• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Youngsters ditching the visors

Rate this topic

then just take it off then when you square up like most people do. also punching the side of a helmet hurts equally bad and nobody has a problem with that.

edit: im not trying to start a war, and im sure we could go back and forth all day like a couple of stubborn asses lol. im just sayin, theres two sides to every story.

I don't think it is as commonplace as a lot believe. Most players simple leave the visor on because it would take too much time to remove just the visor. If they remove the entire helmet they would be afraid of a K.O. punch that sends them to the ice, killing someone one day when he splits his skull open... or in the least, ruining a lucrative career.

But let me just say this. If there is no instigator penalty distributed with a fighting major then there should be some rule that has both fighters take their helmets off. Two men should be willing to inherit the risks of fighting... including crashing to the ice.

If fighting is going to be a part of the game (like it should be), than fighting should be governed properly like everything else.

Edited by BlakKy

I wear a cage because I'd rather not get hit in the face with a high stick by some moron in my adult league or intramurals. It's not worth it after wearing a cage my whole life.

although i support the right to choose what you wear either way, I have to say a visor or cage is even more needed in amateur leagues. The idiots who call them selves "hockey players" in some beer leagues and drop ins ive encountered make the worst decisions with the stick or puck that i have ever seen. The pros at least at this time still have a little bit better sense of respect and awareness when it comes to hockey that allows them to wear less protection.

although i support the right to choose what you wear either way, I have to say a visor or cage is even more needed in amateur leagues. The idiots who call them selves "hockey players" in some beer leagues and drop ins ive encountered make the worst decisions with the stick or puck that i have ever seen. The pros at least at this time still have a little bit better sense of respect and awareness when it comes to hockey that allows them to wear less protection.

Orr, Neal, Pronger, Lemieux, McSorely, Cammaleri (after the slash at the throat) all these guys have the utmost respect for their peers right?

Orr, Neal, Pronger, Lemieux, McSorely, Cammaleri (after the slash at the throat) all these guys have the utmost respect for their peers right?

Good point. I think if a guy is willing to take the risk, that's up to them whether to wear a shield or not. Like I've said, its about half and half between players right now.

Good point. I think if a guy is willing to take the risk, that's up to them whether to wear a shield or not. Like I've said, its about half and half between players right now.

i have an oakley visor and it works pretty well, it only blocks a tiny bit of my peripheral vision, i have had it for 3 years and it isn't scratched up yet, the only time i am glad i had it was when a goalie punched me in the face with his blocker, in which case my face was spared thanks to the visor

I wear one of these visors as well. I think they offer a good balance of eyesight and protection.

I would hate to see the NHL implement a mandatory visor rule. Does anyone have the statistics on career ending eye injuries for players with/without visors? These players are making 500k+ a year, and should be able to make the choice themselves. Helmets prevent injuries that could lead to death- the absence of visors does not increase the risk of death (I believe). Also, fighters would rarely ditch the lids on non 'square off' fights. Many fights occur 'in the heat of the moment' when a lot of players don't have time to shed the lid.

An example is fighting in college (particularly club where fighting is more prevalent) hockey. Most of the players have played in junior leagues where cages weren't mandatory and fighting was allowed. Despite this, there are more fights that begin with cages on than without. Usually, the result is the player who gets the others' helmet off first wins. While a cage is more advantageous than a visor, the player with the visor still on has a distinct advantage.

Its definitely the player's choice. Absolutely ridiculous to even think they'd make visors mandatory.

Same thing was said about helmets. Same thing said about throat guards for goalies. Safety comes first, like or not.

I think it should be grandfathered in. With newer sticks coming out the pucks are coming off faster and harder and we all know how frequently sticks are breaking as well.

Have you ever played without a visor? Also, what is your argument for visors?

Yes, I've played at fairly competitive levels as well. The amount of injuries I've seen from random pucks far and away outweigh any negativity that a visor would bring. To me there just isn't a good reason not to wear one if you are actually smart that it is.

Yes, I've played at fairly competitive levels as well. The amount of injuries I've seen from random pucks far and away outweigh any negativity that a visor would bring. To me there just isn't a good reason not to wear one if you are actually smart that it is.

What about for fighters? Also, is the percentage of facial injuries as a result of 'random pucks' that are preventable by visors very high? Further, how many of these injuries are serious? I don't think these statistics would be enough to make me think visors should be mandatory. As I said before, the types of injuries helmets prevent are much more serious than the injuries visors prevent. Personally, I would rather have a shiner than a broken hand.

What about for fighters? Also, is the percentage of facial injuries as a result of 'random pucks' that are preventable by visors very high? Further, how many of these injuries are serious? I don't think these statistics would be enough to make me think visors should be mandatory. As I said before, the types of injuries helmets prevent are much more serious than the injuries visors prevent. Personally, I would rather have a shiner than a broken hand.

I'd have no problem with fighters taking off their helmets before a fight, but I'm not worried about their safety from fights as opposed to game play.

And the extent of those injuries are what the visors are there for. I'd much rather have a .1%(made up statistic is made up) less chance to lose sight in an eye, then just being a "real hockey player" and not wearing one.

You can choose when you want to fight, you can't choose if a stick or puck gets deflected. I'd much rather have a broken hand, then lose years of my career like Bryan Berard.

Edited by Carman

I'd have no problem with fighters taking off their helmets before a fight, but I'm not worried about their safety from fights as opposed to game play.

And the extent of those injuries are what the visors are there for. I'd much rather have a .1%(made up statistic is made up) less chance to lose sight in an eye, then just being a "real hockey player" and not wearing one.

You can choose when you want to fight, you can't choose if a stick or puck gets deflected. I'd much rather have a broken hand, then lose years of my career like Bryan Berard.

To me, this is a decision that the NHL players should be able to make. Making visors mandatory in the CHL, ECHL, AHL, etc is okay because the players are less likely to make a living (life long) from hockey. The NHL players are able to determine if wearing a visor is 'worth it' to their career. If you make 10x+ the average American per year while playing hockey, you have to ability to determine the 'cost' of wearing a visor. If Mike Modano thinks he is better without a visor, who are we to tell him he needs to wear one. He knows he is risking his eyesight, but he prefers not to wear one. When it comes to saving lives, I am all for mandatory measures; however, you cannot (and should not try to) protect everyone from everything.

The fighting thing worries me due to the increase in take-downs over the past few years. I'm against them in general, but that's another argument altogether.

Well, obviously Crosby wasn't wearing a visor in his early days and look what it did to his face!!! :scared:It should be a warning to the others.:huh:

His face is ugly regardless. He just has that kind of whiny face that some people have.

If you're gonna fight, you take the risk of getting hurt. Its the player's choice. It should be the player's choice whether to wear a shield or not.

"Hockey players are idiots," said Cornell-educated Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray. "I didn't put a visor on until I took a puck in the eye and scratched my cornea. You don't think you need stuff, and then you add on as you hurt yourself. It's plain stupid."

http://www.freep.com/article/20110326/SPORTS18/103260386/1053/SPORTS05/Ticker-Red-Wings-Mike-Modano-among-NHLers-who-won-t-change

:ph34r:

:ph34r:

To want extra equipment for yourself is fine, but to insinuate that players not wanting visors or other equipment are idiots is disrespectful IMO. If a hockey player added equipment for every injury they received, they'd be driving around in tanks on the ice.

Hockey is a dangerous sport- you will get hurt.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

I definitely understand. The day I could ditch my cage, I did. The day I could ditch my visor, I did that too. It just feels better to me.

This is kind of like my neighbor kid getting his girlfriend pregnant despite my neighbor's extensive training/educating/provisioning the kid with birth control options throughout high school. The kid's excuse was that "condoms don't feel right." Well, how the heck does supporting a child and baby-mama feel at the age of eighteen?!

If visors don't feel quite so good, how do they rate with major maxilo-facial reconstructive surgery and an eye prosthesis?

Edited by donfishmaster

This is kind of like my neighbor kid getting his girlfriend pregnant despite my neighbor's extensive training/educating/provisioning the kid with birth control options throughout high school. The kid's excuse was that "condoms don't feel right." Well, how the heck does supporting a child and baby-mama feel at the age of eighteen?!

If visors don't feel quite so good, how do they rate with major maxilo-facial reconstructive surgery and an eye prosthesis?

Seriously?

This is life, we all take risks that we are comfortable with. Some choose to drink, some choose to smoke, some choose to eat unhealthy, and some choose not to wear a visor when playing hockey. They are all controllable, but not wearing a visor is the least likely to kill you. Should we now compare all of your life decisions to that of your neighbor's child?

Why should we be telling hockey plays what they can and cannot choose to wear on their helmet? I don't think any of them are ignorant to the possible injuries of not wearing a visor. A lot of facial injuries occur to players with visors, but the change to cages would probably seem ridiculous to most.

My decision was simple. As soon as we hard our son 2 1/2 years ago I decided that I would rather be able to look at my kid with both eyes instead of 1. It took me maybe 5 games to get used to. Teeth can be fixed...eyes..well you only get 2 of them.