#21 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Go Oz.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#22 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

A) I don't think Howard was "yanked." If it was "yanking" as you put it, they obviously just did it, but I think you're taking that angle to a bit of an extreme.

B) It's a new season. While Howard is 1a without a doubt and certainoy the guy you're expecting to be the starter of the future, don't be shocked to see Osgood played like a 1b so long as he keeps his game up.

C) The last time the Wings developed a starting goalie that actually ended up having a successful career, he took a backseat in his first few seasons at times and learned from a successful veteran. That same goalie is 3 wins away from becoming the 10th goalie in history to hit the 400 win mark. Moral? Sometimes you learn from watching and mature into a starting position gradually.

D) Howard's in his second year. He's coming off a great rookie season but he was quite shaky in the playoffs, rarely reaching the level of play he achieved in the regular season. No big deal, but clearly, he still has some things to learn. He knows it. Osgood knows it. Babcock knows it. They're all getting along pretty well these days. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he'll be okay however it goes.

Either way, the bottom line is that after a lackluster playoff performance and this being his 2nd season as well as a contract season, Howard's not going to get an overabundance of leeway this year. Babcock will not let Osgood go cold again and Howard is going to have to prove that he's not a one season wonder.

But until he gets sat for weeks to months on end like Osgood last year, it's incredibly premature to get worked up about this and refer to it as Howard being "yanked."

I didn't get worked up over anything. I said he wasn't being yanked but instead it had to do with Ozzie getting playing time and the travel days. The other poster made it seem as if he was being yanked because of his performance last night. You don't yank your starter after one off game, which is completely true in this case. Howard isn't starting tomorrow not because of his performance last night but because of the other factors I mentioned.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 13 October 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#23 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

So who wants to bet Modano gets Boo'ed? Which would be pretty pathetic.

#24 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I'm glad Osgood is getting a chance to play. I had my doubt about what Babcock would do this season, so for now I hope he continues to rotate, even if Howard does get a couple games in a row. We would be lucky to have both of them have a great season.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#25 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

Ozzie's gotta be kept warm, especially early on in the season, so things don't turn out like last year when every game he started seemed like an automatic loss.
As long as he plays solid, like he did last game, no one should complain.

Come playoff time, if we have a rested Howard and an Osgood that is a viable option, things will look real good for us.

1000% agree. Ozzie was solid in his last start. I hope this defense plays well in front of him tonight.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#26 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

1000% agree. Ozzie was solid in his last start. I hope this defense plays well in front of him tonight.

That's a big factor imho.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#27 adamic

adamic

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Howard certainly didn't play like a number 1 goalie in the last game. I'm glad Babs is allowing Ozzie to pressure him by giving Ozzie some time between the pipes.

I agree. I think they are going to have to battle it out. Howard let a real soft goal in last game right over the shoulder. He was also out of position for the better part of the third period.

#28 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, still reading the last GDT and trying to determine if infact Howard let in soft goals or not?

But seriously, I think it's good to start with a rotation, atleast give Oz a chance to win his spot back. He played well against Chicago.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#29 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

Maybe if Howard played like an NHL goalie last game he'd have gotten the nod? He sucked last night! I hope they both play well and push each other to play better... unlike last year when Osgood stunk and Howard was better.

This

Let Ozzie put some pressure on the kid. We'll be fine, I think our offense will have to bail us out a bit in the near future though.
RIP #24

#30 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

we need to make howard our number one. he needs to get confident or he will play like he did last game the whole season

Howard was battling for the #1 position last year. Also how much more confident do you get when you have a shutout in your first official game back? I wouldn't worry too much, we're establishing our #1, clean slate. 5-6 games each and we'll know who's for real.

#31 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

This is a great thing. Keep the goalies rotating until one clearly pulls ahead of the other. I want the games to be split like 60/40 or 70/30 by the end of the year between our playoff goalie and the backup. More reps for both players is never a bad thing.

#32 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

jimmy let in 2 soft goals and 1 questionable goal last game, so have at 'err Ozzman.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#33 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Sounds nice in theory, but you know the audience you are asking in here? Red Wings fans generally speaking act like complete idiots when it comes to goaltending talk.

This. I mean if we actually make it to game ten of a season without an extended discussion of how the reainmated corpse of Terry Sawchuck would be better in goal, even if he was missing his blocker because his decayed arm fell off mid-period, then we're bored with the team and not really trying.

#34 lookalive07

lookalive07

--19--

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Um...forgive me for pointing out the best possible scenario (considering how it usually is accepted around here), but wouldn't we want Osgood playing just as well as Howard this season, with them both splitting starts (maybe Howard 3 to Osgood's 2), and we can have some goaltending confidence not only throughout the regular season, but in the playoffs as well? I mean, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if we had to pull Howard last season, Osgood wasn't exactly playing good enough himself to really turn a game around. This way, if Osgood bounces back this season, and Howard is as stellar as he was last season only starting less games, then perhaps we could have a pretty dominant goaltending duo in the playoffs, without Jimmy being overworked.

Posted Image

#35 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Um...forgive me for pointing out the best possible scenario (considering how it usually is accepted around here), but wouldn't we want Osgood playing just as well as Howard this season, with them both splitting starts (maybe Howard 3 to Osgood's 2), and we can have some goaltending confidence not only throughout the regular season, but in the playoffs as well? I mean, forgive me if I'm wrong, but if we had to pull Howard last season, Osgood wasn't exactly playing good enough himself to really turn a game around. This way, if Osgood bounces back this season, and Howard is as stellar as he was last season only starting less games, then perhaps we could have a pretty dominant goaltending duo in the playoffs, without Jimmy being overworked.

Um...yeah! :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#36 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Well that was a bad idea

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#37 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

Where's Marc Lamothe when you need him?
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#38 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Well that was a bad idea

What, the team collectively deciding they didn't want to play tonight? Absolutely, that was a bad idea. Letting Howard get shellacked behind this lackluster effort would likely have been a worse idea.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#39 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Well that was a bad idea

Yeah, Howard probably would have done much better with the ZERO GOALS WE HAVE SCORED TONIGHT.

Posted Image

#40 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

Osgood should be waived. He's sucked for the last 2 seasons.