• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Players you've always wanted on the Wings

Rate this topic

Peter Bondra and Alexi Kovalev on Fed's wings would have been pretty awesome.

But maybe the Wings could have done something with these guys?

Teemu Riihijarvi 6'6" forward taken 12th overall '95.

Matt Zultek 6'4" wing taken 15th overall '97.

Michael Henrich 6'2" forward who was the only 1st round pick in '98 not to play a game in the show.

Sasha Pokulok 6'5" D selected 14th overall in '05 now playing in the DEL.

A guy who should have been given more of a chance at NHL level was Jody Gage, who the older fans on here will

recall was drafted by the Wings. Went on to get over 1000pts in the 'A'.

For entertainment value, Frank Bialowas and Sasha Lakovic on the Wings 4th line with Joey Kocur as centre.

No, I don't think him being able to score was the reason he's hated. Sakic sure scored a s*** ton of goals on this team and yet there likely isn't one person who hates him. There's been plenty of pests that have come and gone, plenty of jackasses who try to fight people like Yzerman or Lidstrom, but the low that Lepuke sunk to was one of epic proportions and quite memorable.

A fantasy team of what I'd like on the Wings is likely based off of their actual performance and play style, which I presume just about everyone else here picked theirs, not NHL 11 ratings. Not to knock you for picking what you like, but, er, screw it, it was a dumb choice. :P

You need to go back and look at others lists, if you're dismissing HIM because he was known as a cheap shot artist. I see several others on peoples fantasy lists that have pretty long rap sheets.

The low that you speak of was a boarding penalty? Didn't Stuart take a penalty for that, 30 seconds into the game the other night? Sure the result was different, but the penalty was the same.

I guess we should all pile on Gordie and Lindsay for being cheap shot artists too. The league even had to add 2 rules to deal with our heroes flagrant elbows and knees to opposing players.

I know I didn't pick a popular choice here, but to dismiss his playing abilty at clutch times, because of one shot to a Red Wing is just missing the whole idea of this thread.

Also, I didn't realize that Lemieux was on NHL '11, but then again the last time I played a video game, Pong™ was new on the market.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Everyone is saying Pronger I would have him on my team for free. He is a piece of work. I think he shouldn't be aloud in the nhl. He is the dirtiest player that has ever played the game but everyone is aloud there own opinion I guess. Hang him I say. Lol

blink.gif

allowed

He is by far not the dirtiest player to play the game and I'd love to have him on my team for free.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Patric Hornqvist, he's basically Holmstrom 2.0 and skates better, imagine if we brought him here to learn from Homer directly, the guy could score 40 goals from within 5 feet from the net.

Also, I'd take Evander Kane in a heartbeat, that kid is going to be dominant in a couple years.

On D, I would be stoked if we could somehow steal Doughty away from LA, he is the closest of any other defenseman playing right now to having the total package like our own beloved Perfect Human.

Realistically though, I'd settle for a full season (75 games or more) out of Franzen and Kronwall, that alone will make us a favorite to win the West.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

A few more I thought of...

Paul Ranger would look good at a 4th-5th d man.

Shea Weber of course, I always liked Brian Campbell, even though he's overpaid if the Wings had signed himf or like 3-3.5 million I think he'd be a fan fave here.

Sami Pahlsson was always tough to play agaisnt.

Mark Streight or Andrei markov would work well in our system.

Of course Lucic.

I'll add more when I have more time

You're letting emotion get in the way of a fantasy team. If he were on the team, he wouldn't have broken Draper's face. I'm altering history here. There's a reason that this guy was public enemy #1. Because he could perform.

And if pigs had wings they'd fly, cheapshots or not no one else mentioned did anything remotely close to a Wing player what Claude did to Drapes. Yes you can rewrite history if you want but my loyalty won't allow me, and that event as gruesome as it was, might have been the catalyst that launched the Wings to their first cup in 42 years.

I would like to say that these are guys that I would've loved to have on the Wings and along with many other teams, the Wings had a chance to draft them as well. Only because a lot of the names mentioned so far the Wings never had a chance to draft (Crosby, Ovechkin, etc...) and or sign in their prime, so here we go: (and yes I know, the draft is a crap shoot, but this is actually more of a reality than us getting Crosby or Stamkos)

1984: Shayne Corson, Kevin Hatcher, Stephane Richer, Gary Suter

1985: Joe Nieuwendyk

1986: Brian Leetch, Scott Young

1987: Joe Sakic (duh), John LeClair, Theo Fluery

1988: Mark Recchi, Tony Amonte, Rob Blake, Alex Mogilney

1989: You can't really argue with the results of our 1989 draft, but here are a couple I would have rather seen. Instead of Mike Sillenger I would've have like Adam Foote. Pavel Bure instead of Bob Boughner.

1990: A lot of guys from this draft rather than Primeau. Ricci, Jagr, Sydor, Tkachuk, Brodeur, Weight, Zubov. Even though Primeau got us Shanahan, but any of those guys in a Wings sweater would've been great!

1991: Rolston, Naslund, Glen Murray

1992: Peca

1993: Langenbrunner, Brenden Morrison, Demitra

1994: Elias, Drury, Hejduk, Alfredsson, Steve Sullivan

1995: Marc Savard

1996: Chara

1998: Erik Cole

1999: Ryan Miller, Erat

2000: Travis Moen

2001: Patrick Sharp, Tootoo (yes, so do you!)

2002: James Wisniewski

2003: Pavelski

2004: Versteeg

2005: Paul Stastny, Latendresse, Letang

2006: Clutterbuck

2007-2010 kids are way too young to see who turns out, although I would have liked to see Tinordi come here, but Sheahan could work out nicely! I know this is kinda off topic, but these are guys that could've been drafted by Detroit and been on this team. I realize a lot of other teams missed these guys too, and with 4 Cups since 1997, I believe the Wings have done well for themselves. :ninja:

Going back even further:

1971 you can't argue with picking Dionne, but in the 2nd round they passed on Larry Robinson.

1972 they could've had Bob Nystrom.

1973, Rick Middleton.

1974 Tremblay, Trottier.

1975 Doug Jarvis, Dave Taylor.

1976 Brian Sutter.

1977 Mike Bossy, Doug Wilson.

1978 Anton Stastny, McTavish, Al Secord.

1979 Mike Gartner, Rick Vaive, Ray Bourque, Michel Goulet, Mats Naslund, Dale Hunter, Neal Broten, Glen Anderson, Anton Stastny (again, he was drafted the year prior but never signed) I left out Mark Messier, I believe he was property of Edmonton in the WHL or something, if I am worng then, yeah, a ton of teams kicked themselves for that one!

1980 Kurri, Nicholls, Mullen, Larmer, Brent Sutter.

1981 they should've just drafted Chelios to begin with!

1982 Tony Granato, Doug Gilmour.

1983 Hmmmmmmm, :lol: this one is interesting, lets break it down by rounds:

Round 1 Obviously

Round 2 Claude Lemieux instead of Lane Lambert

Round 3 Probert

Round 4 Esa Tikkenen instead of David Korol

Round 5 Klima and Kocur

Round 6 Rick Tocchet instead of Chris Pusey

Round 7 Christian Ruttu instead of Bob Pierson

Round 8 Tommy Albelin instead of Craig Butz

Round 9 Brian Noonan instead of Dave Sikorski

Round 10 Hasek instead of Grimson

Round 11 Blah, after the way Krupp played for us, Jeff Frank was a fine Choice! :lol:

Round 12 Makarov instead of Charles (Chachi) Chiatto!

...ya ya, nobody is that perfect in drafting players, but this is all in fun, right?!?

Edited by LeftWinger

Hmm that's why last year he was voted the dirtiest player in the game!! After him taking a run at an injured Stevie Y he can jump off a cliff as far as I am concern!

blink.gif

allowed

He is by far not the dirtiest player to play the game and I'd love to have him on my team for free.

1990: A lot of guys from this draft rather than Primeau. Ricci, Jagr, Sydor, Tkachuk, Brodeur, Weight, Zubov. Even though Primeau got us Shanahan, but any of those guys in a Wings sweater would've been great!

2004: Versteeg

Even though I don't like Primeau and - as a youngster - blamed him for Paul Coffey leaving town, I am grateful for the trade that brought Shanny to the Wings. Definitely my favorite Red Wing of all-time.

I'd like to have Versteeg, too.

As a young kid i always grew up playin mini sticks with my older brother and when i was goalie i was Cujo and Hasek for the wings, you know pretending they had gotten traded. THen the wings ended up getting both and i was pumped. I always also wanted to see Tanguay come here. For some reason i always thought Jeff Friesen would've done well here too.

But in today's game i want LUCIC

I've always like Ryan Clowe a lot.

Ever since he s***kicked Tootoo he's been a favorite of mine as well. Doubtful he'll ever hit the 30-40 goal plateau but that just reaffirms how awesome Shanny was in his prime; 40-50 goals AND he'd fight anyone, and usually win to boot. He'd throw a vicious elbow and then flash that Irish "what me?" grin in an interview after the game and you'd have to love him. He had the shot, the size, the nastiness and the personality. It's too bad the back injury hampered his physical play later in his career but in his prime, he was the man.

Steve Downie

Ryane Clowe

Mark Giordano

John Erskine

Dan Carcillo

Brandon Dubinsky

Shea Weber

Brenden Morrow

Jim Vandermeer

Derek Boogaard

That's all I got for now.

[/q] I like your list and I've wanted many of the same guys on the Wings at one time or another, but who's going to play on the ice when they're all in the sin bin together? lol

Phil Esposito, Dave Semenko, (in their prime)

Anze Kopitar, Mike Grier, (now)

Jason Blake, Brian Lee, Matt or Mark Cullen (because they're from Moorhead and if they win the Cup, they'll bring it here and I can see it) :D

Always wanted big forwards to play here. In 90s I wanted Shanny to come here and we traded for him. In 2000s I want Todd to play for the Red Wings and we got him. Now I want Lucic and Backes. Unfortunately, we'll never get these two in the salary cap era.