• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Zetterberg Slowing Down?

Rate this topic

Zetterberg Slowing Down?  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with most of the posters, Zetterberg has declined specially in the years of his prime. Is this something to worry about this year, I don't think so, it might be something to worry about in the long term. I'm not worried tho, playing with Datsyuk will boost his game up.

Lol. Slowing down based on what? His outstanding 2007-08 season? Here are the facts. Last season he was nearly a point per game player. And his back spasms haven't been sited as a problem for a few years now.

I think he plays his game differently and isn't going to the net as much. He used to get a lot of his goals hanging out beside the crease or between the circles. Now he seems to spend a lot more time puck handling around the perimeter, along the boards, behind the net, looking for someone to set up. He is more of a playmaker than a sniper, and really always was. I have no doubt that if he and Dats stay on the same line, Z will have another great season, and all the naysayers will be on his nuts again in the spring.

I think we all want to see the Zetterberg not only of 2007-2008 but also 2006-2007. Should we just forget about that guy and try our best to enjoy the way he plays now (not going to the net as much, as you suggested)? It's a tough adjustment for Wings fans because that version of Zetterberg was really, really good.

In 4 games through the championship season Z had 3g-8a-11pts while Pav had 3 assists. The year before in the first four games, both Pav and Z had 1g-2a-3pts.

Z's magical 2007-2008 start to the season in which he set a record of 16 games in which he registered a point was very, very special; special as in it doesn't happen that often.

If we're going to make a judgment based on stats (and yes, I'm aware that some of you aren't), then we really haven't seen a significant difference if you treat Z's start to the championship season as an anomaly.

one thing is for sure, at this point, that long term contract of Zetterberg at 6+ million a year versus Franzens contract, aint looking like such a bargain

Yes it is. Last time I checked (a game or so ago) he was tied with Datsyuk in points. He's just not scoring as often as usual. He's still the world class all around player. Count in having a history of slow starts, I don't see the issue here. Realistically we've got 3 or 4 more more years before he really starts to decline, if we compare to similar players.

He hasn't been worthy of the top line this year as of yet, and that is in terms of quality of play and not just statistically.

Val, Pav, and Johan have all played better than Zetter as of right now.

This just doesn't mean anything but the line is off a bit.

My major complaints is that he has mostly held onto the puck a bit too long instead of shooting. He is the sniper of the line and instead has tried to play like a dangler. It feels like he has more attempts off of his backhand then his forehand. He just has no chemistry with Homer yet, and has been slow to cycle. All of these things can work themselves out, and none suggest to me that he is physically weaker. The only thing that does suggest that he is slowing down is the fact his backchecking seems to have dropped off. I hesitate because it might only appear so because Pav and Val have been tearing up the defensive effort on the backcheck.

He still remains one of the strongest players on the puck in the league. He rarely makes turnovers and plays solid defensively. He and Pavel still have great chemistry and can make beautiful plays. They will tighten up and if you don't believe me rewatch his first goal of the season. That was a great play by each member of the top line. It suggests to me that if Z just shoots the puck a bit faster things will work out fine. I cannot assume he is slowing down at his age based on what I have seen.

Guest Heaten

I don't expect Z to play in playoff mode every game.

Hat trick per game or he's a bust. WE demand more out of our players, dammit! :ph34r:

Seriously, he's a PPG. Plus the fact that the top line didn't start out with any chemistry and Homer looks like the weak link on that line, Zetterberg is doing fine. I've yet to see a season where Zetterberg comes out of the gates putting up 1 or 2 goals per game. He's always been a slow starter, always.

Edited by Heaten

Guest mjtm77

He is slowing down a bit but it is the start of the season so cant judge anything. Make this thread at the end or half way through the season if he starts to really decline. God after 4 games wings fans were going crazy over nothing it was funny seeing all the bashing players threads after 4 games.