• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

not trying to be negative, but what are the chances mike is even around when this is complete? I mean the guy is already 81 :unsure:

You bit your tongue.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#42 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Yzerman Arena. :D

What about Howe Arena?

Or better yet, Howezerman Arena? :P

#43 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

What about Howe Arena?

Or better yet, Howezerman Arena? :P

The Production Center would be a legit name. Do statues all around of the Production Line members like they have at the Joe and do some sort of the thing with the Big 3 car company names around the rim somewhere. I know that's another way of big bad "corporate America" putting their stamp on it but I mean, they laid the foundation for this hard working town. Plus sort of ties in with the great years of Howe, Lindsay, and Abel.

Edited by HankthaTank, 16 February 2011 - 10:12 PM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#44 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Well he backed out of the Pistons deal so good news is if a new arena is built it won't be a joint arena.

#45 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I sure hope he does not expect for the City of Detroit to pay for some of it like they did for Comerica Park. If the City was healthy I would be for it but it can barley pay for public services let alone paying for part of a new stadium.

IMHO the primary reason why Ilitch hasn't broken ground on a new arena is because he's looking for financial assistance...Too bad for him the bulk of the cost will come outta his own back pocket.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#46 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

IMHO the primary reason why Ilitch hasn't broken ground on a new arena is because he's looking for financial assistance...Too bad for him the bulk of the cost will come outta his own back pocket.

He was banking pretty heavy on the leverage that he would get from owning the Pistons. From what I've gathered, the idea was to entice the city to fork over more of the coverage costs for the arena and in return, Illitch agrees to bring the Pistons back to Detroit. Unfortunately the owner of Palace Entertainment wasn't fully honest about the value of the sale. Illitch inevitably found out and the plans fell through.

Who knows what's in the plan now. All I know is that the Joe is a dump.

#47 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

I would rather the City put more cops on the streets then help a building out. I understand the need for a new arena but when it comes down to it the City has bigger issues it needs to address first...like stated security, schools, streets, abandon buildings and other things.

Agreed.

Nothing against the Ilitch's, but that family has the $$$ to build it themselves...I'm sure city of Detroit has better ways to spend what little $$$ it has.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#48 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

The Lightning are doing a whole bunch of awesome arena renovations for next year. It looks awesome!

I hope the Red Wings arena becomes the greatest hockey arena ever seen. They deserve it.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#49 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:32 AM

From the Freep:

Ilitch aide: A new downtown arena would bustle with technology

[/url]

I absolutely have to get the wife up to a game at the Joe before this occurs....
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#50 Detroit40oz

Detroit40oz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

Call-Sam Center

#51 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Even though I was only able to start attending games at the Joe this past April, I somehow have been swept in. When I wasn't at school I was closer to Nationwide and so dad would always take us there due to time considerations, but I completely prefer the Joe. I can't say what it is either, I love that its dedicated to a Legendary Detroit native, and though others call it a dump, when the team is going and a good crowd fills it I can't think of a more electric environment to behold. And Im sorry but those new arenas that encourage people to use their electronic devices irk me a a bit. You are at a hockey game, watch the hockey game or expel some energey and get your head up to watch the jumbotron. Ok rant over. If Mike builds us a new arena I will come, but I wouldnt mind him making sure to tie our heritage into it.

#52 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:49 PM

If it was Art Van, it would be the Art Van CLEARANCE Centre.
I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#53 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

They have hired the architects to design the new rink.

Linky

Edited by Din758, 21 May 2012 - 01:04 PM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#54 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

They have hired the architects to design the new rink.

Linky

AA Center (the Hangar) is a beautiful basketball venue. It absolutely sucks to try to watch hockey there. It is too steep and you can't see the corners, so you learn to watch the game on the jumbotron - admittedly one of the coolest jumbotrons I've seen.

I am very glad I have been able to catch a few games at the Joe before they dump it. What a shame, when/if that happens. :(

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#55 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I was curious when i saw that it would be a 18k seat arena. are they just not including the suites in that number? cuz id be surprised if there are less seats in the new one than the joe (20,066).

I just wish they would do a new Joe, but keep the sightlines, and seats. all the new joe needs is a nice video board, wider concourse with more or bigger bathrooms, and to get rid of the mt everest of stairs you have to climb to get in.

bars in the surrounding area would be sweet too.

#56 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Agreed.

Nothing against the Ilitch's, but that family has the $$$ to build it themselves...I'm sure city of Detroit has better ways to spend what little $$$ it has.

They don't. They are doing all they can to get investors to put their own money into infrastructure so more people will come to the city, increase the profits of shops (so they won't fold after a year or two), increase the demand for jobs, increase the population, and increase the tax base.

The city helping put the Red Wings in an arena that is actually downtown and not tucked away in a corner surrounded by bridges and highways would do a lot for the city.

Posted Image

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

Having watched a ton of games at the Joe in the 80s and 90s, I thought maybe they should just look into trying to renovate or revitalize it.

Then I watched a game at the Staples Center and thought "Tear the Joe down now!!!"

Nostalgia aside, the Joe is a dump. Architecturally ugly, geographically poorly positioned. While I don't think Wings fans will need all the bells and whistles to keep the crowd entertained during tv timeouts and the like, having multiple floors with multiple levels of of concessions and bathrooms makes a HUGE difference. You'll actually be able to buy a beer or take a leak without missing half the game.

#58 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

I heard the new arena will be called The Little Caesars Brandon Inge Memorial Colosseum.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#59 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

adding to harolds point, anyone who doesnt think we should have an upgrade from the Joe, go check out Jobing.com in glendale. thats the only other NHL rink ive been to, and it was awesome. they have a whole community around that rink including bars/restaurants, hotels, shops, and so on. I get that we wont have the same amount of room to do the same, but anything half as cool as that area would be amazing.

awesome layout they got there.

#60 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

adding to harolds point, anyone who doesnt think we should have an upgrade from the Joe, go check out Jobing.com in glendale. thats the only other NHL rink ive been to, and it was awesome. they have a whole community around that rink including bars/restaurants, hotels, shops, and so on. I get that we wont have the same amount of room to do the same, but anything half as cool as that area would be amazing.

awesome layout they got there.

I agree 100%. That arena in Glendale is awesome. I was there last year. So many empty seats though. I swear only 5000 people were actually in the arena during the game. Of course it was a Yotes-Flames game.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams