126 replies to this topic

#121 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

The next Yzerman. :ph34r:

If translated that means three Cup titles as captain of the Wings, I'd be all for it.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#122 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

With Z hanging out in the top ten in scoring and being a Selke contender, it's not unreasonable to consider him a contender to actually be named for First or Second team in the postseason; the catch being that he has been playing both LW and C all year.

The interesting thing, though, is that it is possible for Zetterberg to get voted in on the all-star teams at both positions. The key to that trick would be receiving a significant portion of first place votes, and the remaining votes split up fairly evenly among other contenders, with at least three competing well for the second place votes. Add in Sharp, Kopitar, Crosby, Loui Eriksson, Rick Nash, and you have a group of guys which under the right circumstances over these last ten-twelve games could put Z in that unique spot.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#123 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

"You're never going to outwork Hank, that's for sure."

http://redwings.nhl....s.htm?id=468186

:ph34r:

#124 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

Not quite sure what people are trying to get at here. Yes, he has slowed down a tad. Players do that once they get older and have a nagging back issue that is clear on the ice. Fact is, he DOES outwork most players on the ice, plays against the top line all the time, and yes, takes the most shots on the team or close to being most in the league but has become more of a setup guy with the linemates he has been paired with. Plus, honestly Wings fans you can't say you want to knock the guy for shooting the puck when that is the knock on a lot of players on this team. He is the next captain of the Red Wings and in the last 25+ years that says a lot for what the educated brass of the Wings think of him.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#125 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

The only thing that worries me about Z is that sometimes he doesn't look like a guy who would be in year two of a twelve year contract.

works every time

#126 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

I'm obviously partial to Zetterberg, but when I see that a guy who's "slowed down" is still top 10 in league scoring and one of the best two-way forwards in the game, I'm OK with it. Am I concerned with his lack of goal scoring/shooting? Absolutely. He's been hanging onto the puck too much and playing on the outside perimeter. I also feel that once the post-season hits he's going to go all out.

#127 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,338 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

Scoring slump grips Zetterberg, other Red Wings

It sure seems like it's been a while since Henrik Zetterberg has scored.

The last time? Feb. 22 against San Jose.

Before that? Feb. 11 in Boston. And on Jan. 10 in Colorado.

And here are even more numbers for Zetterberg: No goals the last nine games, and 2 in his last 26.

"Absolutely you want to score goals," Zetterberg said Monday. "Even if you're having assists, it would be nice to get a goal or two soon."

While Zetterberg has 17 assists during the 26-game span, he's been a little cold the last six when it comes to that category, too. Try none. And that is one of the many reasons the Red Wings are struggling in March, with a 2-4 record that included a 0-4 start.

"If you don't score, you don't win games," he said. "That's been one of our problems."

Zetterberg was arguably the best Red Wings player while Pavel Datsyuk was out with a broken right hand through January. During a span of 18 games, Zetterberg had 23 points (six goals, 17 assists).

But lately, he just hasn't been able to finish.

If he wasn't getting any scoring opportunities, that would be one thing. But he is satisfied with that aspect.

"I get enough shots," said Zetterberg, who is sixth in the NHL with 268 shots. "It's more when I get a chance, I got to take care of it.

"You're maybe squeezing the stick a little bit too much. You think about it. You want to score instead of going with the flow."

But, Zetterberg isn't the only Red Wings forward struggling.

Since his five-goal outburst against the Senators on Feb. 2, Johan Franzen has scored one goal in 18 games. Todd Bertuzzi hasn't scored (one point) in 11 games. Valtteri Filppula has scored one goal and has three assists in 12 games.

"The goals-against was a big issue and we've been better at that," Zetterberg said. "Now it's the goals-for, instead.

"If we get that going, it'll be easier to win games."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...s#ixzz1Gg6ny7Cg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman