• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jenny

Illitch "definitely committed" to new downtown arena

Rate this topic

Fine by me so as long the boards are just as active. I love reading other teams' fans ***** about how active our boards are! :thumbup:

Indeed.

Forget all the technology, big screens, heated seats or whatever, the on-ice product is what matters. All the stadium technology in the world won't get you a Stanley Cup.

not trying to be negative, but what are the chances mike is even around when this is complete? I mean the guy is already 81 :unsure:

As long the guy drinks his Rakija and eat's his peppers, he will be around too see it.

Of course he expects them to pay. That's why he bought the Pistons. He's using the threat of moving the Wings to the suburbs as leverage for city funding for a new rink.

With The Wings and Pistons playing in metro Detroit you get 10,000+ people in that area 100 times a year, spending money. Like Illitch, the city needs to invest in order to stimulate the economy.

The man loves Detroit. If he wants a new rink, I say help the guy out. It will be good for the city and good for long-term revitalization.

I agree in spirit with what you are saying. And I don't want to go into politics.

However, the city simply can't afford it. Detroit HAS NO MONEY!! We can barely afford to keep the lights on in the schools....no exaggeration. Hard to fathom, but the city is broke. I get concerned that such a threat and "force play" by Illitch might create some deep resentment from those who believe there are higher priorities than funding a new arena. Additionally, I'm not sure how effective such a leverage "force" play by Illitch to threaten to move the Wings out of the city in hopes of keeping the Wings and adding the Pistons. Looking at the big picture, this would be nice and yes financially good for the city...but not as lucrative as some may think. The core componenet of city revitilization and economic growth is getting people to reside in the city. Not to visit a few/often times for a couple of hours and back to the suburbs. I have a friend who owns a restaurant downtown and he loves the Wings/Tigers/Lions/Air Race business, but it's nothing to "hang your hat on"....especially considering that ticket, parking, arena vending has become so very expensive. His sentiments are that it's so darn expensive just to park and attend a game....a lot of people are foregoing visiting downtown restaurants/bars for pre-game, post game meals/drinks that once used to be such a steady part of his business....cause they just spent a ton of money simply going to the game.

Anyhow, I would love to see this arena built downtown and have it a great representation of the city of Detroit, the Wings, and if absolutley neccesary the Pistons (but would rather the Wings have their own barn).

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

Of course he expects them to pay. That's why he bought the Pistons. He's using the threat of moving the Wings to the suburbs as leverage for city funding for a new rink.

With The Wings and Pistons playing in metro Detroit you get 10,000+ people in that area 100 times a year, spending money. Like Illitch, the city needs to invest in order to stimulate the economy.

The man loves Detroit. If he wants a new rink, I say help the guy out. It will be good for the city and good for long-term revitalization.

I would rather the City put more cops on the streets then help a building out. I understand the need for a new arena but when it comes down to it the City has bigger issues it needs to address first...like stated security, schools, streets, abandon buildings and other things.

It seems as though nothing new has come from the Ilitch's about the wings future home, something needs to be done. renovate the Joe or make the decision to build a new arena. or find a temporary home.

The Wings have a short term deal in place for the JLA and will build a new arena when able. Think 5yr time frame. It's difficult to secure financing for a new hockey arena right now with many banks just coming out of the bailouts.

The Wings have a short term deal in place for the JLA and will build a new arena when able. Think 5yr time frame. It's difficult to secure financing for a new hockey arena right now with many banks just coming out of the bailouts.

Please banks started to make a profit a few months after the bailout. I am sure the only thing that is holding him back are two things

1. He wants Detroit to pay for a portion of it

2. City Council are a bunch of corrupt f***s.

Edited by dragonballgtz

It should have a name that goes with the city. It always pissed me off that General Motors Place was in Vancouver.

I just don't want a sh*tty corporate named tied to the Wings that doesn't make sense other than they pay however many million a year to have their name on the outside of the building. Tampax Center. Amazon.com Place. Purina Arena... I wouldn't mind that last one.

Please banks started to make a profit a few months after the bailout. I am sure the only thing that is holding him back are two things

1. He wants Detroit to pay for a portion of it

2. City Council are a bunch of corrupt f***s.

You are correct, banks are making a profit it has very little to do with that, it has more to do with the fact that credit policies have changed, and financing a 400 million dollar arena is considered a risky venture. The city of Detroit can not afford a new arena, Ilitch knows that and has never been one to handcuff the city for his own benefit. He has put millions or dollars back into the city of Detroit including helping the auto industry when they were at their worst a year and a half ago.

What about Howe Arena?

Or better yet, Howezerman Arena? :P

The Production Center would be a legit name. Do statues all around of the Production Line members like they have at the Joe and do some sort of the thing with the Big 3 car company names around the rim somewhere. I know that's another way of big bad "corporate America" putting their stamp on it but I mean, they laid the foundation for this hard working town. Plus sort of ties in with the great years of Howe, Lindsay, and Abel.

Edited by HankthaTank

IMHO the primary reason why Ilitch hasn't broken ground on a new arena is because he's looking for financial assistance...Too bad for him the bulk of the cost will come outta his own back pocket.

He was banking pretty heavy on the leverage that he would get from owning the Pistons. From what I've gathered, the idea was to entice the city to fork over more of the coverage costs for the arena and in return, Illitch agrees to bring the Pistons back to Detroit. Unfortunately the owner of Palace Entertainment wasn't fully honest about the value of the sale. Illitch inevitably found out and the plans fell through.

Who knows what's in the plan now. All I know is that the Joe is a dump.

Even though I was only able to start attending games at the Joe this past April, I somehow have been swept in. When I wasn't at school I was closer to Nationwide and so dad would always take us there due to time considerations, but I completely prefer the Joe. I can't say what it is either, I love that its dedicated to a Legendary Detroit native, and though others call it a dump, when the team is going and a good crowd fills it I can't think of a more electric environment to behold. And Im sorry but those new arenas that encourage people to use their electronic devices irk me a a bit. You are at a hockey game, watch the hockey game or expel some energey and get your head up to watch the jumbotron. Ok rant over. If Mike builds us a new arena I will come, but I wouldnt mind him making sure to tie our heritage into it.