• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Wings need a goalie

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly

Ahh Hasek 2002 and 2007, both great years from one of the greatest of all-time.

LMAO

Well played sir, well played.

Hasek just had an awful goalie technique, he never went butterfly, he was the best in the late 90's and very good in 2002, but not in 2007 credit the team instead

Edited by mindfly

Your buddy Hasek was notorious for having slow starts to the season. He always used to end up fine by the end. I'll worry about this down the stretch. I think both of our goalies are more than capable individually to get the job done. Osgood's proven it throughout his career and while Howard's still got some things to learn and prove, he's got a lot of skill and potential to become a solid NHL starter for a long time.

Our goalies fall victim to defensive sabotage far too often. That is what worries me year after year since our last Cup. They're too talented to play as sloppy as they do far too often. We have a balanced team. We don't have the biggest name goalies that you can hope will carry you when everyone else lets you down. That model works fine and we've proven that again and again. But the defense has to hold up their end of the bargain which they too often haven't. The all time elites wouldn't be fairng much better in many of the games the last few years with our defense playing as poorly as they have.

Again, I think both goalies are capable of getting the job done. McCrimmon? He's given no reason for us to believe he has control of the defense at any point since he's taken over. That's what really worries me.

Thanks for voicing my concerns as well. :thumbup:

Edited by Vladifan

Osgood was excellent in 2008, too, and he was very cheap. Why pay 6m for Luongo when a $1.5m goalie can do just as well?

Osgood was awesome in both 2008 and the playoffs 2009, I wasn't leaving him out it's just mindfly said we've never had an elite goalie in the modern era, while Osgood being elite is considered a stretch by most Hasek most certainly was considered an elite goalie at the time we originally acquired him and played like it that year.

Guest scottj

Not one of the goals he let in tonight can be blamed on anyone but him.

even on the breakaway on the blown coverage by kindl, he flopped like a fish before the guy made a move. jesus. at least be in a position to make a stop.

ive tried to stick by his side but come on.

obviously he can't be blamed near completely for the 1st but yeah, it looked like he already made up his move on that breakaway right when it first came about. He needs to have better composure than that

Guest Shoreline

We should see if we can get Alex Auld, or bring back Conklin for next season. Both are excellent back up goalies, and, unless Ozzie miraculously becomes good again, we're going to need a new back up tender.

Until the Wings lose a game with them in net, then the box score fans will be out in force to declare one needs a certain save % per game in order to be a goalie in the NHL.

Oz could have played the breakaway a little better.. that was the only fault I saw. Nothing one could do about picking the corners as he was in position and can't take up 100% of the net, even at such an angle. I've never known Ozzie to be a good shootout tender, so wasn't surprising he didn't save that first breakaway, but he did save another breakaway afterwards. The main thing to ask is why the hell the defense keeps letting forwards behind them so far up ice. Ozzie is a convenient target for knee jerk reactions so I have little respect for the opinion of anyone who makes such early declarations that he needs to go. At best, they aren't very smart, at worst, they're crappy trolls.

Edited by Shoreline

Oz could have played the breakaway a little better.. that was the only fault I saw.

HUH? did you see how far off the post he was on the powerplay tally. let the D worry about the guy in front. goalie takes the shot and he left a sizable hole.

and the third one was shorthanded slapshot from the blue line that went inside the near post about pad high.

the breakaway is the only one i don't blame on him completely not visa versa.

HUH? did you see how far off the post he was on the powerplay tally. let the D worry about the guy in front. goalie takes the shot and he left a sizable hole.

and the third one was shorthanded slapshot from the blue line that went inside the near post about pad high.

the breakaway is the only one i don't blame on him completely not visa versa.

He played the second goal against fine.

Third goal was soft, but that was it. Had a good second with two more breakaways to deal with.

Until the Wings lose a game with them in net, then the box score fans will be out in force to declare one needs a certain save % per game in order to be a goalie in the NHL.

Oz could have played the breakaway a little better.. that was the only fault I saw. Nothing one could do about picking the corners as he was in position and can't take up 100% of the net, even at such an angle. I've never known Ozzie to be a good shootout tender, so wasn't surprising he didn't save that first breakaway, but he did save another breakaway afterwards. The main thing to ask is why the hell the defense keeps letting forwards behind them so far up ice. Ozzie is a convenient target for knee jerk reactions so I have little respect for the opinion of anyone who makes such early declarations that he needs to go. At best, they aren't very smart, at worst, they're crappy trolls.

you do realize someone can watch the games and still think osgood hasn't been playing well? quit stereotyping people. i have saw that little comment several times and its lame.

i actually love how there are all these posters that spend all day complaining about how bad other fans are for saying negative things. if you dont like whats being posted in a thread, stop reading it. despite what many of you think, its ok to think that players aren't doing well. if i think the 3rd line stinks right now, or that osgood is really falling apart, or kindl might not be so great, well thats my opinion. it doesn't mean i am a box score fan, it doesn't mean i am a bad fan; it just means i have an objective opinion about part of the wings roster.

I notice you left out making an excuse for him on the 3rd goal which was weak for a junior goalie let alone a pro and turned out to the game decider.

And I bolded the part where you make even less sense. Save % is the best indication of how a goalie is playing. GAA can be kept down by team defense but save percentage shows just how good you are at keeping the puck out when its put on net which is his job. Osgood has had a % under .900 last season and so far this season. If you cant hold down a better than .900 save percentage your not an NHL caliber goalie. Sorry but its the fact. Guarantee you everyone in the NHL believes the same.

And I bolded the part where you make even less sense. Save % is the best indication of how a goalie is playing. GAA can be kept down by team defense but save percentage shows just how good you are at keeping the puck out when its put on net which is his job. Osgood has had a % under .900 last season and so far this season. If you cant hold down a better than .900 save percentage your not an NHL caliber goalie. Sorry but its the fact. Guarantee you everyone in the NHL believes the same.

Well, shoot, if that's the official criteria now, someone better warn Marty Brodeur. He's at a .901 SV% right now. Guess he better retire.

Well, shoot, if that's the official criteria now, someone better warn Marty Brodeur. He's at a .901 SV% right now. Guess he better retire.

Except Marty has never had a season under .900. Osgood has been under it for over a year.

Worth pointing out Ozzie had a SV% of .914 tonight, which is acceptable for a backup. Gotta hold the defense accountable at some point.

Nobody is saying they shouldnt get some of the blame. But when you get beat from inside the blueline with a wrist shot and beat from an unscreened shot from the bottom of the circle thats just as much his fault.

Except Marty has never had a season under .900. Osgood has been under it for over a year.

Nobody is saying they shouldnt get some of the blame. But when you get beat from inside the blueline with a wrist shot and beat from an unscreened shot from the bottom of the circle thats just as much his fault.

Look at how many games Osgood has played in the last year, of course his numbers aren't going to be that great.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Look at how many games Osgood has played in the last year, of course his numbers aren't going to be that great.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

What is the duration of a chance? 2 seasons?

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Howard can't play in 99% of the games but Ozzie can't get a bunch of consecutive starts to get going. Ozzie is the backup goalie and we can't be making a special commitment to improve his play at the expense of Howard. A backup goalie has to come in cold sometimes. That's the nature of the position. Things are going downhill when you have to cater to your backup goalie.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!

Ozzie's also never had a playoff even approaching Marty's worst (in the prime of his career!) in a measure of brutality.

Sorta silly to compare either way.

Because picking the top corner (short side or not) is such an easy shot to stop.