• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Edited by hokeychik22, 16 October 2010 - 09:52 AM.

#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Anyone else see Avery's slash on Komisarek's ankle behind a scrum?

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

I could be wrong but I believe this is excerpt is from Nostradamus's 8th quatrain...

THE BLUE MEN WILL RISE FROM THE ASHES
AND BE TRIUMPHANT OVER THE RED AND BLACK BIRDS
THE FRENCH ARMY SHALL BE JEALOUS
AND SWEAR REVENGE BY EXACTING A HEAVY PRICE ON ITS ENEMIES IN NEW YORK

THE BLUE MEN WILL ASSUME ABSOLUTE POWER
OVER THE REST OF THE WORLD
AND THE DEVIL WILL AWAIT WITH HIS 9 MEN
TRYING TO PUT HIS RULER BACK TOGETHER AGAIN

THE RED BIRDS WILL STORM SOME MORE
IN SPRING TIME THE MULE WILL SCORE
THE BLUE BIRDS WILL VANQUISH TO HELL
THE WORLD FOR A TIME WILL BE WELL

I mean it could be nothing but this is what I recall. Was Nostradamus a hockey fan?
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#44 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

SDavis35 sent me a link to this on facebook. Someone made a facebook event for a Maple Leafs Stanley Cup Parade on June 14. I got in a good comment on the wall :lol:

http://www.facebook....id=103447322058
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#45 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:52 PM

Lebda is in the Lineup Tonight vs The Isles :ph34r: :ph34r:

#46 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

From Toronto Star:

Its the bad ice, said Versteeg.

Twice?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#47 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

good for the Leafs. if they stay healthy i think they'll contend for a playoff spot. As annoying as their fans can be, its always good to see cities that are crazy about hockey have a playoff contending team. The Toronto fans deserve it. With all that said, Brett Lebda r00ls and is the reason they're defense are a bunch of stalwarts.

#48 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

If the Wings can't win it all, I'd like to see the Leafs do it. They haven't had a Cup since I was a kid.

If they're still in first in a month, I'll sit up and take notice. For now, I'll just consider it a cosmic practical joke.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Let's not get too excited for Leafs fans, every year a few teams go undefeated or have really hot starts and often completely miss playoffs. I don't expect Toronto to have THAT great of a turnaround year.

However, I do really like how the Leaf fans stuck with their team through so many years of terrible teams. They're really excellent hockey fans.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 ChicagoMan

ChicagoMan

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

Chicago 9 PTS sorry Toronto

#51 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Chicago 9 PTS sorry Toronto

Toronto has two games in hand...
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#52 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

I hear the city of Toronto is planning a parade for the good start they have had. I've also been told that its pretty much a done deal that they will also win the Cup this year... I guess we have next season to look forward too.

#53 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

I hear the city of Toronto is planning a parade for the good start they have had. I've also been told that its pretty much a done deal that they will also win the Cup this year... I guess we have next season to look forward too.

Is this joke ever going to get old? Even when most of Toronto is staying calm and expecting the team to come back to the pack soon, people (haters) have to crack the parade jokes.

#54 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Is this joke ever going to get old? Even when most of Toronto is staying calm and expecting the team to come back to the pack soon, people (haters) have to crack the parade jokes.

Nothing personal Mack because I've seen it used a lot on the internet, but "Haters" is such a stupid word! It's so wussy. It's like you can't say anything negative, have a different opinion, or give someone a hard time for fun without being called a "hater".

Edit: I guess I'm a hater for not liking the word hater :lol:

Edited by Barrie, 19 October 2010 - 04:31 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#55 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Nothing personal Mack because I've seen it used a lot on the internet, but "Haters" is such a stupid word! It's so wussy. It's like you can't say anything negative, have a different opinion, or give someone a hard time for fun without being called a "hater".

It's so stupid, though! It's like the defence mechanism that kicks in as soon as the Leafs start winning.

I wore a Leafs hat to work (newsroom, so admittedly smart-assed people by nature) after they won the first couple games, and I must have had five or six parade comments.

It's like as soon as people can't bash them for playing poorly, the parade comments have to come out to sort of justify hating the team or city.

(And I'll admit, "hater" was a poor choice of word.)

Edited by MacK_Attack, 19 October 2010 - 04:43 PM.

#56 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Man, I spent most of my life in Windsor which has a very large base of the most obnoxious Leafs fans and have had to deal with a life time of stupid comments from them year in and year out.... despite the fact that Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years and the leafs have been crap since as long as my memory goes. Wanna talk about something that is getting old is hearing these stupid comments. The Wings-Leafs rivalry is alive and well in Windsor and I am a Leafs hater because of it... Piss on the Leafs and the Habs are next in line for most of the same reason!!

#57 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

Man, I spent most of my life in Windsor which has a very large base of the most obnoxious Leafs fans and have had to deal with a life time of stupid comments from them year in and year out.... despite the fact that Detroit is one of the most successful teams of the last 20 years and the leafs have been crap since as long as my memory goes. Wanna talk about something that is getting old is hearing these stupid comments. The Wings-Leafs rivalry is alive and well in Windsor and I am a Leafs hater because of it... Piss on the Leafs and the Habs are next in line for most of the same reason!!

I agree with this mostly, I moved from Detroit to just outside of Toronto, and the Leaf fans over here are ridiculous, they are already going nuts about their 4 game winning streak. Its on every front page sport section, its on every hockey central episode even if they didn't play a game that night. If the Leafs were 30-11 half way through the season I could see why fans would be talking about some realistic conversation about Leafs making the playoffs. Their is a ton of Leaf fans out here that just flat out hate Detroit.. is it because of our success, I don't know but you can't even have a sticker or flag on your car and go to the mall without some idiot critizing who I cheer for and they don't even know a thing about me, and that I lived in Detroit for 15 years. I dunno, just my experience from Leaf fans, some are knowledgeable but majority of ignorant fans.

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

I'm not in favor of them winning another Cup, but it would be nice to see them return to respectability. Nothing wrong with that for a storied Original 6 Franchise.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:57 AM

Its on every front page sport section, its on every hockey central episode even if they didn't play a game that night.

There's a very, very simple explanation for that. It sells.

If the Leafs are not mentioned in the first two minutes of a hockey TV or radio show, ratings drop. They either have to talk about the Leafs off the top or tease a Leafs story to come. They have to talk about the Leafs because advertisers demand it.

If they are on the front page of a paper, sales are better. Advertisers usually want at least some mention of the Leafs on the front page.

Same can be said for magazines. If you look at a newsstand (in most of Ontario) at the start of the season, most of the season preview magazines will have a picture of a Leaf on the cover. Simple reason, it will sell more copies.

Same reason why the Leafs still remain the team on national Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts. They mean higher ratings and better ad revenue. Any Canadian team other than the Canadiens are a ratings killer. The Habs as the national broadcast cause a smaller ratings drop compared to the Leafs, but still significant enough for advertisers to require the Leafs as the national broadcast nearly every Saturday.

#60 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:17 AM

if the Wings beat the Flames thurs and the Leafs lose at home to the NYR, then we'll be level with them and we aint got it going yet. food for thought really.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.