and the first one to do... IS THE 3 POINT SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
100% agreed, but I am also ok with this slow feeling out process they are doing. (Not to say testing in the AHL would be a bad idea, quite the contrary).
Here is what they need to do to finally come to the perfect system, and IMO it is inevitable that they make it here:
1. Make every game worth 3 points, one way or the other. 3 for a win in regulation, 2 for a win in OT or Shootout, 1 for a loss in OT or shootout. Fair to everyone.
2. 4 on 4 OT followed by 3 on 3 OT. Better than the current system and better than the pre-lockout system, adds much excitement while also cutting down on shootouts
3. Make shootouts 5 skaters a side. Soccer does 5, international hockey does 5, where the hell did they ever get 3 from?
This is what can never be done for a variety of reasons:
- Award no points for losing in OT or Shootout
- Go back to having ties
- Introduce shootouts or 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 stuff into the playoffs
- have continuous OT during the regular season
And on a complete sidenote: They need to start the season in mid to late September, so that the playoffs finish before June and then they can bump up the draft and UFA day so that the latter doesn't fall on North American holiday weekends (July 1st and 4th)
Edited by T-Ruff, 19 October 2010 - 03:06 PM.