• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Osgood to get the start in Dallas

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!
Chris Osgood will start in goal Thursday for the Detroit Red Wings, when they visit Dallas in the Stars' home opener, which will be Mike Modano's homecoming.

“Ozzie played real well in his first start (3-2 win in Chicago Saturday) and we need a win and we expect him to get us one,'' coach Mike Babcock said.

Osgood is 28-11-4 lifetime against the Stars. Dallas and Chicago are the two clubs against whom he has the most career wins.

“I always liked playing there, even back in the old days (Reunion Arena),'' Osgood said. "It’s one of those teams I enjoy playing against, for one reason or another.

“It’s always loud there. It’s fun to go to rinks that are loud. The fans are into it, it’s an exciting game.''

Osgood is glad to get as much work as possible early in the season when the schedule is light.

"I felt good the whole training camp, and then to sit and not play for two weeks, it’s not like practicing,'' Osgood said. "So it’s good to get in some games and get into some type of rhythm and game shape.’’

MLive

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. On one hand I like the fact that Ozzie is getting some playing time, don't want him to go cold, but on the other hand I think it would have done Jimmy well to play and have a potential bounce back game. Osgood's record against Dallas does speak for itself though.

I thought this, as well. However, I think it is better to let Howard get a few starts in a row. Goalies play better when they get in a groove.

It's also a travel day game, followed by another travel day game in Phoenix on Saturday... I'll bet regardless of the result, after this game at Dallas, Howard gets 2+ consecutive starts....

Guest mjtm77

we need to make howard our number one. he needs to get confident or he will play like he did last game the whole season

we need to make howard our number one. he needs to get confident or he will play like he did last game the whole season

Maybe if Howard played like an NHL goalie last game he'd have gotten the nod? He sucked last night! I hope they both play well and push each other to play better... unlike last year when Osgood stunk and Howard was better.

Guest mjtm77

Maybe if Howard played like an NHL goalie last game he'd have gotten the nod? He sucked last night! I hope they both play well and push each other to play better... unlike last year when Osgood stunk and Howard was better.

Howard did suck but I dont him to come to waste. If Osgood is our goalie later in the year it will not be good.I picked howard this week for my fantasy goalie :ranting:

Edited by mjtm77

Howard did suck but I dont him to come to waste. If Osgood is our goalie later in the year it will not be good.I picked howard this week for my fantasy goalie :ranting:

I'm not completely sold on Howard as of yet but what I do like about him is that he seems to let those crappy games stay behind him and not in his head... I'm not sure that is something you can teach?!

I don't think there's much to read into here for those upset that he's not getting a chance to bounce back or those upset about his subpar performance. Bottom line to me and probably team management is that Howard's a young goalie who had to carry more than was fair last year. This year, I expect them to get back to their typical methods of player development. Part of that will be learning about new kinds of pressure and part of that will be learning from less pressure to carry the whole load.

Howard will learn from the pressure to perform or face sitting, and it's a necessary lesson for him to learn. And I don't care what was said in interviews in the playoffs, you better believe that Babcock isn't going to make the same mistakes again this year with goaltending. Howard's going to learn to play under pressure and Osgood is going to get a lot more starts. If Howard can't handle the pressure of alternating or taking a couple games off in the regular season, there's no way in hell he's going to make it as a starter for this team. I think he'll be just fine.

I like the guy and want to see him succeed, but there are lessons to be learned when playing and lessons to be learned from sitting and watching. Just like Osgood with Vernon in the 90's, the developmental process will not always amount to Howard playing all the time. I think we'll see a lot more balance this year in terms of pressure, and I think it will be a good thing for Howard's development. I wouldn't be shocked at all even to see Osgood start in the playoffs if he's playing at a level at all comparable to Howard. Again, sometimes there's lessons to be learned from watching, and again, I think Howard will be fine however it goes.

It's one game and this is just his second season. Think long term.

Can't we leave the goalie controversy for mid-season, it's game 4! Last year everyone complained about Ozzie not getting a chance to start. If we end up rotating goalies all that means is they are both playing well and that's a great thing for us.

:thumbup:

Guest Howard He Do It?!

NHL goalies aren't allowed to have an off night? You can't be yanking your starter after one game. This has more to do with giving Ozzie time and the travel days than it has to do with what transpired last night.

Guest Heaten

Good move by Babcock. I think the goalie that wins should play until he loses, or when back-to-back games come for the other goalie to start. If Osgood wins in Dallas, then he should get the nod in Phoenix. If he loses, then Howard should get the nod.

Can't we leave the goalie controversy for mid-season, it's game 4! Last year everyone complained about Ozzie not getting a chance to start. If we end up rotating goalies all that means is they are both playing well and that's a great thing for us.

Sounds nice in theory, but you know the audience you are asking in here? Red Wings fans generally speaking act like complete idiots when it comes to goaltending talk. :lol:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Ozzie's gotta be kept warm, especially early on in the season, so things don't turn out like last year when every game he started seemed like an automatic loss.

As long as he plays solid, like he did last game, no one should complain.

Come playoff time, if we have a rested Howard and an Osgood that is a viable option, things will look real good for us.

NHL goalies aren't allowed to have an off night? You can't be yanking your starter after one game. This has more to do with giving Ozzie time and the travel days than it has to do with what transpired last night.

A) I don't think Howard was "yanked." If it was "yanking" as you put it, they obviously just did it, but I think you're taking that angle to a bit of an extreme.

B) It's a new season. While Howard is 1a without a doubt and certainoy the guy you're expecting to be the starter of the future, don't be shocked to see Osgood played like a 1b so long as he keeps his game up.

C) The last time the Wings developed a starting goalie that actually ended up having a successful career, he took a backseat in his first few seasons at times and learned from a successful veteran. That same goalie is 3 wins away from becoming the 10th goalie in history to hit the 400 win mark. Moral? Sometimes you learn from watching and mature into a starting position gradually.

D) Howard's in his second year. He's coming off a great rookie season but he was quite shaky in the playoffs, rarely reaching the level of play he achieved in the regular season. No big deal, but clearly, he still has some things to learn. He knows it. Osgood knows it. Babcock knows it. They're all getting along pretty well these days. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll be okay however it goes.

Either way, the bottom line is that after a lackluster playoff performance and this being his 2nd season as well as a contract season, Howard's not going to get an overabundance of leeway this year. Babcock will not let Osgood go cold again and Howard is going to have to prove that he's not a one season wonder.

But until he gets sat for weeks to months on end like Osgood last year, it's incredibly premature to get worked up about this and refer to it as Howard being "yanked."

Sounds familiar. Change the name and welcome to last season.

I'm glad Ozzie is starting and getting into games early. He was really good in Chicago and Jimmy had a rough game against Colorado. I'm glad Babcock understands the value of having Ozzie ready throughout the season.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

A) I don't think Howard was "yanked." If it was "yanking" as you put it, they obviously just did it, but I think you're taking that angle to a bit of an extreme.

B) It's a new season. While Howard is 1a without a doubt and certainoy the guy you're expecting to be the starter of the future, don't be shocked to see Osgood played like a 1b so long as he keeps his game up.

C) The last time the Wings developed a starting goalie that actually ended up having a successful career, he took a backseat in his first few seasons at times and learned from a successful veteran. That same goalie is 3 wins away from becoming the 10th goalie in history to hit the 400 win mark. Moral? Sometimes you learn from watching and mature into a starting position gradually.

D) Howard's in his second year. He's coming off a great rookie season but he was quite shaky in the playoffs, rarely reaching the level of play he achieved in the regular season. No big deal, but clearly, he still has some things to learn. He knows it. Osgood knows it. Babcock knows it. They're all getting along pretty well these days. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll be okay however it goes.

Either way, the bottom line is that after a lackluster playoff performance and this being his 2nd season as well as a contract season, Howard's not going to get an overabundance of leeway this year. Babcock will not let Osgood go cold again and Howard is going to have to prove that he's not a one season wonder.

But until he gets sat for weeks to months on end like Osgood last year, it's incredibly premature to get worked up about this and refer to it as Howard being "yanked."

I didn't get worked up over anything. I said he wasn't being yanked but instead it had to do with Ozzie getting playing time and the travel days. The other poster made it seem as if he was being yanked because of his performance last night. You don't yank your starter after one off game, which is completely true in this case. Howard isn't starting tomorrow not because of his performance last night but because of the other factors I mentioned.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

I'm glad Osgood is getting a chance to play. I had my doubt about what Babcock would do this season, so for now I hope he continues to rotate, even if Howard does get a couple games in a row. We would be lucky to have both of them have a great season.

Ozzie's gotta be kept warm, especially early on in the season, so things don't turn out like last year when every game he started seemed like an automatic loss.

As long as he plays solid, like he did last game, no one should complain.

Come playoff time, if we have a rested Howard and an Osgood that is a viable option, things will look real good for us.

1000% agree. Ozzie was solid in his last start. I hope this defense plays well in front of him tonight.