• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Wings need a goalie

Rate this topic

Guest Stolberg

Because picking the top corner (short side or not) is such an easy shot to stop.

every side of osgood is the short side :hehe:

Guest Crymson

Need a new goalie, yes! As it is now, Im almost certain we loose when Ozzie is standing between the pipes. He is not the goalie he used to be.. :thumbdown:

Some say we need to cut him some slack.. "only four games" ..SO? Save% .885.. Not good enough!

Pointing at the stats is a bit silly. Try watching the games. Had you watched the game the Wings played against Dallas, you'd see that Osgood gave up four goals on 16 shots through a series of horrible bounces and terrible defense.

every side of osgood is the short side :hehe:

Oh no he didn't.

Has anyone really thought that Osgood might be too small at this point? His technique doesn't seem to have changed, but it appears that the gaps that people are able to shoot in have gotten bigger on him.

Maybe its just me but Osgood can't get away with being out of position at any time like Howard could because he doesn't take up as much net and isn't as agile as he used to be. Which really seems like it magnifies his mistakes ten fold.

Pointing at the stats is a bit silly. Try watching the games. Had you watched the game the Wings played against Dallas, you'd see that Osgood gave up four goals on 16 shots through a series of horrible bounces and terrible defense.

yeah tonight was his only genuinely terrible game

and it was only the first period(although obviously that was enough to lose us the game)

Until the Wings lose a game with them in net, then the box score fans will be out in force to declare one needs a certain save % per game in order to be a goalie in the NHL.

Oz could have played the breakaway a little better.. that was the only fault I saw. Nothing one could do about picking the corners as he was in position and can't take up 100% of the net, even at such an angle. I've never known Ozzie to be a good shootout tender, so wasn't surprising he didn't save that first breakaway, but he did save another breakaway afterwards. The main thing to ask is why the hell the defense keeps letting forwards behind them so far up ice. Ozzie is a convenient target for knee jerk reactions so I have little respect for the opinion of anyone who makes such early declarations that he needs to go. At best, they aren't very smart, at worst, they're crappy trolls.

I watched the whole game, so I'm not quite a 'box score fan'. The truth is, he was godawful in that first period, but he definitely improved throughout the game. The problem I've noticed with Ozzie is that he tends to be very, very bad in the first, which usually has us playing catch up for the rest of the game. I'd like to see Ozzie get better, because I AM a fan of his. I've almost always defended him, but the third goal especially was just horrible.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

I'd like to see Ozzie play a bit more. He's not the goalie he used to be though, and I think it's getting close to the time where he might need to retire. As much as I have loved Ozzie, the time comes for all players, and I think his is getting near. That's why I suggested that AFTER this season, we look at a new backup, and Auld and Conklin would be my first choices.

Howard and Larsson next season IMO. Maybe McCollum if he shows major improvement in the AHL, although he ideally needs another year.

I don't know what's going on contract wise with Larsson, but I'd prefer to have a more experienced tender in goal. Next year will only be Jimmy's third in the league, and as good as he has looked so far, he is still young. If Osgood retires, which is the only way he'll be leaving the Red Wings, we should find a goalie who can fill Ozzie's role, to help out Jimmy.

Well, I watched the Phoenix-game - and IMO he should have stopped the three first goals. Sorry, I just cant see how Osgood is good enough for this team any more. <_<

Edit: I wish he would prove me wrong, but so far - nope

Edited by Norwegian Red Wing

I don't know what's going on contract wise with Larsson, but I'd prefer to have a more experienced tender in goal. Next year will only be Jimmy's third in the league, and as good as he has looked so far, he is still young. If Osgood retires, which is the only way he'll be leaving the Red Wings, we should find a goalie who can fill Ozzie's role, to help out Jimmy.

Still our property, recently posted back-to-back shutouts in the SEL. :thumbup:

Ozzy lost the #1 spot on his own last year and what worries me more is the lack of confidence from the "D" playing in front of him. Last year at this time i would feel nervous whenever Howard got the start and now i am looking twice at who they are playing when i hear Ozzie is starting. The team never seems to play well when they have had too many days off but whatever the reason last night i was thinking Macdonald was going to be getting some minutes at some point. Ozzy is fine for backup, but hopefully his and the "D"'s confidence will improve because it is hard to watch.

What is the duration of a chance? 2 seasons?

I understand we were in a very bad place last season, with so many injuries and in the bottom of the standings most of the season. But the fact that Osgood played 23 games the entire season, most of which came prior to January and then only 5 the remainder of the season did not do him any good. Babcock chose to go with Howard because he was doing very good, but anything could happen at anytime - you need a reliable backup goalie. But if you're going to sit that backup for extended periods of time and then expect him to perform perfectly when you do need him, I think that is having unreasonable expectations.

Howard can't play in 99% of the games but Ozzie can't get a bunch of consecutive starts to get going. Ozzie is the backup goalie and we can't be making a special commitment to improve his play at the expense of Howard. A backup goalie has to come in cold sometimes. That's the nature of the position. Things are going downhill when you have to cater to your backup goalie.

I'm not saying we have to cater to him, he knows his role is as the backup goalie. He's always had a great attitude about his role whatever that has been. But if Babcock starts doing like he did last season and going with Howard simply because he's on a role, Osgood will get rusty. People seem to expect goalies to be perfect all the time but none of us are perfect when we don't consistently work on what needs to be done.

A 60-20 spilt is not an excessive amount of games that Osgood didn't play.

The following goaltenders played the same amount, less than or a few more than Osgood and performed better.

Manny Legace

Semyon Varlamov

Ty Conklin

Josh Harding

Scott Clemmensen

Brent Johnson

Andrew Raycroft :!::!:

Curtis McElhinney

Michal Neuvirth

Jason LaBarbera

Thomas Greiss

Patrick Lalime

Peter Budaj

He needs to be better, backup goalies do not get consecutive starts, that's not how his position works.

do you ever actually contribute to discussions? the only time i ever see you post is when you try to come in and be comic relief. usually you fail miserably though.

Yes I do. Like that. It's meant to poke fun and be dry humor and not be funny like a stand up comedian. And I win because you got all up in arms with it. Which means it could help to lighten up a bit.

I understand we were in a very bad place last season, with so many injuries and in the bottom of the standings most of the season. But the fact that Osgood played 23 games the entire season, most of which came prior to January and then only 5 the remainder of the season did not do him any good. Babcock chose to go with Howard because he was doing very good, but anything could happen at anytime - you need a reliable backup goalie. But if you're going to sit that backup for extended periods of time and then expect him to perform perfectly when you do need him, I think that is having unreasonable expectations.

I'm not saying we have to cater to him, he knows his role is as the backup goalie. He's always had a great attitude about his role whatever that has been. But if Babcock starts doing like he did last season and going with Howard simply because he's on a role, Osgood will get rusty. People seem to expect goalies to be perfect all the time but none of us are perfect when we don't consistently work on what needs to be done.

i think the thing you have to remember is that osgood played his way out of the starter role. its not as if he was given no chance to play. and his poor play was one of the reasons that in the spring the team needed to ride jimmy so much; they needed the points. this year, he was put in 2 games early. that would have put him on pace for 20 games or so that a backup gets. last night was his 3rd start compared to jimmy with 5. so maybe we could stop playing the 'oh he never gets to play' card.

Yes I do. Like that. It's meant to poke fun and be dry humor and not be funny like a stand up comedian. And I win because you got all up in arms with it. Which means it could help to lighten up a bit.

well if i wanted humor i would turn on comedy central. (last nights daily show is actually on right now) but i happen to come to lgw to read others opinions about the wings and offer my own. i am pretty sure thats why roughly everyone comes here.

and man, i must be REALLY up in arms about all this. after all i spent a whopping 45 seconds typing a message on a message board! talk about irrational!

i think the thing you have to remember is that osgood played his way out of the starter role. its not as if he was given no chance to play. and his poor play was one of the reasons that in the spring the team needed to ride jimmy so much; they needed the points. this year, he was put in 2 games early. that would have put him on pace for 20 games or so that a backup gets. last night was his 3rd start compared to jimmy with 5. so maybe we could stop playing the 'oh he never gets to play' card.

well if i wanted humor i would turn on comedy central. (last nights daily show is actually on right now) but i happen to come to lgw to read others opinions about the wings and offer my own. i am pretty sure thats why roughly everyone comes here.

and man, i must be REALLY up in arms about all this. after all i spent a whopping 45 seconds typing a message on a message board! talk about irrational!

You must be getting up in arms about this since you've responded twice to me about this now telling me how ridiculous I'm being and how I should act and behave. :)

I got all day to go back and forth with you on this if you want. I'd rather not though.

You must be getting up in arms about this since you've responded twice to me about this now telling me how ridiculous I'm being and how I should act and behave. :)

I got all day to go back and forth with you on this if you want. I'd rather not though.

actually i will let it go because i don't want to clutter up the thread any more with your worthless posts. why don't you just stick to posting pictures of yourself in the pictures thread?

like i said, i don't see the point in joining a hockey message board if you aren't even going to talk hockey. but i guess that makes me up in arms. guess i'll see ya around in the other threads with your unfunny drive-by comments!

actually i will let it go because i don't want to clutter up the thread any more with your worthless posts. why don't you just stick to posting pictures of yourself in the pictures thread?

like i said, i don't see the point in joining a hockey message board if you aren't even going to talk hockey. but i guess that makes me up in arms. guess i'll see ya around in the other threads with your unfunny drive-by comments!

You still didn't get it. You want me to get angry or upset by insulting my posting or perceiving that I am incompetent. You've tried to do it multiple times. I win because you took my bait too seriously. I know I post in a dry manner, it's not meant to be overly funny. I contribute how and when I want and sometimes it is in-depth discussion when I feel I need/want to, sometimes it is by poking fun at others or the situation when I feel I need/want to. Not my problem if you alone do not like it. Lecturing me or talking down to me about it like I'm a 5-year old isn't going to change anything though. But just to satisfy you, I'll say that Osgood didn't have a great game but he's not done like some people suggest (kinda what my smart-allec post was implying!!!!). Happy now? :)

I think this calls for an awkward home-boy hug.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....

:wacko: :flush:

(EDIT: This response is in response to the thread of the general thread, not specific comments. Thankyouverymuch. )

Edited by Vladifan

Guest CaliWingsNut

This isn't an essay, I didn't need a long form answer. You could have just said that you think he deserves 2 seasons of suck to lose his job.

23 games is over a quarter of the games in a season. How many games do you expect a backup to play?

Edited by CaliWingsNut

This isn't an essay, I didn't need a long form answer. You could have just said that you think he deserves 2 seasons of suck to lose his job.

23 games is over a quarter of the games in a season. How many games do you expect a backup to play?

How rude.

Short enough for you?