• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Thrashers' Diversity

Rate this topic

Way to turn a positive into a negative. Get caught up in semantics much?

I think it's safe to assume that Forsberg or Hasek never had to listen to slurs on the ice.

The whole diversity thing just grates on me. I see too many people who judge by colour of skin in a negative way. Just let people be themselves and don't pay attention to their looks- that's what I think.

Sure "diversity" is a hackneyed and vague term, but the point of my post was that it was good to see a historically underrepresented group have so many guys on one team. They're nowhere near the talent of the Russian Five, but if they were to skate a line I think the cultural significance would be similar. It's unfortunately most often not the case that black and white are culturally similar in the US, and while the players themselves may identify themselves as similar, they without a doubt all do recognize themselves as role models for a minority.

Personally, I used to play as a little kid in LA against Richard Park (formerly of the Islanders, Wild, Pens) and I remember it was his dream to be the first Korean to play in the NHL. While he was just another guy (albeit incredibly talented) to the rest of us, this dream was important enough to him and his family that they moved to Canada when he was 13 so he could have the best chance to make it happen. [in the end Jim Paek beat him to Pittsburgh by a year].

I've rewritten this post and gone back and forth on the issue about 50 times, and here's what I think it boils down to: I think, in the end, it's a good marketing move. The point of a hockey team is to assemble the most talented players you can in order to win as many games as you can. Ordinarily I would say signing players based on race might not necessarily work toward your goal of getting the most talented players, but at the moment, the Thrashers have a bigger problem: nobody cares about them. Even if they did have the most talented players in the league and they won the Stanley Cup this year, not that many people would give a hoot, and they'd still be relying on cash flow from teams like ours to make ends meet.

Things being as they are, though, they are not the most talented team in the league, and I think they would be wise to do something to try to increase their ticket sales any way they can so that THEN, once they have a little revenue flowing in, they can focus on bringing in more talent and going for the ultimate goal, which is to win. That way, they can have their cake and eat it, too; they'll have a good fanbase and a good team for them to cheer for.

That said, I have no idea how this is going to work. Someone please tell me what a guy like Byfuglien, who's from the middle of nowhere in northern Minnesota, has in common with someone who's lived in a Southern urban center like Atlanta all their life. This seems totally cheesy to me...it's like, "Hey, we have black players! See, you should like hockey, too!" You can't force people to like something. Oh well, I guess there's not much risk involved, really...especially considering the slim pickings this off-season. I say that if it gets a few people to give hockey a chance and end up loving it, then it'll be worth it. Be kinda funny if, somewhere down the line, the Ducks were predominantly Hispanic and a majority of the Canucks were Asian, though...

Atlanta is not a hockey market...you need to market the sport to a demographic....Evander Kane, Dustin Byfuglien, Johnny Oduya are pretty kick ass players and they are black. From a marketing perspective it is perfect for the team to represent a large percentage of the population...i guess?

This.

While not (necessarily) a recipe for success in the standings, Atlanta is the perfect city to utilize this tactic with. Evander Kane is good in my book for busting up Matt Cooke last season, and the Thrashers just beat the Sharks on the road, so what do I know about how successful they'll be this season? :siren:

On our current roster the Wings have...

7 players from Canada

6 players from United States

6 players from Sweden

2 players from Russia

2 players from Czech Republic

1 player from Finland

I would say we have quite a bit of diversity too

and a Slovakian that should make the team in another year or two(Tatar)

and a Slovanian that should make the team next year(Mursak)

Mursak will also be the second Slovanian nhler ever(Kopitar is the other)

Edited by ricky0034

The term "Whatever American" needs to go away... FOREVER...

People are not Asian American, African American, Irish American, etc... they are American, Canadian, Russian, or wherever else their allegiance and citizenship lies... furthermore, the idiocy behind referring to a Canadian born and bred player as "African American" in itself is moronic and Iginla's interview where he lambasted the interviewer for referring to him as such, gave me a whole different level of respect for him...

How about we stop caring about the color of a players skin and instead focus on the quality of the person off the ice and the player on the ice... I think it's great that this amazing game is expanding to all classes and races, but that should just be looked at as normal, not as something to be applauded, just something to be expected.

Until we can get over ourselves, the PC BS that divides us (such as these titles) and STOP caring about these things, we will never evolve...

I think it's safe to assume that Forsberg or Hasek never had to listen to slurs on the ice.

You are kidding, right? Every Saturday night, for the last 15-20 years, European players have had their toughness, desire & heart questioned on Canadian national TV, and it gets lapped up by a large portion of hockey fans.

I remember during the 97 finals, LeClair had hold of Fedorov during a scrum along the boards. The effects mike picked up "******* commie bastard" clear as a whistle.

How about we stop caring about the color of a players skin and instead focus on the quality of the person off the ice and the player on the ice

Indeed. Didn't someone famous once say he wanted his children to grow up in a world they are judged not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character? ;)

You are kidding, right? Every Saturday night, for the last 15-20 years, European players have had their toughness, desire & heart questioned on Canadian national TV, and it gets lapped up by a large portion of hockey fans.

I remember during the 97 finals, LeClair had hold of Fedorov during a scrum along the boards. The effects mike picked up "******* commie bastard" clear as a whistle.

Indeed. Didn't someone famous once say he wanted his children to grow up in a world they are judged not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character? ;)

PERFECTLY stated.

:clap:

Canadians have always been the easiest to blame the European players for their own failures.

Maybe in this regard hockey gods don't give them to win the cup for how long ... 15 years :ph34r: