• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

I've noticed that some of the young guns have ditched the visors this year. Zach Bogosian, Jamie Benn, and Davis Drewiske are 3 guys off the top of my head. Good to see the youngsters kickin' it old-school :thumbup:

Anyone noticed any other players that have switched?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

I've noticed that some of the young guns have ditched the visors this year. Zach Bogosian, Jamie Benn, and Davis Drewiske are 3 guys off the top of my head. Good to see the youngsters kickin' it old-school :thumbup:

I haven't noticed, no. But then again I'm blind. I lost both eyes to high sticks because I wasn't wearing a visor. :P
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#3 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

I haven't noticed, no. But then again I'm blind. I lost both eyes to high sticks because I wasn't wearing a visor. :P

The NHL is looking for some new referees. It would seem as though you would fit their current profile of refs that they are using these days.

#4 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

The NHL is looking for some new referees. It would seem as though you would fit their current profile of refs that they are using these days.

Hey.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#5 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

Can't wait for someone to bump this thread when an injury to the face happens to someone.

Hopefully not a Red Wing. Pleeeeeeeeease?

#6 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:26 AM

Yep. And then like Cleary and Draper and Lidstrom, that player will probably start wearing a visor too.........
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#7 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:50 AM

i say f*** visors! who needs eyeballs anyways!

#8 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:03 AM

I definitely understand. The day I could ditch my cage, I did. The day I could ditch my visor, I did that too. It just feels better to me.

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#9 LidstromIsASuperhero

LidstromIsASuperhero

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:59 AM

I ditched my cage... for a while. Then some moron turned and blindly fired a puck right at my face from his own corner and I wound up with 9 stitches in my cheekbone and a permanent strange tingling feeling in my right temple whenever I touch it. Point is, even if you do things right when you aren't wearing a visor, you can count on some other idiot screwing things up for you.

#10 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:59 AM

Posted Image

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#11 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

To be honest I haven't noticed...Most players in the league today wear the visor.

Can't wait for someone to bump this thread when an injury to the face happens to someone.

Hopefully not a Red Wing. Pleeeeeeeeease?

Facial injuries happen regardless - even with the visor.

I definitely understand. The day I could ditch my cage, I did. The day I could ditch my visor, I did that too. It just feels better to me.

Yeah - I couldn't stand the cage, nor the half-shield...I too kicked it "old school", and felt I could see the ice, and my surroundings 100 times better.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#12 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

i say f*** visors! who needs eyeballs anyways!

Visors aren't the answer to everything.

David-Alexandre Beauregard betrays no sadness when he tells his tale. He doesn't curse the event that changed his life, nor does he dwell upon it. Beauregard, 23, is pleased to be an outstanding left wing for the Flint Generals in the United Hockey League (UHL) and proud that the 51 goals he had scored in 67 games through Saturday was the second-best total in the low-rung circuit. Beauregard indulges in few fantasies of what might have been. Even in his dreams, he says, he has only one good eye. "That's who I am," he says. "I can't remember how things looked when I had full sight."

In the fall of 1994 Beauregard, then 18, was a premier sniper for the St. Hyacinthe Lasers of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. He had been the 11th-round pick of the San Jose Sharks the previous June.

Swift and nimble with the puck, Beauregard was on a breakaway in a Lasers game against the Granby Bisons on Oct. 16, 1994, when Bisons winger—Xavier Delisle lunged and tried to stop Beauregard with his stick. In a horrifying accident Delisle's blade rode up Beauregard's body, slipped beneath his visor and gouged his left eye. In an instant Beauregard was blind in that eye.

The stick blade had punctured Beauregard's eye, draining its humors and severing crucial blood vessels. The eye sagged, not unlike a deflated balloon, and Beauregard underwent surgery in which a soft plastic ball was sewn into his eye to reaffirm its natural shape.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...m#ixzz12oOH2E6a

He currenty plays for Nottingham Panthers in the EIHL and is slotting them away quite nicely, 8 goals and 7 assists in 12 games.

The daft thing over here though is that league rules mean everyone has to wear a visor, including enforcers (Beauregard BTW wears a full cage).

#13 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

Pointing out a freak injury involving a player wearing a visor makes about as much sense as pointing out a freak injury that occurs because someone was wearing a seat belt. I understand cages and visors are annoying and restrict vision, but they prevent many, many more injuries than they cause.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#14 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

Cages are annoying
Clear full masks fog up
Any visor besides the 1/3 looks dorky as s***tttttttttttttttttttttttt
1/3rd Visors get stratched and dont cover nearly enough.

Im my rec league I see more high sticks catching mouths then I do eyes anyways.

cage or nothing imo
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#15 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

To be honest I haven't noticed...Most players in the league today wear the visor.

Facial injuries happen regardless - even with the visor.

Yeah - I couldn't stand the cage, nor the half-shield...I too kicked it "old school", and felt I could see the ice, and my surroundings 100 times better.

I'd say about half wear a shield and half don't in the NHL today. I still say Lidstrom, Cleary, and Draper don't look right with the visor on.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#16 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

Cages are annoying
Clear full masks fog up
Any visor besides the 1/3 looks dorky as s***tttttttttttttttttttttttt
1/3rd Visors get stratched and dont cover nearly enough.

Im my rec league I see more high sticks catching mouths then I do eyes anyways.

cage or nothing imo

i have an oakley visor and it works pretty well, it only blocks a tiny bit of my peripheral vision, i have had it for 3 years and it isn't scratched up yet, the only time i am glad i had it was when a goalie punched me in the face with his blocker, in which case my face was spared thanks to the visor
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#17 Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Behind Enemy Lines in CO

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hard to believe when I played high school hockey in the mid '70s (yes i am that old) we did not have any face protection. So when I started playing adult league hockey a few years ago I bought a cage because everyone else was wearing one. Hated it, so now have a visor.

In a game last year while playing defense I put my stick out to block a shot and the puck deflected up right into my chin. 8 stitches later I still wear the visor.

So who is the idiot? :blush:

#18 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

I'd say about half wear a shield and half don't in the NHL today. I still say Lidstrom, Cleary, and Draper don't look right with the visor on.

While I agree I got used to seeing many Red Wings of years past not donning the visor - I understand the change of heart to wear one when there's a significant facial injury (especially near the eye).

Stevie Y also falls under that category too.

I remember years ago back in the early/mid 1990's - the Chicago Blackhawks then had a little "policy" amongst the player that none of them would use a half-shield...If my memory serves me right - it was Gary Suter who broke ranks, and donned the shield after getting a pretty serious cut near the eye.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#19 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

do you guys expect the league will put in a rule in the future saying players must wear a visor?

may sound ridiculous now, but just think when they were talking about making helmets mandatory. that seemed to work out alright.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#20 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

Mine is all scratched up, ends up pushed up on my helmet to where its useless anyway. I pretty much don't like it anyway. That said, I don't trust these stick wielding hooligans nowadays and would probably wear one if I played competitively again.

The difference is huge though. Having nothing there makes it seem like you can see the ice so much better.