• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:06 AM

I like the idea of 2 points for a win, no points for any kind of loss. But honestly it's just a number, if they go for a 3 point system it's unnecessarily complicated but it's still just a number.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#62 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

I just wish they'd pick something and stick with it.

I'm sick of teams getting a point for making it to OT then losing. That is just stupid.

I actually am in the minority here who like the shootouts. Ties are just meh. Ties are, to me, an anticlimactic way to end a game. Shootouts can be exciting, and even if they aren't maybe the most fair way to judge...well, don't let your team GET to that point then. Does it really matter at that point if you lose in OT or lose in the shootout if you still get a stinking point for losing...

Posted Image

#63 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

I personally wouldn't care about ties if playing hockey wasn't so intense nowadays and games weren't so numerous and close together, leading to more possible injuries. For the playoffs, it makes a lot of sense to do a normal 5 on 5 continuous OT. For the regular season, there's nothing to be down about to see a tie. These gimmicks they've kept trying to do really turn a 60+ minute battle into a joke of a conclusion. Extent OT to 20 mins like a 4th period and if they can't resolve the tie then just give em the tie and go home with a point. While the NHL might be thinking of marketing with a shootout, the main issue that remains or remained with both kinds of OT (OT tie and OT/SO) is that teams milk(ed) the clock for the result of a tie or the result of a shootout. There was no incentive to play hard in those extra frames since the time was so short. Making OT significantly longer will make players more prone to mistakes, and likely make coaches strategically think about winning in OT opposed to just playing for a tie or shootout. Then there's the long touted idea of giving more points for regulation wins, but that's just my view of a sensible idea on changing post-regulation play -- and preferably keeping it that way.

Edited by Shoreline, 20 October 2010 - 11:40 AM.

#64 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

i'm sick of OT and SO. It's pathetic when two teams play the last 10 minutes not to lose when the score is tied. Most boring hockey ever (Vancouver Vs Chicago tonight was a lame game).

I think OT should be an automatic -2 points per team and the loser gets a -3. So if the team has 39 points, if they go to OT and win, they move down to 37 points. The loser moves down 3 points.

This will make teams hustle to close the game in Regular time instead of playing for the point.

Edited by Heaten, 20 October 2010 - 10:47 PM.

#65 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

From Toronto Star:

Id just like to see more games decided by playing hockey, said Detroit GM Ken Holland.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#66 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

i'm sick of OT and SO. It's pathetic when two teams play the last 10 minutes not to lose when the score is tied. Most boring hockey ever (Vancouver Vs Chicago tonight was a lame game).

I think OT should be an automatic -2 points per team and the loser gets a -3. So if the team has 39 points, if they go to OT and win, they move down to 37 points. The loser moves down 3 points.

This will make teams hustle to close the game in Regular time instead of playing for the point.

This better be sarcasm...
:blink:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#67 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

UPDATE:
When Lebrun mentioned it on CBC last month he was pretty confident most GMs would be in favour, however, on the 2nd intermission of NYI @ OTT just now Darren Dreger mentioned that all signs seem to indicate that it won't fly, "the commissioner loves the shootout" and I guess that means most other GMS do too... :(

I'm still optimistic that it could get changed by next year

#68 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:45 PM

They need to quit messing with the sport on the ice. They've messed it up enough with all these inconsistent rules and ridiculous penalty calls for just playing hockey, they don't need to mess up overtime. Nothing wrong with the overtime format. If you don't like the shootout, cool, that's fine. Plenty people don't in here. I like them even though for whatever reasons the Red Wings haven't had luck with them usually lately. That being said I'm perfectly fine with going back to a W-L-T system as well. The problem is how teams are rewarded for overtime for NOT WINNING.

No points for a loss at any point in a game, no questions asked.
One point for a shootout win.
Two points for a win in overtime.
Three points for a regulation win.

That way you weed out the teams that don't deserve to make the playoffs because they couldn't seal enough games in overtime or a shootout.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 04 November 2010 - 08:46 PM.