• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Wings need a goalie

Rate this topic

i think the thing you have to remember is that osgood played his way out of the starter role. its not as if he was given no chance to play. and his poor play was one of the reasons that in the spring the team needed to ride jimmy so much; they needed the points. this year, he was put in 2 games early. that would have put him on pace for 20 games or so that a backup gets. last night was his 3rd start compared to jimmy with 5. so maybe we could stop playing the 'oh he never gets to play' card.

I do tend to use that 'he's not getting enough ice time' a lot. I know he's played himself into this position and we know he's capable of better. It makes me sad that he's had such a great career and many don't appreciate that fact either. Right now I would just like to see him have a successful season, especially if it turns to be his last as a Wing. That would be good for both him and the Wings.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

You still didn't get it. You want me to get angry or upset by insulting my posting or perceiving that I am incompetent. You've tried to do it multiple times. I win because you took my bait too seriously. I know I post in a dry manner, it's not meant to be overly funny. I contribute how and when I want and sometimes it is in-depth discussion when I feel I need/want to, sometimes it is by poking fun at others or the situation when I feel I need/want to. Not my problem if you alone do not like it. Lecturing me or talking down to me about it like I'm a 5-year old isn't going to change anything though. But just to satisfy you, I'll say that Osgood didn't have a great game but he's not done like some people suggest (kinda what my smart-allec post was implying!!!!). Happy now? :)

I think this calls for an awkward home-boy hug.

Stfu troll.

do you ever actually contribute to discussions? the only time i ever see you post is when you try to come in and be comic relief. usually you fail miserably though.

How does he fail miserably as a comic? Clearly you havent seen the pictures hes posted of himself.

do you ever actually contribute to discussions? the only time i ever see you post is when you try to come in and be comic relief. usually you fail miserably though.

How does he fail miserably as a comic? Clearly you havent seen the pictures hes posted of himself.

I got all day to go back and forth with you on this if you want. I'd rather not though.

Your 20k+ posts say otherwise. Go spend time with your kid.

Stfu troll.

But STEAM ROXORS THE BIG ONE1111!!!

I am pretty funny looking.

Your 20k+ posts say otherwise. Go spend time with your kid.

Don't have a kid.

*shrugs*

Seriously, why all the freakin' hate around here? Does Ozzy's play really piss people off that much, or do you all just need another cup of coffee? Simmer down everyone...

Stfu troll.

The only troll I see here is you, buddy.

Let's get back on topic here... anyone who's been a fan of this team for any length of time knows how it is with Ozzy. He blows games, he admits it and we see it on the ice. He also comes up huge, usually when the Wings need it most. Ozzy will be fine as a backup, and the Wings will be fine. The season is young, and I think the team in general hasn't quite gelled yet. The blame for last night's failure should be equally placed on both Ozzy and the defense.

Look at how many games Osgood has played in the last year, of course his numbers aren't going to be that great.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

Ok people please quit saying this it makes no damn sense. If Osgood played every game would he probably be better? yes probably, but the team would suffer for it. I guess we should take out Datsyuk and put in Abdelkader? Justin will improve his play right? sure but at a cost to the team. The best way for Osgood to help his team is to play less, and be a good teammate.

does it really matter how we got here or what Ozzie did in the past??

Babcock banished Osgood to the doghouse in the second half of last season. How long before he calls out Osgood again?? Better to trade Osgood and give a younger guy a chance.

I do tend to use that 'he's not getting enough ice time' a lot. I know he's played himself into this position and we know he's capable of better. It makes me sad that he's had such a great career and many don't appreciate that fact either. Right now I would just like to see him have a successful season, especially if it turns to be his last as a Wing. That would be good for both him and the Wings.

i do agree with you here. and really, i am not of the 'zomg please someone trade osbad to the oilers!!!!!11' mentality. however, i at least respect someones right to have that opinion. personally, i think osgood has been playing poor. outside of the 08 playoff run, he has been pretty poor for 24 months now. i would bet his cumulative stats since the start of the 08 season are fairly poor. and since lots of people think stats are unimportant i think just watching his play agrees with the poor assessment. he has certainly had good games and good runs, but to me, his play has definitely been declining for the past 2+ seasons.

with that said, i think he is still capable of being a decent backup. however, he cant have 1st periods like last night. you have to give your team a chance to win. the wings dont have many options other than to ride out this season with him as backup and hope he plays decent. if he doesn't though, it certainly will get ugly on here.

Guest Stolberg

post-3563-1271373190.jpg

Guest Crymson

How profound.

GMR is known for being pessimistic and petulant, not for being profound.

Osgood gave up one bad goal last night.

Babcock banished Osgood to the doghouse in the second half of last season. How long before he calls out Osgood again?? Better to trade Osgood and give a younger guy a chance.

I actually agree with this if Babcock chooses to go the same route as before. The team would be better served with a different back up goalie than one that is being forced to sit out because he's being punished by the coach. I really like Howard, he won me over last season, but he can only be expected to play so much. Yes he's young and can take it, but these back spasms are a wake up call, he's not a super human he will have bad days. We need someone that will be able to come in and play when called upon. Osgood did do that the last 2 periods last night, it was just the 1st that did us in.

Guest Crymson

I actually agree with this if Babcock chooses to go the same route as before. The team would be better served with a different back up goalie than one that is being forced to sit out because he's being punished by the coach. I really like Howard, he won me over last season, but he can only be expected to play so much. Yes he's young and can take it, but these back spasms are a wake up call, he's not a super human he will have bad days. We need someone that will be able to come in and play when called upon. Osgood did do that the last 2 periods last night, it was just the 1st that did us in.

Osgood can win games if the team in front of him plays capably. He's unlikely to steal games at this stage of his career, but then few backups in the league can steal games.

LOL.

And your magnificent obsession with GMR continues.

To be honest, I always enjoy watching your freakouts whenever the mildest thing goes wrong. My personal favorite was your outburst of indignant, angry hopelessness after the 2008 trade deadline.

Edited by Crymson

Who will you trade? Specifics, please?

Guest CaliWingsNut

I knew as soon as the game was over, this thread would be bumped to the top of the 1st page. It's like clockwork.

Actually. I brought it back to life before the second period. :)

If Ozzie posted in this thread and admitted that we need a goalie, people would still not agree with the major premise.

He really needs to get his s*** together.

So does the defense (not Lidstrom) and McCrimmon. And some forwards. Modano and Hudler for two. It's supposed to be a team concept. How much team play did you see out there, especially in the first period? Ozzie did not play well first period. Fact is, none of 'em looked all that hot that period but from what I read on the GDT, they all got better as the game went on.

Guest mindfly

Ken Holland has got to get a good golie to detroit no matter what, remove a top6 forward or top4 D and get a top notch goaltender PLEASE

Guest mjtm77

Ken Holland has got to get a good golie to detroit no matter what, remove a top6 forward or top4 D and get a top notch goaltender PLEASE

No thanks Howard is fine

I've been a fan of Ozzie for years, and I appreciate everything he's done. He's come up clutch many times. However, the past few years he's been steadily declining. His ability to make timely saves has disappeared and he seems to get scored on in bunches and by poor scoring chances.

With his contract up at the end of the year, I almost hope he sees his decline and just decides to hang them up. If his poor play continues through the rest of the season I would have to push for signing a decent back-up goalie to fill-in while McCollum matures for a few seasons.

So does the defense (not Lidstrom) and McCrimmon. And some forwards. Modano and Hudler for two. It's supposed to be a team concept. How much team play did you see out there, especially in the first period? Ozzie did not play well first period. Fact is, none of 'em looked all that hot that period but from what I read on the GDT, they all got better as the game went on.

That's where it helps to have a goalie than can make saves while the team is playing poorly.

If he played better in the 1st, we'd have won the game after the team woke up and started playing better.

I love Osgood and have for many years- he is in my top 5 all time favorites (Yzerman, Shanahan, Osgood, Sawchuck, Howe) But I gotta say last night was the first time I have ever been PISSED watching him play. I have always been OK with him on previous screw ups- even able to laugh at them- but last night just tourqued me something royal for the first time ever. I hope I never feel like that again with him.

That's where it helps to have a goalie than can make saves while the team is playing poorly.

If he played better in the 1st, we'd have won the game after the team woke up and started playing better.

I would suggest if the other four guys had played better too (no breakaways, better forechecking and defense in the first,) they'd all have been better off and probably won the game. We'll probably never agree on this stuff, but that's OK. Meanwhile, I appreciate the fact that you can offer points of discussion without getting nasty or petty. :thumbup:

Edited by Vladifan