• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Watching the Ducks / Thrashers game I noticed they now have four players of African descent: Dustin Byfuglien, Anthony Stewart, Evander Kane, and Johnny Oduya. I don't remember any other team having as much diversity represented. Personally I think thats a good thing and wonder if it's a coincidence that its happening in Atlanta. Whattya think?

works every time

#2 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

Don't forget Nigel Dawes too. Edmonton had Anson Carter, Mike Grier, and Georges Laraque around 2001/2002.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#3 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

Oh yeah Dawes too! Too bad one more of them doesn't play D - they could field a line.

Edited by kook_10, 15 October 2010 - 09:32 PM.

works every time

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Diversity isn't limited to just dark-skinned players, but no I can't think of any other team with as many African Americans as Atlanta.

#5 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Diversity isn't limited to just dark-skinned players, but no I can't think of any other team with as many African Americans as Atlanta.

Of course not, but regardless I can't think of diversity in any sense being represented as well before. Only Buf is American too.

works every time

#6 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

You're right, but I think it's great that there's a bit more diversity. It can only be good for the game. I also think it's cool how there are a few Asian players and I think even one from Brazil?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#7 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:23 PM

You're right, but I think it's great that there's a bit more diversity. It can only be good for the game. I also think it's cool how there are a few Asian players and I think even one from Brazil?

the one from brazil is like robyn reghier or something, there is one form africa, and he too is on the thrashers
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#8 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

Atlanta is not a hockey market...you need to market the sport to a demographic....Evander Kane, Dustin Byfuglien, Johnny Oduya are pretty kick ass players and they are black. From a marketing perspective it is perfect for the team to represent a large percentage of the population...i guess?

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:20 AM

Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black?

I couldn't give a damn about how "diverse" my team is. I don't care if your skin is black, yellow, red, green, blue or brown. I only care about what you can do for my team.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

<br />Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black? <br /><br />I couldn't give a damn about how &quot;diverse&quot; my team is. I don't care if your skin is black, yellow, red, green, blue or brown. I only care about what you can do for my team.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I agree totally. If you can play, you're welcome on my team, period.

Edited by dicksmack, 16 October 2010 - 09:44 AM.

Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#11 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black?

I couldn't give a damn about how "diverse" my team is. I don't care if your skin is black, yellow, red, green, blue or brown. I only care about what you can do for my team.

Well played sir :clap:

#12 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

I did a rundown before free agency last year of which teams had the most nationalities represented by birth country.

http://www.letsgowin..._1#entry1993553

#13 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Growing Disconnect Between Fans, Players (No One Wants To Talk Race And Its Relevance To The Problem)

In a nationwide study of Americans in 1993, 62 percent of whites said they loved or liked the NBA. By 2003, that dropped to 50 percent. Viewed a different way, whites who said they hated or disliked the NBA rose from 21 percent in 1993 to 30 percent in 2003.

The NFL and NBA are post-integration. The NHL isn't there yet.

works every time

#14 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

<br /><a href='http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6561841/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Growing Disconnect Between Fans, Players (No One Wants To Talk Race And Its Relevance To The Problem)</a>  <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />The NFL and NBA are post-integration.  The NHL isn't there yet.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Hockey is what it is, kind of a niche sport compared to the NBA and NFL. I definitely think it will become more diverse and that's ok but I don't see it reaching the point where there's anywhere near more non-whites than whites and that's ok too. More white folks are into hockey and that's just the way it is and how it will be.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman

#15 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

<br /><br /><br />

I agree totally. If you can play, you're welcome on my team, period.

I'd prefer you play well though.

#16 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

Oh yeah Dawes too! Too bad one more of them doesn't play D - they could field a line.

Posted Image

Hey! What do you mean "them"?

#17 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Byfuglien and Oduya play D, so there's your line. Funny though, my friends and I have talked about this a couple times in the last week. I'm just waiting for Fred Brathwaite to come back from Germany and play with em (I believe he was in Atlanta's system last, too).

#18 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

On our current roster the Wings have...
7 players from Canada
6 players from United States
6 players from Sweden
2 players from Russia
2 players from Czech Republic
1 player from Finland

I would say we have quite a bit of diversity too

#19 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

I don't think most people in Atlanta even know what the NHL is. They likely have no idea who the Atlanta Thrashers are. I mean they can't even sell out an Atlanta Braves home playoff game. I think if they iced a team of made up of midgets it wouldn't make a difference. It does in Montreal but not in Atlanta.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#20 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Akim Aliu came over in the Big Buff deal too.