• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Thrashers' Diversity

Rate this topic

Watching the Ducks / Thrashers game I noticed they now have four players of African descent: Dustin Byfuglien, Anthony Stewart, Evander Kane, and Johnny Oduya. I don't remember any other team having as much diversity represented. Personally I think thats a good thing and wonder if it's a coincidence that its happening in Atlanta. Whattya think?

Diversity isn't limited to just dark-skinned players, but no I can't think of any other team with as many African Americans as Atlanta.

Of course not, but regardless I can't think of diversity in any sense being represented as well before. Only Buf is American too.

Diversity isn't limited to just dark-skinned players, but no I can't think of any other team with as many African Americans as Atlanta.

You're right, but I think it's great that there's a bit more diversity. It can only be good for the game. I also think it's cool how there are a few Asian players and I think even one from Brazil?

You're right, but I think it's great that there's a bit more diversity. It can only be good for the game. I also think it's cool how there are a few Asian players and I think even one from Brazil?

the one from brazil is like robyn reghier or something, there is one form africa, and he too is on the thrashers

Atlanta is not a hockey market...you need to market the sport to a demographic....Evander Kane, Dustin Byfuglien, Johnny Oduya are pretty kick ass players and they are black. From a marketing perspective it is perfect for the team to represent a large percentage of the population...i guess?

Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black?

I couldn't give a damn about how "diverse" my team is. I don't care if your skin is black, yellow, red, green, blue or brown. I only care about what you can do for my team.

<br />Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black? <br /><br />I couldn't give a damn about how "diverse" my team is. I don't care if your skin is black, yellow, red, green, blue or brown. I only care about what you can do for my team.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree totally. If you can play, you're welcome on my team, period.

Edited by dicksmack

Why? Do white fans lose intrest in the NFL or NBA because most of the players are black?

Growing Disconnect Between Fans, Players (No One Wants To Talk Race And Its Relevance To The Problem)

In a nationwide study of Americans in 1993, 62 percent of whites said they loved or liked the NBA. By 2003, that dropped to 50 percent. Viewed a different way, whites who said they hated or disliked the NBA rose from 21 percent in 1993 to 30 percent in 2003.

The NFL and NBA are post-integration. The NHL isn't there yet.

<br /><a href='http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6561841/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Growing Disconnect Between Fans, Players (No One Wants To Talk Race And Its Relevance To The Problem)</a>  <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />The NFL and NBA are post-integration.  The NHL isn't there yet.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hockey is what it is, kind of a niche sport compared to the NBA and NFL. I definitely think it will become more diverse and that's ok but I don't see it reaching the point where there's anywhere near more non-whites than whites and that's ok too. More white folks are into hockey and that's just the way it is and how it will be.

Oh yeah Dawes too! Too bad one more of them doesn't play D - they could field a line.

Byfuglien and Oduya play D, so there's your line. Funny though, my friends and I have talked about this a couple times in the last week. I'm just waiting for Fred Brathwaite to come back from Germany and play with em (I believe he was in Atlanta's system last, too).

Guest Hatethedrake!

I don't think most people in Atlanta even know what the NHL is. They likely have no idea who the Atlanta Thrashers are. I mean they can't even sell out an Atlanta Braves home playoff game. I think if they iced a team of made up of midgets it wouldn't make a difference. It does in Montreal but not in Atlanta.

<br /><br /><br />

Hockey is what it is, kind of a niche sport compared to the NBA and NFL. I definitely think it will become more diverse and that's ok but I don't see it reaching the point where there's anywhere near more non-whites than whites and that's ok too. More white folks are into hockey and that's just the way it is and how it will be.

There, I fixed it for you, NBA is actually on the decline in terms of popularity and the NHL is on the rise... we are very comparable to the NBA... NFL and MLB are in another league.

Edited by Booster313

On our current roster the Wings have...

7 players from Canada

6 players from United States

6 players from Sweden

2 players from Russia

2 players from Czech Republic

1 player from Finland

I would say we have quite a bit of diversity too

1 from Russia, 1 from Belarus.

Also 7 from the USA and 6 from Canada.

On our current roster the Wings have...

7 players from Canada

6 players from United States

6 players from Sweden

2 players from Russia

2 players from Czech Republic

1 player from Finland

I would say we have quite a bit of diversity too

They come from different backgrounds and different countries, but they are all white. The Politically Correct crowd (which dictates what everyone should think) does not accept diversity of culture. They only care about the colour of one's skin.

In other words, two people who look different, but have exactly the same upbringing, habits, culture, language, history, and may have been raised next door to each other are "diverse" if they have different skin colours, but two people from opposite ends of the earth who have nothing in common except for skin colour are not.

And we wonder why racism still prevails.

They come from different backgrounds and different countries, but they are all white. The Politically Correct crowd (which dictates what everyone should think) does not accept diversity of culture. They only care about the colour of one's skin.

In other words, two people who look different, but have exactly the same upbringing, habits, culture, language, history, and may have been raised next door to each other are "diverse" if they have different skin colours, but two people from opposite ends of the earth who have nothing in common except for skin colour are not.

And we wonder why racism still prevails.

Way to turn a positive into a negative. Get caught up in semantics much?

I think it's safe to assume that Forsberg or Hasek never had to listen to slurs on the ice.