Illitch "definitely committed" to new downtown arena

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 LOredwing248

LOredwing248

Jr. Prospect

• 21 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Ya I agree with you! I still like the idea of Delta Centre (I know it has been used in the NBA before, but not anymore.) With Delta Airlines being the major airline in Detroit now, it makes sense. But another one to consider, and this could have a little to do with Grand Rapids being associated with the Wings, how about Meijer Gardens? Here's a few more to chew on:

Amway Place

Better Made Arena

Art Van 1/2 Off Centre (:lol:)

Bing Steel House

Belle Tire Hub

Deja Vu Centre

You have other companies like: Delphi, Dow Chemical, Faygo, Gordon Foods, Guardian Industries (Ironic!), Jiffy Mix, Penske Automotive, Roush Performance, Whirlpool, Ally, Lear, Visteon, Spartan Stores. Then again, Comerica Bank is now headquartered in Dallas, so who knows! I say Illitch should dump Comerica as soon as the contract expires just for being yet another Michigan born company that turned its back on us!

Idk maybe it's just me but I think it's weird that you want to have a corporate arena name.

#22 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Idk maybe it's just me but I think it's weird that you want to have a corporate arena name.

Well, there isn't much choice. It is what is done in todays world...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#23 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

I sure hope he does not expect for the City of Detroit to pay for some of it like they did for Comerica Park. If the City was healthy I would be for it but it can barley pay for public services let alone paying for part of a new stadium.

Of course he expects them to pay. That's why he bought the Pistons. He's using the threat of moving the Wings to the suburbs as leverage for city funding for a new rink.

With The Wings and Pistons playing in metro Detroit you get 10,000+ people in that area 100 times a year, spending money. Like Illitch, the city needs to invest in order to stimulate the economy.

The man loves Detroit. If he wants a new rink, I say help the guy out. It will be good for the city and good for long-term revitalization.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#24 TheCaptain19

TheCaptain19

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

Of course he expects them to pay. That's why he bought the Pistons. He's using the threat of moving the Wings to the suburbs as leverage for city funding for a new rink.

With The Wings and Pistons playing in metro Detroit you get 10,000+ people in that area 100 times a year, spending money. Like Illitch, the city needs to invest in order to stimulate the economy.

The man loves Detroit. If he wants a new rink, I say help the guy out. It will be good for the city and good for long-term revitalization.

AMEN. couldn't have said it better.

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

I agree as well, even though I know you are using numbers with the consideration of games not selling out every night, I hope that the arena seats at least 24,000. If they (pistons) ever return to the top of the heap and the economy turns up more, imagine the cash generating with 24,000 people 100 times a year? Nice!

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#26 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

Fine by me so as long the boards are just as active. I love reading other teams' fans ***** about how active our boards are! :thumbup:

Indeed.

Forget all the technology, big screens, heated seats or whatever, the on-ice product is what matters. All the stadium technology in the world won't get you a Stanley Cup.

#27 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

not trying to be negative, but what are the chances mike is even around when this is complete? I mean the guy is already 81 :unsure:

As long the guy drinks his Rakija and eat's his peppers, he will be around too see it.
FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#28 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

I agree in spirit with what you are saying. And I don't want to go into politics.
However, the city simply can't afford it. Detroit HAS NO MONEY!! We can barely afford to keep the lights on in the schools....no exaggeration. Hard to fathom, but the city is broke. I get concerned that such a threat and "force play" by Illitch might create some deep resentment from those who believe there are higher priorities than funding a new arena. Additionally, I'm not sure how effective such a leverage "force" play by Illitch to threaten to move the Wings out of the city in hopes of keeping the Wings and adding the Pistons. Looking at the big picture, this would be nice and yes financially good for the city...but not as lucrative as some may think. The core componenet of city revitilization and economic growth is getting people to reside in the city. Not to visit a few/often times for a couple of hours and back to the suburbs. I have a friend who owns a restaurant downtown and he loves the Wings/Tigers/Lions/Air Race business, but it's nothing to "hang your hat on"....especially considering that ticket, parking, arena vending has become so very expensive. His sentiments are that it's so darn expensive just to park and attend a game....a lot of people are foregoing visiting downtown restaurants/bars for pre-game, post game meals/drinks that once used to be such a steady part of his business....cause they just spent a ton of money simply going to the game.
Anyhow, I would love to see this arena built downtown and have it a great representation of the city of Detroit, the Wings, and if absolutley neccesary the Pistons (but would rather the Wings have their own barn).

Edited by Learn2LuvIt, 19 October 2010 - 11:43 AM.

ENJOY THE RIDE

#29 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

I would rather the City put more cops on the streets then help a building out. I understand the need for a new arena but when it comes down to it the City has bigger issues it needs to address first...like stated security, schools, streets, abandon buildings and other things.

#30 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

I would rather the City put more cops on the streets then help a building out. I understand the need for a new arena but when it comes down to it the City has bigger issues it needs to address first...like stated security, schools, streets, abandon buildings and other things.

Agreed.

IMHO Mike Ilitch should foot a large portion of the bill when it comes time for a new arena.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#31 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

From the Freep:

Ilitch aide: A new downtown arena would bustle with technology

[/url]

Technology = cheerleaders, beer goggles, a hot n ready, and free crazy bread?

That's about all I could muster until they give something tangible beyond hype.

#32 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

It seems as though nothing new has come from the Ilitch's about the wings future home, something needs to be done. renovate the Joe or make the decision to build a new arena. or find a temporary home.

#33 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Name the new arena "Olympia Arena"

#34 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

I wonder how close the new arena will be to the Robocop statue?
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#35 acidroach420

acidroach420

You know I've got a soft spot for hot dogs

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Mr. Allan's Sports Dome

All tickets are $29.00 or 2 for $50.

#36 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

It seems as though nothing new has come from the Ilitch's about the wings future home, something needs to be done. renovate the Joe or make the decision to build a new arena. or find a temporary home.

The Wings have a short term deal in place for the JLA and will build a new arena when able. Think 5yr time frame. It's difficult to secure financing for a new hockey arena right now with many banks just coming out of the bailouts.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#37 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

The Wings have a short term deal in place for the JLA and will build a new arena when able. Think 5yr time frame. It's difficult to secure financing for a new hockey arena right now with many banks just coming out of the bailouts.

Please banks started to make a profit a few months after the bailout. I am sure the only thing that is holding him back are two things

1. He wants Detroit to pay for a portion of it
2. City Council are a bunch of corrupt f***s.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 16 February 2011 - 09:00 PM.

#38 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:03 PM

Yzerman Arena. :D

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#39 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

It should have a name that goes with the city. It always pissed me off that General Motors Place was in Vancouver.

I just don't want a sh*tty corporate named tied to the Wings that doesn't make sense other than they pay however many million a year to have their name on the outside of the building. Tampax Center. Amazon.com Place. Purina Arena... I wouldn't mind that last one.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#40 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

Please banks started to make a profit a few months after the bailout. I am sure the only thing that is holding him back are two things

1. He wants Detroit to pay for a portion of it
2. City Council are a bunch of corrupt f***s.

You are correct, banks are making a profit it has very little to do with that, it has more to do with the fact that credit policies have changed, and financing a 400 million dollar arena is considered a risky venture. The city of Detroit can not afford a new arena, Ilitch knows that and has never been one to handcuff the city for his own benefit. He has put millions or dollars back into the city of Detroit including helping the auto industry when they were at their worst a year and a half ago.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.