• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Enforcer

Wings need a goalie

Rate this topic

Osgood looks terrible. He's looked terrible for too long now. It's moved way beyond anything that could be considered a slump. Most nights, it's literally painful just to watch his positioning. He leaves massive gaps everywhere. 08 was 08. Those days are gone. Ozzie sucks now. It's painful to say, but I have ZERO faith in him.

That's where it helps to have a goalie than can make saves while the team is playing poorly.

If he played better in the 1st, we'd have won the game after the team woke up and started playing better.

I'm guessing you didn't watch the second period at all.

Ozzie is a pro and has been for a long time... he's seen seasons with a lot of playing time and seasons with limited games... But the fact that this team has a 8-11-4 record with him over the past two seasons just isn't good enough.. I would rather not see this team in the position they were in last year at the end of the season, trying to make up ground in the standings and guarantee a playoff berth.. and having a backup that can come in and get the job done is a big part of ensuring that doesn't happen.. I'm not ready to bail on Osgood's season, but I do cringe whenever I see him in net these days... Maybe the 400 hump is a bit of a psychological obstacle to him or something, but his positioning is painful to watch at times.

IMO, Osgood is tired and old (let him get #400 and then sit him.) Problem is, Jimmy sucks too. Wings need a big time player goalie, too bad the rediculous contracts do not allow that to happen this season. It's gonna be Jimmy all year, giving up 4-5 goals per game. I have never been nor ever will be impressed or have faith in Jimmy. God I hope McCollum is better than Jimmy. Although he is dropping down the prospects list...

Wings might have to make a play for a REAL goaltender in the off season...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest Crymson

IMO, Osgood is tired and old (let him get #400 and then sit him.) Problem is, Jimmy sucks too.

Aaaand we're back to 2007-2008 LeftWinger.

IMO, Osgood is tired and old (let him get #400 and then sit him.) Problem is, Jimmy sucks too. Wings need a big time player goalie, too bad the rediculous contracts do not allow that to happen this season. It's gonna be Jimmy all year, giving up 4-5 goals per game. I have never been nor ever will be impressed or have faith in Jimmy. God I hope McCollum is better than Jimmy. Although he is dropping down the prospects list...

Are you kidding me? What more does Jimmy have to do? I mean I guess I understand if you are worried about a sophmore slump, but saying he sucks is just, quite frankly stupid.

Jimmy Howard is easily the best goalie for the Wings situation, and I'm more than comfortable we have him.

Howie's 4-0-1 with a .925 sv% and 2.14 GAA. Yeah, really awful. :rolleyes:

Ok, ok, he doesn't suck. Poor choice in words there, I can't pinpoint whether its him or the defense, but something is bad out there, whichever one it is. And yes, if (when) Osgood retires after the season, I can see the Wings going after a proven vet goalie and using him and Howard as a 1a-1b tandem next year. Who that is and can Holland afford him? Don't know...

By that point we were already in a 3-0 hole. It's hard to win games when in that situation.

He played well after the first period, but he didn't help us any with his awful start.

My point is he had one soft goal in the first.

He made plenty of saves and the Wings did bring it back to a 1 goal game.

It's not like Detroit was down 6-0, here.

Guest mindfly

Get Ryan Miller back home to michigan

I would love to trade rafalski and some other in a package for him but kenny handles out NTC's like it was candy :/

My point is he had one soft goal in the first.

He made plenty of saves and the Wings did bring it back to a 1 goal game.

It's not like Detroit was down 6-0, here.

His positioning is still awful Doc. I'm not an Ozzie basher... but seriously. You can't NOT notice how awful it's been. Even though pucks were hitting him more in the second and third, he really never made adjustments to fix his positioning.

Edited by Broken 16

Get Ryan Miller back home to michigan

I would love to trade rafalski and some other in a package for him but kenny handles out NTC's like it was candy :/

why would buffalo want anything to do with an aging defenseman who is not particularly great in his own zone? any package that could get miller here would consist of players that fans dont want to give up. if anything, i think the wings would be looking at having to put 3-5 solid players in the deal. mostly because they don't have any young top end talent that is needed to get a franchise goalie. the only way rafalski makes any sense is because he has a similar salary. so really the fact that kenny hands out nmc's has nothing to do with it. if miller was so concerned with coming back to michigan, he wouldnt have extended his contract in buffalo.

besides, theres nothing wrong with the starter the wings have. they just need a more consistent backup.

Guest mindfly

RYan Miller is more wishful thinking, i would have loved carey price, but they didn't keep halak so that's also a longshot... i think bryzgalov is far from impossible to get... Just think about the positive sides from getting a really really good goalie, the defense, or team as a whole doesn't have to play perfect to win, in detroit's case it's always, play more or less perfect = Win, have a bad period or some turnovers = Loss, it doesn't have to be this way...

I think that Ozzie's play has been reflective of the fact he hasn't been given the games to get into a rhythm. He recovered well against PHX after a poor start and I feel/hope his season will have the same trajectory.

I do think it is interesting to think about the Goalie situation next year, though. With the possibility of Nick and Ozzie's money available the wings could make a big move. I mean Bryzgalev's contract will be up, but that is probably dreaming - unless he wants to jump ship for a contender. The more likely situation, given the Wings model, is that the money is spent on defense and Conklin, who will be available, is brought back or someone similar.

His positioning is still awful Doc. I'm not an Ozzie basher... but seriously. You can't NOT notice how awful it's been. Even though pucks were hitting him more in the second and third, he really never made adjustments to fix his positioning.

I'm not saying Osgood is back to his 2008 form, here.

I'm just saying his game wasn't as bad as people are insinuating. It was bad, but not hella bad.

I'm not saying Osgood is back to his 2008 form, here.

I'm just saying his game wasn't as bad as people are insinuating. It was bad, but not hella bad.

I know, but you just gotta wonder when enough is enough. We all (well not all of us) expect Osgood to find form again but this has been goin on for a LONG time now. Osgood as a backup seems to be an issue in the early going here. I'm still praying he finds former form, I'm just becoming increasingly pessimistic about the notion. And I hate it.

Edited by Broken 16

I know, but you just gotta wonder when enough is enough. We all (well not all of us) expect Osgood to find form again but this has been goin on for a LONG time now. Osgood as a backup seems to be an issue in the early going here. I'm still praying he finds former form, I'm just becoming increasingly pessimistic about the notion. And I hate it.

Considering this is the final year of his contract, I would assume enough is at the end of this year.

Guest Shoreline

Aaaand we're back to 2007-2008 LeftWinger.

I don't think he ever left. He's always one of the first people to s*** all over a Wing player or declare the Wings aren't going to either make the playoffs or win the cup.

Anyhow, I think some are right in that Ozzie hasn't played spectacular the last few seasons. Part of that may be due to the defense hanging him out to dry relatively often, part of that may be due to not playing as many games, perhaps that Ozzie's best seasons were all behind him and his age is showing. Certainly, though, the few losses incurred with Ozzie in net so far this season was not in large due to him, and the posts saying Ozzie sucks or can't play net or nitpick goals he allowed include convenient, typical omissions of when he saved the defense's ass when opponents somehow made it past the D. The breakaways from his last start is the perfect example, where he allowed a goal off the first breakaway then saved the next three, but negative nancies jump all over on, and exclusively, that first one.

It's so sad that there's a line of Red Wings "fans" (using the term very loosely) just waiting to post in this topic to take a s*** (<-- in this case minutes after a few goals) on a Red Wings player when something goes wrong for our team. I'm utterly afraid of how they handle praise and criticism in other areas of life and things they supposedly enjoy.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't think he ever left. He's always one of the first people to s*** all over a Wing player or declare the Wings aren't going to either make the playoffs or win the cup.

He also said he wasn't going to be a fan anymore after the SJ series. I thought, "Well at least that's one less person who just hates Hudler".

Anyhow, I think some are right in that Ozzie hasn't played spectacular the last few seasons. Part of that may be due to the defense hanging him out to dry relatively often, part of that may be due to not playing as many games, perhaps that Ozzie's best seasons were all behind him and his age is showing. Certainly, though, the few losses incurred with Ozzie in net so far this season was not in large due to him, and the posts saying Ozzie sucks or can't play net or nitpick goals he allowed include convenient, typical omissions of when he saved the defense's ass when opponents somehow made it past the D. The breakaways from his last start is the perfect example, where he allowed a goal off the first breakaway then saved the next three, but negative nancies jump all over on, and exclusively, that first one.

It's so sad that there's a line of Red Wings "fans" (using the term very loosely) just waiting to post in this topic to take a s*** (<-- in this case minutes after a few goals) on a Red Wings player when something goes wrong for our team. I'm utterly afraid of how they handle praise and criticism in other areas of life and things they supposedly enjoy.

Very well said/written. Thanks. An understatement concerning this thread is that the verbal attacks on Ozzie are usually not very logical or consistent. Or for that matter, show much perspective. It is indeed sad and frustrating.

Guest Crymson

I would like Ryan Miller if Howie goes bad somehow....

Great. And I'd love to be handed a check for $255 million today. Is there anything else you'd like, so long as we're on the subject? :P

Was anyone at the game last year (I believe it was the 4-2 win vs. Nashville in Januray) when the Wings did their "fan of the game" promo with a season ticket holder and they asked the guy who his favorite player was and he said, "Jimmy Howard. It's so nice to have a goalie you can trust in net". With Osgood sitting on the bench. First time I've heard one of those season ticket holder's get booed. hehe.

Only goalie who I think might be used for trade bait is a guy like Edmonton's Nikolai Khabibulin. He's a veteran presence who has won a cup. His numbers aren't great this season which could be attributed to playing on such a young team or his age. He looked pretty solid yesterday in the win over the Hawks (I think Oilers were outshot 12-2 in 3rd and 41-22 overall). I've always been partial to him from his days as the Bulin Wall in Winnipeg. Who can forget that Game 5 performance against the Wings where he stopped 51 shots of 52(ironically he beat Ozzie).

Haven't seen Ozzie play this year. Has he really been that bad in the back up roll?