• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#121 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Look at how many games Osgood has played in the last year, of course his numbers aren't going to be that great.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

What is the duration of a chance? 2 seasons?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#122 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

Look at how many games Osgood has played in the last year, of course his numbers aren't going to be that great.

And he did say in the after game interview that he should have had it, but he needed to get the rust off. I think he needs some regular games so get going. I understand that Howard is #1 goalie now, but you can't expect him to play in 99% of the games and perform well. They need to have a good back up goalie and Osgood can be that if given a proper chance.

Howard can't play in 99% of the games but Ozzie can't get a bunch of consecutive starts to get going. Ozzie is the backup goalie and we can't be making a special commitment to improve his play at the expense of Howard. A backup goalie has to come in cold sometimes. That's the nature of the position. Things are going downhill when you have to cater to your backup goalie.

Edited by Howard He Do It?!, 28 October 2010 - 09:40 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#123 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

Except Marty has never had a season under .900. Osgood has been under it for over a year.

Ozzie's also never had a playoff even approaching Marty's worst (in the prime of his career!) in a measure of brutality.

Sorta silly to compare either way.
If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#124 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

can't Ozzie be sent down to GR for a 2 week conditioning spell, thats the only way he's going to get a run of games.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#125 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

Nobody is saying they shouldnt get some of the blame. But when you get beat from inside the blueline with a wrist shot and beat from an unscreened shot from the bottom of the circle thats just as much his fault.

Because picking the top corner (short side or not) is such an easy shot to stop.

Posted Image

#126 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:07 AM

Need a new goalie, yes! As it is now, Im almost certain we loose when Ozzie is standing between the pipes. He is not the goalie he used to be.. :thumbdown:

Some say we need to cut him some slack.. "only four games" ..SO? Save% .885.. Not good enough!
Posted Image

#127 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Because picking the top corner (short side or not) is such an easy shot to stop.

every side of osgood is the short side :hehe:

#128 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

Need a new goalie, yes! As it is now, Im almost certain we loose when Ozzie is standing between the pipes. He is not the goalie he used to be.. :thumbdown:

Some say we need to cut him some slack.. "only four games" ..SO? Save% .885.. Not good enough!

Pointing at the stats is a bit silly. Try watching the games. Had you watched the game the Wings played against Dallas, you'd see that Osgood gave up four goals on 16 shots through a series of horrible bounces and terrible defense.

#129 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:22 AM

every side of osgood is the short side :hehe:

Oh no he didn't.

Has anyone really thought that Osgood might be too small at this point? His technique doesn't seem to have changed, but it appears that the gaps that people are able to shoot in have gotten bigger on him.

Maybe its just me but Osgood can't get away with being out of position at any time like Howard could because he doesn't take up as much net and isn't as agile as he used to be. Which really seems like it magnifies his mistakes ten fold.

Posted Image

#130 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:27 AM

Looks like the year is starting off as a challenging one for Ozzie. Hopefully he'll find a way to get back into 1B form instead of backup.

#131 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

Pointing at the stats is a bit silly. Try watching the games. Had you watched the game the Wings played against Dallas, you'd see that Osgood gave up four goals on 16 shots through a series of horrible bounces and terrible defense.

yeah tonight was his only genuinely terrible game

and it was only the first period(although obviously that was enough to lose us the game)

#132 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:59 AM

Howard and Larsson next season IMO. Maybe McCollum if he shows major improvement in the AHL, although he ideally needs another year.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#133 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

Until the Wings lose a game with them in net, then the box score fans will be out in force to declare one needs a certain save % per game in order to be a goalie in the NHL.

Oz could have played the breakaway a little better.. that was the only fault I saw. Nothing one could do about picking the corners as he was in position and can't take up 100% of the net, even at such an angle. I've never known Ozzie to be a good shootout tender, so wasn't surprising he didn't save that first breakaway, but he did save another breakaway afterwards. The main thing to ask is why the hell the defense keeps letting forwards behind them so far up ice. Ozzie is a convenient target for knee jerk reactions so I have little respect for the opinion of anyone who makes such early declarations that he needs to go. At best, they aren't very smart, at worst, they're crappy trolls.

I watched the whole game, so I'm not quite a 'box score fan'. The truth is, he was godawful in that first period, but he definitely improved throughout the game. The problem I've noticed with Ozzie is that he tends to be very, very bad in the first, which usually has us playing catch up for the rest of the game. I'd like to see Ozzie get better, because I AM a fan of his. I've almost always defended him, but the third goal especially was just horrible.

I'd like to see Ozzie play a bit more. He's not the goalie he used to be though, and I think it's getting close to the time where he might need to retire. As much as I have loved Ozzie, the time comes for all players, and I think his is getting near. That's why I suggested that AFTER this season, we look at a new backup, and Auld and Conklin would be my first choices.

Howard and Larsson next season IMO. Maybe McCollum if he shows major improvement in the AHL, although he ideally needs another year.

I don't know what's going on contract wise with Larsson, but I'd prefer to have a more experienced tender in goal. Next year will only be Jimmy's third in the league, and as good as he has looked so far, he is still young. If Osgood retires, which is the only way he'll be leaving the Red Wings, we should find a goalie who can fill Ozzie's role, to help out Jimmy.

#134 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

Osgood thinks you all smell. He's making fun of you all right now.

#135 Norwegian Red Wing

Norwegian Red Wing

He shoots - He SCOOORES!

• HoF Booster
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Well, I watched the Phoenix-game - and IMO he should have stopped the three first goals. Sorry, I just cant see how Osgood is good enough for this team any more. <_<

Edit: I wish he would prove me wrong, but so far - nope

Edited by Norwegian Red Wing, 29 October 2010 - 07:13 AM.

Posted Image

#136 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

I don't know what's going on contract wise with Larsson, but I'd prefer to have a more experienced tender in goal. Next year will only be Jimmy's third in the league, and as good as he has looked so far, he is still young. If Osgood retires, which is the only way he'll be leaving the Red Wings, we should find a goalie who can fill Ozzie's role, to help out Jimmy.

Still our property, recently posted back-to-back shutouts in the SEL. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#137 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:10 AM

Osgood thinks you all smell. He's making fun of you all right now.

We think he smells much worse.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#138 HockeytownRN

HockeytownRN

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:29 AM

Ozzy lost the #1 spot on his own last year and what worries me more is the lack of confidence from the "D" playing in front of him. Last year at this time i would feel nervous whenever Howard got the start and now i am looking twice at who they are playing when i hear Ozzie is starting. The team never seems to play well when they have had too many days off but whatever the reason last night i was thinking Macdonald was going to be getting some minutes at some point. Ozzy is fine for backup, but hopefully his and the "D"'s confidence will improve because it is hard to watch.

#139 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

What is the duration of a chance? 2 seasons?

I understand we were in a very bad place last season, with so many injuries and in the bottom of the standings most of the season. But the fact that Osgood played 23 games the entire season, most of which came prior to January and then only 5 the remainder of the season did not do him any good. Babcock chose to go with Howard because he was doing very good, but anything could happen at anytime - you need a reliable backup goalie. But if you're going to sit that backup for extended periods of time and then expect him to perform perfectly when you do need him, I think that is having unreasonable expectations.

Howard can't play in 99% of the games but Ozzie can't get a bunch of consecutive starts to get going. Ozzie is the backup goalie and we can't be making a special commitment to improve his play at the expense of Howard. A backup goalie has to come in cold sometimes. That's the nature of the position. Things are going downhill when you have to cater to your backup goalie.

I'm not saying we have to cater to him, he knows his role is as the backup goalie. He's always had a great attitude about his role whatever that has been. But if Babcock starts doing like he did last season and going with Howard simply because he's on a role, Osgood will get rusty. People seem to expect goalies to be perfect all the time but none of us are perfect when we don't consistently work on what needs to be done.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#140 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

A 60-20 spilt is not an excessive amount of games that Osgood didn't play.

The following goaltenders played the same amount, less than or a few more than Osgood and performed better.

Manny Legace
Semyon Varlamov
Ty Conklin
Josh Harding
Scott Clemmensen
Brent Johnson
Andrew Raycroft :!::!:
Curtis McElhinney
Michal Neuvirth
Jason LaBarbera
Thomas Greiss
Patrick Lalime
Peter Budaj

He needs to be better, backup goalies do not get consecutive starts, that's not how his position works.