• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

Chris Osgood will start in goal Thursday for the Detroit Red Wings, when they visit Dallas in the Stars' home opener, which will be Mike Modano's homecoming.

“Ozzie played real well in his first start (3-2 win in Chicago Saturday) and we need a win and we expect him to get us one,'' coach Mike Babcock said.

Osgood is 28-11-4 lifetime against the Stars. Dallas and Chicago are the two clubs against whom he has the most career wins.

“I always liked playing there, even back in the old days (Reunion Arena),'' Osgood said. "It’s one of those teams I enjoy playing against, for one reason or another.

“It’s always loud there. It’s fun to go to rinks that are loud. The fans are into it, it’s an exciting game.''

Osgood is glad to get as much work as possible early in the season when the schedule is light.

"I felt good the whole training camp, and then to sit and not play for two weeks, it’s not like practicing,'' Osgood said. "So it’s good to get in some games and get into some type of rhythm and game shape.’’
MLive

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. On one hand I like the fact that Ozzie is getting some playing time, don't want him to go cold, but on the other hand I think it would have done Jimmy well to play and have a potential bounce back game. Osgood's record against Dallas does speak for itself though.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#2 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

I think Babs will alternate for a while and let the two of them sort it out.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#3 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

I thought this, as well. However, I think it is better to let Howard get a few starts in a row. Goalies play better when they get in a groove.

#4 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

I thought this, as well. However, I think it is better to let Howard get a few starts in a row. Goalies play better when they get in a groove.

It's also a travel day game, followed by another travel day game in Phoenix on Saturday... I'll bet regardless of the result, after this game at Dallas, Howard gets 2+ consecutive starts....

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#5 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

we need to make howard our number one. he needs to get confident or he will play like he did last game the whole season
Posted Image

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,912 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

Howard certainly didn't play like a number 1 goalie in the last game. I'm glad Babs is allowing Ozzie to pressure him by giving Ozzie some time between the pipes.

#7 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

we need to make howard our number one. he needs to get confident or he will play like he did last game the whole season

Maybe if Howard played like an NHL goalie last game he'd have gotten the nod? He sucked last night! I hope they both play well and push each other to play better... unlike last year when Osgood stunk and Howard was better.

#8 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Maybe if Howard played like an NHL goalie last game he'd have gotten the nod? He sucked last night! I hope they both play well and push each other to play better... unlike last year when Osgood stunk and Howard was better.

Howard did suck but I dont him to come to waste. If Osgood is our goalie later in the year it will not be good.I picked howard this week for my fantasy goalie :ranting:

Edited by mjtm77, 13 October 2010 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#9 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Howard did suck but I dont him to come to waste. If Osgood is our goalie later in the year it will not be good.I picked howard this week for my fantasy goalie :ranting:

I'm not completely sold on Howard as of yet but what I do like about him is that he seems to let those crappy games stay behind him and not in his head... I'm not sure that is something you can teach?!

#10 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Can't we leave the goalie controversy for mid-season, it's game 4! Last year everyone complained about Ozzie not getting a chance to start. If we end up rotating goalies all that means is they are both playing well and that's a great thing for us.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#11 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

I don't think there's much to read into here for those upset that he's not getting a chance to bounce back or those upset about his subpar performance. Bottom line to me and probably team management is that Howard's a young goalie who had to carry more than was fair last year. This year, I expect them to get back to their typical methods of player development. Part of that will be learning about new kinds of pressure and part of that will be learning from less pressure to carry the whole load.

Howard will learn from the pressure to perform or face sitting, and it's a necessary lesson for him to learn. And I don't care what was said in interviews in the playoffs, you better believe that Babcock isn't going to make the same mistakes again this year with goaltending. Howard's going to learn to play under pressure and Osgood is going to get a lot more starts. If Howard can't handle the pressure of alternating or taking a couple games off in the regular season, there's no way in hell he's going to make it as a starter for this team. I think he'll be just fine.

I like the guy and want to see him succeed, but there are lessons to be learned when playing and lessons to be learned from sitting and watching. Just like Osgood with Vernon in the 90's, the developmental process will not always amount to Howard playing all the time. I think we'll see a lot more balance this year in terms of pressure, and I think it will be a good thing for Howard's development. I wouldn't be shocked at all even to see Osgood start in the playoffs if he's playing at a level at all comparable to Howard. Again, sometimes there's lessons to be learned from watching, and again, I think Howard will be fine however it goes.

It's one game and this is just his second season. Think long term.

Can't we leave the goalie controversy for mid-season, it's game 4! Last year everyone complained about Ozzie not getting a chance to start. If we end up rotating goalies all that means is they are both playing well and that's a great thing for us.

:thumbup:
-Elliot...does not panic.

#12 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

Best idea I've heard this week. I hope to hell you're right.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#13 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:51 PM

NHL goalies aren't allowed to have an off night? You can't be yanking your starter after one game. This has more to do with giving Ozzie time and the travel days than it has to do with what transpired last night.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#14 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

Good move by Babcock. I think the goalie that wins should play until he loses, or when back-to-back games come for the other goalie to start. If Osgood wins in Dallas, then he should get the nod in Phoenix. If he loses, then Howard should get the nod.

#15 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

Sounds nice in theory, but you know the audience you are asking in here? Red Wings fans generally speaking act like complete idiots when it comes to goaltending talk. :lol:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 13 October 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#16 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Yep, it won't be good if Osgood keeps up his strong play.

Posted Image

Won't be good at all.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#17 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Eh. I would have liked Howard to bounce back, but I understand what Babs is doing.

Go Ozzie.

Posted Image

#18 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Ozzie's gotta be kept warm, especially early on in the season, so things don't turn out like last year when every game he started seemed like an automatic loss.
As long as he plays solid, like he did last game, no one should complain.

Come playoff time, if we have a rested Howard and an Osgood that is a viable option, things will look real good for us.

#19 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

NHL goalies aren't allowed to have an off night? You can't be yanking your starter after one game. This has more to do with giving Ozzie time and the travel days than it has to do with what transpired last night.

A) I don't think Howard was "yanked." If it was "yanking" as you put it, they obviously just did it, but I think you're taking that angle to a bit of an extreme.

B) It's a new season. While Howard is 1a without a doubt and certainoy the guy you're expecting to be the starter of the future, don't be shocked to see Osgood played like a 1b so long as he keeps his game up.

C) The last time the Wings developed a starting goalie that actually ended up having a successful career, he took a backseat in his first few seasons at times and learned from a successful veteran. That same goalie is 3 wins away from becoming the 10th goalie in history to hit the 400 win mark. Moral? Sometimes you learn from watching and mature into a starting position gradually.

D) Howard's in his second year. He's coming off a great rookie season but he was quite shaky in the playoffs, rarely reaching the level of play he achieved in the regular season. No big deal, but clearly, he still has some things to learn. He knows it. Osgood knows it. Babcock knows it. They're all getting along pretty well these days. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll be okay however it goes.

Either way, the bottom line is that after a lackluster playoff performance and this being his 2nd season as well as a contract season, Howard's not going to get an overabundance of leeway this year. Babcock will not let Osgood go cold again and Howard is going to have to prove that he's not a one season wonder.

But until he gets sat for weeks to months on end like Osgood last year, it's incredibly premature to get worked up about this and refer to it as Howard being "yanked."
-Elliot...does not panic.

#20 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Sounds familiar. Change the name and welcome to last season.

I'm glad Ozzie is starting and getting into games early. He was really good in Chicago and Jimmy had a rough game against Colorado. I'm glad Babcock understands the value of having Ozzie ready throughout the season.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."