• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

do you guys expect the league will put in a rule in the future saying players must wear a visor?

may sound ridiculous now, but just think when they were talking about making helmets mandatory. that seemed to work out alright.

It would have to be approved by the NHLPA as well.

Me thinks it'll stay optional instead of being mandatory.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Visors can cause accidents too, and are not that uncommon. The edge of the visor can be pushed card against a players face, thus breaking their nose for example. As well, pucks and sticks can easily go under a visor because its those angles anyways that a player is most vulnerable against because its hard to see coming and is generally coming from an awkward position.

Weird concept i know....that a player usually gets out of the way when they can see a puck coming towards their face....

And i already know what you are going to say about the risk of quickly deflected pucks and sticks and how in large, this is the bigger picture....

And even though that is debatable, i would simply like to say that its just the players choice - no one should take one bit of concern about it. If there is a risk either way - then it should be up to the player to decide what is best for him. Much like why i think seat belt laws are bulls***.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#23 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:02 PM

i have an oakley visor and it works pretty well, it only blocks a tiny bit of my peripheral vision, i have had it for 3 years and it isn't scratched up yet, the only time i am glad i had it was when a goalie punched me in the face with his blocker, in which case my face was spared thanks to the visor

How much did you drop for your Oakley visor?
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

It would have to be approved by the NHLPA as well.

Me thinks it'll stay optional instead of being mandatory.

Its definitely the player's choice. Absolutely ridiculous to even think they'd make visors mandatory.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

Its definitely the player's choice. Absolutely ridiculous to even think they'd make visors mandatory.

Im sure much of the same talk was said when they were talking about helmets being mandatory, but that worked out pretty well.

I think that the change could help a lot though. The NHL is always talking about how to protect their players and this could be a pretty valid way to help that. Sure its not every day that an injury happens because of a lack of a visor, but what if a lidstrom type player lost an eye in his prime and could no longer play? What would you say then? Sure it would take some getting used to but if all the players had to do it, they would all share that disadvantage.

The NHL should do some hardcore research before they impose any such rule, but its definitely not something you can just ignore because of how it was done in the past.

This is all coming from a guy who plays with no cage or visor. Ya im a hypocrite i know.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#26 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

Im sure much of the same talk was said when they were talking about helmets being mandatory, but that worked out pretty well.

I think that the change could help a lot though. The NHL is always talking about how to protect their players and this could be a pretty valid way to help that. Sure its not every day that an injury happens because of a lack of a visor, but what if a lidstrom type player lost an eye in his prime and could no longer play? What would you say then? Sure it would take some getting used to but if all the players had to do it, they would all share that disadvantage.

The NHL should do some hardcore research before they impose any such rule, but its definitely not something you can just ignore because of how it was done in the past.

This is all coming from a guy who plays with no cage or visor. Ya im a hypocrite i know.

The big problem I see is like what happened last night. Bryan Bickell and David Backes (Both wear visors) decided to square off. Problem is they didn't bother to drop the shields before throwing. It hurts like a ***** when you punch a visor, believe me. You don't usually feel it right away, but when your adrenaline lowers, you feel it after the fight. Easy way to shorten your season by breaking your hand on a visor. I know a while back Jared Boll broke his hand in a fight where he punched a visor. Big issue in my mind. Does it protect guys eyes? Sure. Does it have its negatives? You bet. Ask Brian Burke what he thinks about mandatory visors in the NHL.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#27 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

then just take it off then when you square up like most people do. also punching the side of a helmet hurts equally bad and nobody has a problem with that.

edit: im not trying to start a war, and im sure we could go back and forth all day like a couple of stubborn asses lol. im just sayin, theres two sides to every story.

Edited by Din758, 19 October 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

then just take it off then when you square up like most people do. also punching the side of a helmet hurts equally bad and nobody has a problem with that.

edit: im not trying to start a war, and im sure we could go back and forth all day like a couple of stubborn asses lol. im just sayin, theres two sides to every story.

That's why I think there should be an additional minor for fighting with a visor on. I realize punching the side of a helmet hurts as well. I know you're not trying to start anything, and I'm not either. I just think it should be left to each individual player to decide whether he wants to wear a visor or not.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

I don't think it is as commonplace as a lot believe. Most players simple leave the visor on because it would take too much time to remove just the visor. If they remove the entire helmet they would be afraid of a K.O. punch that sends them to the ice, killing someone one day when he splits his skull open... or in the least, ruining a lucrative career.

But let me just say this. If there is no instigator penalty distributed with a fighting major then there should be some rule that has both fighters take their helmets off. Two men should be willing to inherit the risks of fighting... including crashing to the ice.
If fighting is going to be a part of the game (like it should be), than fighting should be governed properly like everything else.

Edited by BlakKy, 19 October 2010 - 01:27 PM.

#30 robat

robat

PAVELTECHNO

• Bronze Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

I wear a cage because I'd rather not get hit in the face with a high stick by some moron in my adult league or intramurals. It's not worth it after wearing a cage my whole life.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

So were goalie helmets....

#32 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

research has been done, and ur less likely to get a cuncussion if u dont wear a a cage or visor.

#33 Kronthewall55

Kronthewall55

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

although i support the right to choose what you wear either way, I have to say a visor or cage is even more needed in amateur leagues. The idiots who call them selves "hockey players" in some beer leagues and drop ins ive encountered make the worst decisions with the stick or puck that i have ever seen. The pros at least at this time still have a little bit better sense of respect and awareness when it comes to hockey that allows them to wear less protection.

#34 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:23 PM

although i support the right to choose what you wear either way, I have to say a visor or cage is even more needed in amateur leagues. The idiots who call them selves "hockey players" in some beer leagues and drop ins ive encountered make the worst decisions with the stick or puck that i have ever seen. The pros at least at this time still have a little bit better sense of respect and awareness when it comes to hockey that allows them to wear less protection.

Orr, Neal, Pronger, Lemieux, McSorely, Cammaleri (after the slash at the throat) all these guys have the utmost respect for their peers right?

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:38 PM

Orr, Neal, Pronger, Lemieux, McSorely, Cammaleri (after the slash at the throat) all these guys have the utmost respect for their peers right?

Good point. I think if a guy is willing to take the risk, that's up to them whether to wear a shield or not. Like I've said, its about half and half between players right now.

Good point. I think if a guy is willing to take the risk, that's up to them whether to wear a shield or not. Like I've said, its about half and half between players right now.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

i have an oakley visor and it works pretty well, it only blocks a tiny bit of my peripheral vision, i have had it for 3 years and it isn't scratched up yet, the only time i am glad i had it was when a goalie punched me in the face with his blocker, in which case my face was spared thanks to the visor

I wear one of these visors as well. I think they offer a good balance of eyesight and protection.

I would hate to see the NHL implement a mandatory visor rule. Does anyone have the statistics on career ending eye injuries for players with/without visors? These players are making 500k+ a year, and should be able to make the choice themselves. Helmets prevent injuries that could lead to death- the absence of visors does not increase the risk of death (I believe). Also, fighters would rarely ditch the lids on non 'square off' fights. Many fights occur 'in the heat of the moment' when a lot of players don't have time to shed the lid.

An example is fighting in college (particularly club where fighting is more prevalent) hockey. Most of the players have played in junior leagues where cages weren't mandatory and fighting was allowed. Despite this, there are more fights that begin with cages on than without. Usually, the result is the player who gets the others' helmet off first wins. While a cage is more advantageous than a visor, the player with the visor still on has a distinct advantage.

#37 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

All players should wear visors in my opinion. If you complain about not seeing the ice, then you aren't a good enough player to be worried about that anyways.

#38 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

research has been done, and ur less likely to get a cuncussion if u dont wear a a cage or visor.

can you cite that statement?

#39 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Same thing was said about helmets. Same thing said about throat guards for goalies. Safety comes first, like or not.

I think it should be grandfathered in. With newer sticks coming out the pucks are coming off faster and harder and we all know how frequently sticks are breaking as well.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#40 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

All players should wear visors in my opinion. If you complain about not seeing the ice, then you aren't a good enough player to be worried about that anyways.

Have you ever played without a visor? Also, what is your argument for visors?