• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockeygods

Rypien suspended 6 games

Rate this topic

So just what could a fan say to Rypien that he wouldn't have already heard from Sean Avery a zillion times before? Plenty of NHLers are very brutal with the words on ice trying to get under the other guy's skin.

dude, sticks and stones. I highly doubt this guy said something more terrible than what players say to eachother every game.

It's the fans job to irritate the opposing player. What would you think if after taunting a goalie by chanting his name he went ballistic? What is the difference? Words are words.

a fan pays money to see sports entertainment. they have no job. there is no 12th man in football or 7th man in hockey. fans can think they effect players, but 99% of the time they don't. and in that 1% they do, the effect is pretty minimal.

and i wouldn't really say rypien went ballistic either. he grabbed the dude, probably told him to stfu, and went on to the locker room. what rypien did was obviously a bad choice. but in my mind it was pretty harmless and hopefully will be quickly forgotten.

a fan pays money to see sports entertainment. they have no job. there is no 12th man in football or 7th man in hockey. fans can think they effect players, but 99% of the time they don't. and in that 1% they do, the effect is pretty minimal.

and i wouldn't really say rypien went ballistic either. he grabbed the dude, probably told him to stfu, and went on to the locker room. what rypien did was obviously a bad choice. but in my mind it was pretty harmless and hopefully will be quickly forgotten.

oh yeah, looks like all he wanted to do was tell him to STFU. For all we know this guy is 13 years old. Had he not been pulled away, I think that fan was about to be in the hallway. It doesn't matter if punches were thrown or not, that was assaulting a fan for doing what 99.9% of fans sitting in those same seats do every game to the opposing team.

I'm not asking for his head, much like a lot of people out there. I think a fair punishment would be 5 games, some anger management, and possibly a fine. Oh and a PERSONAL apology to the fan.

And as he has had run-ins in the past with the canucks team they need to ask themselves if he is a ticking time bomb.

i think something over the line must have been said. these players deal with tons of belligerent fans every night. so i find it hard to believe the altercation was unprovoked. additionally, malhotra seems to have heard it too as he gestures that the fans should be tossed. bieksa seems very peeved and even smacks his stick on the glass at the folks 10 or 20 seconds later. it doesn't necessarily justify what rypien did, but i think lots of people are trying to play the poor innocent helpless fan card. and 99 times out of a 100, then fan gets whats comin to them.

sticks and stones - the fact of the matter is, the fan did not physically engage him and it was both unprofessional and low-class for him to physically engage the fan... as I said, it paints a black eye on the league, in the sense, that it brings negative attention to the league - I never said it was a death blow... luckily, it was a VERY minor altercation, but Rypien NEEDS to be punished and almost to some extent, made an example of... I don't care HOW disrespectful, disgraceful or flat our appalling the comments the fan made were - sticks and stones. period.

Guest Shoreline

The 7th and 12th man likely comes from the noise the home crowd makes. In football it makes a very noticeable difference when quarterbacks are trying to call to a precise snap count or audible and fans are so loud they screw it up. It's the cause of countless timeouts, false starts, etc., and quite common, especially come playoff time. In hockey, I'm not quite sure. Maybe interfering with on the fly changes? I haven't seen nearly as much impact in this league. And that's beyond the possibility that a fan pisses off a player by touching him or saying something offensive.

Edited by Shoreline

Darren Dreger's predicting 8-10. Also seen comments in regards to the Tortorella 1 game suspension in the playoffs for tossing a water bottle at a fan saying that from a suspension standpoint 1 playoff game=5 regular season. Rypien gets at least 10 games IMO.

and he'd deserve every minute of it... I think 5 would suffice, but I have NO problem with the league really dropping the hammer on this one as this is something that can not be tolerated in any way, shape or form.

Edited by stevkrause

It's not just the physical activity (which was WAY out of line) but the NHL can't resurrect its image if it's players start manhandling fans. Just on that alone Rypien should get more than 5 games. Factor in it was a teenager, that could factor in a few games, too I would think. Just a stupid, stupid move on Rypien's part.

Exactly. Minimum of 5 games I'd bet.

Guest Shoreline

I don't know of many few game suspensions that start off with an indefinite suspension so looks like Rypien is going to have an example made of him.

oh yeah, looks like all he wanted to do was tell him to STFU. For all we know this guy is 13 years old. Had he not been pulled away, I think that fan was about to be in the hallway. It doesn't matter if punches were thrown or not, that was assaulting a fan for doing what 99.9% of fans sitting in those same seats do every game to the opposing team.

i guess my biggest thing is i interpret the physical part of it much different. he was in physical contact for maybe 1-2 seconds at most. in that time he grabbed the person and it appears nothing more. since when is that assaulting someone? maybe in our hyper-litigious modern society where we sue everyone we can, but for most people, that is not assault, that will not get you arrested, that won't get you in trouble. he didn't punch, kick, spit, head-butt or anything else. additionally, he appears to have walked away entirely on his own. if you watch the video closely you can see a trainer in a jogging suit and a coach in a real suit are the first 2 back to the tunnel. but if you watch real closely, you can see that he is already walking away before either of them had time to intervene.

so in my mind i see the altercation as a very quick, very harmless event. he used his own restraint to walk away. unfortunately it was 1-2 seconds too late. i am not saying he shouldn't be suspended. the incident needs to serve as a reminder for players and coaches to leave the fans alone. i just don't think its a very big deal.

I don't know of many few game suspensions that start off with an indefinite suspension so looks like Rypien is going to have an example made of him.

i think a lot of that may stem from the fact that the canucks play tonight. and they certainly dont want him playing because it took them an extra day to make their decision. with these crowd incidents being more rare, i am sure they want to take it a little more slowly to make sure they get a proper length.

it may very well be a longer suspension, i just wouldn't read too much into the indefinite ruling today.

There has been alot of loose play this season, and alot of suspensions. They need to send a wake up call, anything less than the rest of the season and playoffs is too light.

You absolutely CAN NOT put your hands on a fan. period. He's lucky to be alive, that kids father should have stabbed him or something, he would have been justified.

The worst part is, the FANS got ejected, granted it was a blow out, but the league needs to be offering them season tix, or expect a lawsuit, probly both.

This also makes the case for retro fitting glass to that area of the walkway in Minn., and anywhere else that needs it. Atleast on the AWAY side.

Anyway, try that in Detroit, Rypien :sly:

My guess is anywhere between what I would like to see: 8-15 games, and between what i think the league will do: 1-80 games. It's really a toss up at this point.

I'd like to see Ryp go against that dudes big friend, now that would be a fight.

I think 10 games is a nice round number and definitely sends a message. You CANNOT touch the fans no matter what they do, he needs to be punished harshly for this.

Ok, thanks guys, i was most upset about the report they were ejected.

I'm still for the suspension, season and playoffs. They need to fit all arenas with glass covering atleast the opposing team, for both player and fan safety, those fans look really close.

Interesting how it's almost like homerism. I'd give Rypien 3 games, you just can't let your emotions take control over your judgement. If he hurt someone then the suspension gets doubled, but couple 3 games with a 5k fine and I'd be happy.

Oh, its blatant homerism at its finest. The first link is to the Canucks home feed, the second is the Wild's home feed. The Canucks announcers tried to put it on the fan, the Wild's announcers called it like it was. Every homer fans love to call it so their fans will agree with them. Its like Fox News pandering to the right.

Guest Shoreline
i think a lot of that may stem from the fact that the canucks play tonight. and they certainly dont want him playing because it took them an extra day to make their decision. with these crowd incidents being more rare, i am sure they want to take it a little more slowly to make sure they get a proper length.

it may very well be a longer suspension, i just wouldn't read too much into the indefinite ruling today.

mmh, yeah you're right.

Ok, thanks guys, i was most upset about the report they were ejected.

I'm still for the suspension, season and playoffs. They need to fit all arenas with glass covering atleast the opposing team, for both player and fan safety, those fans look really close.

i think you're overreacting. think back to the milbury shoe incident. no suspensions over 10 games. and milbury beat a fan with his shoe!

Guest mindfly

Indefinitely...like Avery after the "sloppy seconds" comment's...will it only be based on the fan altercation or also the suckerpunch long after the refs went it and called off the fight?