually tired 5 hole, i think he notice along with the commentator on versus that Budja was leaving lots of room 5 hole. But Budja closed that up on Zetterbergs attempt.

Bertuzzi- i thought when he skated out wide he was going to pull off his SO move he did against chi last season (expect on the other side). Ive seen a few players skate out wide and score but it was Bert and it didnt work.

Franzen and Modo- said "F the fancy S*&$T im going to shot!" well oh so close but yet so far.

Howard in the SO gave the Wings the chance to get the extra pt he had to make up for the couple softies he let in during the game and he did a damn good job of it. But damn YIP got luck and beat howard gloveside high he was the only one who was able to elevate the puck. All the other Col shooters even their skilled players didnt do crap. Yip got lucky.

We suck in the shoot-out. It's aggravating. Every time one of our games goes into OT, I'm always dreading us not scoring and having to go into the shoot-out.

Do they practice this enough? Because as someone up-thread said, they do the same things every time and they clearly aren't working.

The ice seemed really crappy last night too. Puck was bouncing all over the place and it seemed like every shootout opportunity, the puck started rolling, resulting in a poorly controlled shot. Not excusing our guys - they're clearly not good in shootouts - but the ice quality didn't help.

I agree with this.

Datsyuk had Budaj beat but the puck rolled on him and he couldn't get it up (that's what she said).

It's a hot and cold type of event, which i why it is so useless when it comes to determining what TEAM wins a game.

Give me sudden death overtime until we find a winner. Now THAT would be entertaining.

4 on 4 for 5 min, then

3 on 3 until there's a winner

shootouts are fun to watch, but points in the standings should be earned by a team. wolski doesn't win playoff games...

I wouldn't have minded to see Kronner take a go at it.

or lids. he can deke and shoot and shootout type things...

I wonder if there's a correlation between being in lots of shootouts, and winning them? To me it seems like the teams who are in the most shootouts are always the best at it.

BTW, I'm developing a mini-crush on that girl in the ad to the right of the page. (The one with the blue exercise ball). :blush:

4 on 4 for 5 min, then

3 on 3 until there's a winner

shootouts are fun to watch, but points in the standings should be earned by a team. wolski doesn't win playoff games...

or lids. he can deke and shoot and shootout type things...

You can't play forever in the regular season, it makes absolutely zero sense with travel schedules, TV contracts and overall player breakdown over an 82 game schedule...

4-4 for 10 minutes followed by a SO

Win in Regulation/OT - 3pts

Win in SO - 2pts

Loss in SO - 1pt

All games worth same pt total...

Done and done...

If people REALLY want to hold onto the ridiculous 2pt system for nostalgia's sake - here's a compromise I could live with, but I still don't think it emphasizes winning as a team enough and it still makes some games worth a different total cumulative point total (which I don't like and think ALL games should be worth the same total point value)

Win in Regulation/OT - 2pts

Win in SO - 1pt

Loss - 0pts