• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Z Winged Dangler

Leafs are in 1st place overall!

Rate this topic

I hear the city of Toronto is planning a parade for the good start they have had. I've also been told that its pretty much a done deal that they will also win the Cup this year... I guess we have next season to look forward too.

Is this joke ever going to get old? Even when most of Toronto is staying calm and expecting the team to come back to the pack soon, people (haters) have to crack the parade jokes.

Is this joke ever going to get old? Even when most of Toronto is staying calm and expecting the team to come back to the pack soon, people (haters) have to crack the parade jokes.

Nothing personal Mack because I've seen it used a lot on the internet, but "Haters" is such a stupid word! It's so wussy. It's like you can't say anything negative, have a different opinion, or give someone a hard time for fun without being called a "hater".

Edit: I guess I'm a hater for not liking the word hater :lol:

Edited by Barrie

Nothing personal Mack because I've seen it used a lot on the internet, but "Haters" is such a stupid word! It's so wussy. It's like you can't say anything negative, have a different opinion, or give someone a hard time for fun without being called a "hater".

It's so stupid, though! It's like the defence mechanism that kicks in as soon as the Leafs start winning.

I wore a Leafs hat to work (newsroom, so admittedly smart-assed people by nature) after they won the first couple games, and I must have had five or six parade comments.

It's like as soon as people can't bash them for playing poorly, the parade comments have to come out to sort of justify hating the team or city.

(And I'll admit, "hater" was a poor choice of word.)

Edited by MacK_Attack

Man, I spent most of my life in Windsor which has a very large base of the most obnoxious Leafs fans and have had to deal with a life time of stupid comments from them year in and year out.... despite the fact that Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years and the leafs have been crap since as long as my memory goes. Wanna talk about something that is getting old is hearing these stupid comments. The Wings-Leafs rivalry is alive and well in Windsor and I am a Leafs hater because of it... Piss on the Leafs and the Habs are next in line for most of the same reason!!

Man, I spent most of my life in Windsor which has a very large base of the most obnoxious Leafs fans and have had to deal with a life time of stupid comments from them year in and year out.... despite the fact that Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years and the leafs have been crap since as long as my memory goes. Wanna talk about something that is getting old is hearing these stupid comments. The Wings-Leafs rivalry is alive and well in Windsor and I am a Leafs hater because of it... Piss on the Leafs and the Habs are next in line for most of the same reason!!

I agree with this mostly, I moved from Detroit to just outside of Toronto, and the Leaf fans over here are ridiculous, they are already going nuts about their 4 game winning streak. Its on every front page sport section, its on every hockey central episode even if they didn't play a game that night. If the Leafs were 30-11 half way through the season I could see why fans would be talking about some realistic conversation about Leafs making the playoffs. Their is a ton of Leaf fans out here that just flat out hate Detroit.. is it because of our success, I don't know but you can't even have a sticker or flag on your car and go to the mall without some idiot critizing who I cheer for and they don't even know a thing about me, and that I lived in Detroit for 15 years. I dunno, just my experience from Leaf fans, some are knowledgeable but majority of ignorant fans.

Its on every front page sport section, its on every hockey central episode even if they didn't play a game that night.

There's a very, very simple explanation for that. It sells.

If the Leafs are not mentioned in the first two minutes of a hockey TV or radio show, ratings drop. They either have to talk about the Leafs off the top or tease a Leafs story to come. They have to talk about the Leafs because advertisers demand it.

If they are on the front page of a paper, sales are better. Advertisers usually want at least some mention of the Leafs on the front page.

Same can be said for magazines. If you look at a newsstand (in most of Ontario) at the start of the season, most of the season preview magazines will have a picture of a Leaf on the cover. Simple reason, it will sell more copies.

Same reason why the Leafs still remain the team on national Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts. They mean higher ratings and better ad revenue. Any Canadian team other than the Canadiens are a ratings killer. The Habs as the national broadcast cause a smaller ratings drop compared to the Leafs, but still significant enough for advertisers to require the Leafs as the national broadcast nearly every Saturday.

If the Leafs are not mentioned in the first two minutes of a hockey TV or radio show, ratings drop. They either have to talk about the Leafs off the top or tease a Leafs story to come. They have to talk about the Leafs because advertisers demand it.

If they are on the front page of a paper, sales are better. Advertisers usually want at least some mention of the Leafs on the front page.

Same can be said for magazines. If you look at a newsstand (in most of Ontario) at the start of the season, most of the season preview magazines will have a picture of a Leaf on the cover. Simple reason, it will sell more copies.

Same reason why the Leafs still remain the team on national Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts. They mean higher ratings and better ad revenue. Any Canadian team other than the Canadiens are a ratings killer. The Habs as the national broadcast cause a smaller ratings drop compared to the Leafs, but still significant enough for advertisers to require the Leafs as the national broadcast nearly every Saturday.

I am jealous of that. I wish the Detroit media would give the Wings a little press. It's football time. No love for the Wings.

Ok but why when Ozzie guilen or Alex Rios says Toronto only cares about Hockey and thats all they advertised do Toronto fans get all upset at them if its the truth ? I can fully understand what hes talking about, Jays can barely put 20k into a stadium that sits 55k, and the Raptors can't sell out every game either, even when Vince was their they were still having problems selling Tickets, unless it was the playoffs of course. I don't know, I just don't understand majority of the fans and their ignorance.

I am jealous of that. I wish the Detroit media would give the Wings a little press. It's football time. No love for the Wings.

Thats the problem though, they don't advertise their other sports barely. Jose Bautista hit 54HR's this year and got a page article on him, and whats on the next couple pages ? Stuff about the Leafs 20 days before the pre-season has even started. Thus why I said in my above post that Alex Rios and Ozzie Guillen are correct.

Edited by darkmanx

Ok but why when Ozzie guilen or Alex Rios says Toronto only cares about Hockey and thats all they advertised do Toronto fans get all upset at them if its the truth ? I can fully understand what hes talking about, Jays can barely put 20k into a stadium that sits 55k, and the Raptors can't sell out every game either, even when Vince was their they were still having problems selling Tickets, unless it was the playoffs of course. I don't know, I just don't understand majority of the fans and their ignorance.

Thats the problem though, they don't advertise their other sports barely. Jose Bautista hit 54HR's this year and got a page article on him, and whats on the next couple pages ? Stuff about the Leafs 20 days before the pre-season has even started. Thus why I said in my above post that Alex Rios and Ozzie Guillen are correct.

I think the issue most people took with the Rios/Guillen comments was that they suggested (or at least implied) that the team should move. I don't think anybody denies that hockey takes priority over every other sport.

Besides, it's not up to the media to advertise pro sports teams. They (we) cover based on priority in the market. Based on what the people and the advertisers want to hear and read about.

Edited by MacK_Attack

I took advantage of the Leafs 4-5 wins in a row and made a bet with two Leafs fans...

If the Leafs make the playoffs, I owe them a pitcher of beer and two pounds of wings each.

If the Leafs miss the playoffs, they owe me a pitcher of beer and two pounds of wings each.

:beerbuddy:

Guest mindfly

Kessel deal looks more and more stupid, Bruins ends up with Seguin who will probably be a very good center in a few years and could land Larsson/Couturier/Nugent-Hopkins/Landeskog... lol leafs sucks