• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockeygods

Rypien suspended 6 games

Rate this topic

i think you're overreacting. think back to the milbury shoe incident. no suspensions over 10 games. and milbury beat a fan with his shoe!

New day and age. Remember last year when Torts yelled at a fan during the playoffs? He got a game for that, and it was during the playoffs. I still think between 8-15 games is justice enough, because you have to factor in his other actions during the game and the fact he hasn't come out and APOLOGIZED yet!

Agreed.

And what bugs me is that there's almost a 100% guarantee that the family will file a lawsuit against Rypien, the Vancouver Canucks, the Minnesota Wild, the Excel Energy Center, the NHL, etc, etc <_<

If you got attacked by a player at a game you wouldn't try to get anything? I'd try to get season tickets for life and some memorabilia for sure!

Agreed.

And what bugs me is that there's almost a 100% guarantee that the family will file a lawsuit against Rypien, the Vancouver Canucks, the Minnesota Wild, the Excel Energy Center, the NHL, etc, etc <_<

Even the comment earlier in the thread calling for a full season, is a horrible over-reaction... as I said earlier, I think 5 games and a hefty fine (maybe upwards of 100k) from a player making league min (550k) would suffice and send a pretty good message, but I wouldn't scoff at a suspension around the upwards of 25 games, but that should be the MAX for the actions of this incident...

Furthermore, there was no damage, but this could have been a million times worse and it was the pure implications of the actions that even warrant a suspension, but any legal action would be a downright joke... and hopefully any judge worth a crap will laugh that lawsuit right out of the court and HOPEFULLY even scold and reprimand them for filing it, if it goes that far...

No!!!!!

Unlike many Americans I'm not like that.

+

The litigious nature of our society today is disgusting...

Edited by stevkrause

what grounds could he sue on? NOTHING HAPPENED TO THE FAN!

Spitting on someone is grounds for assault, so I guess grabbing a fan is also assault.

No!!!!!

Unlike many Americans I'm not like that.

So you wouldn't have taken the front row seats that they were offered as well? Wow, you are holier than thou.

Spitting on someone is grounds for assault, so I guess grabbing a fan is also assault.

So you wouldn't have taken the front row seats that they were offered as well? Wow, you are holier than thou.

Taking something offered from the team as a gesture is not the same as actively seeking it...

5 games i think would be a little to much for just pushing some fan. Nobody was injured. Personally It would be great if a player got mad enough to push me like that lol Ofcourse I say 5 games is too much but at the same time I dont know if he has had suspensions before or if this is his first no no

Disagree. He physically assaulted a fan. No excuse unless he can claim self defense.

Taking something offered from the team as a gesture is not the same as actively seeking it...

Nothing wrong with contacting people and letting them know that you are unsatisfied and that the incident will probably prevent you from spending any more money on their product. I wouldn't wait around for an offer. Why not be proactive?

Edited by Broken 16

God... so many losers on this board it's hilarious. What happened to the good old days when you could beat someone's ass who deserved it and go about your business?

Huh? Guess what? This isn't old time hockey and the fan did nothing to Rypien. Your video gives no rise to the argument that this particular fan deserved what Rypien did to him. He didn't grab at Rypien's equipment or threw a punch at him. He was CLAPPING. Since when is clapping considered an action that deserves a 'professional' (and I use the term loosely) hockey player putting his hands on someone?

Exactly. I wouldn't sue for tickets or crap like that, but when i got a call from them apologizing asking what they could do, I'd ask if we could get some tickets and maybe a signed jersey and then let them take it from there.

Exactly. I wouldn't sue for tickets or crap like that, but when i got a call from them apologizing asking what they could do, I'd ask if we could get some tickets and maybe a signed jersey and then let them take it from there.

I'd sue to be a stick boy for the season. :)

I can pretty much guarantee with absolute certainty that if this really happened to you or your teenage son, you'd be singing a different tune.

to my son..... yes a very diff story. To me no it would be great. its not like the guy was hurt from that little contact.

the fan doesn't deserve s***. no tickets, no jerseys, no apology. he got pushed/grabbed for 1 second of his life. i can only imagine the long term emotional distress he will endure! what a bunch of ******* vaginas you guys are.

once cal clutterbuck told me to f*** off and made an obscene gesture towards me when skating off the ice while in the ahl. what did i do? i came back at him even harder the next period. no need to whine about how mean he was. i was ribbing him because it was fun and i deserved anything he did in retaliation.

the fan doesn't deserve s***. no tickets, no jerseys, no apology. he got pushed/grabbed for 1 second of his life. i can only imagine the long term emotional distress he will endure! what a bunch of ******* vaginas you guys are.

once cal clutterbuck told me to f*** off and made an obscene gesture towards me when skating off the ice while in the ahl. what did i do? i came back at him even harder the next period. no need to whine about how mean he was. i was ribbing him because it was fun and i deserved anything he did in retaliation.

There's a huge gap between getting flipped off and getting grabbed and shaken for a few seconds. Hockey players are employees. It's not good business if employees are assaulting customers. This isn't rec league hockey. Lol.

i think something over the line must have been said. these players deal with tons of belligerent fans every night. so i find it hard to believe the altercation was unprovoked. additionally, malhotra seems to have heard it too as he gestures that the fans should be tossed. bieksa seems very peeved and even smacks his stick on the glass at the folks 10 or 20 seconds later. it doesn't necessarily justify what rypien did, but i think lots of people are trying to play the poor innocent helpless fan card. and 99 times out of a 100, then fan gets whats comin to them.

doesnt matter, these guys are paid professionals, and he severely disrespected his own team by doing that. heckling has been part of sports since it started. the canucks got spanked and couldnt take it, poor sportsmanship all around by the whole team i say.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The 5 game floor is perfectly acceptable in this case. I think 10 games would be the best. You cannot put your hands on the fans no matter what happens.

From TSN:

Vancouver Canucks forward Rick Rypien has been suspended indefinitely pending a hearing with the league for his altercation with a fan during the Canucks game against the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman should be directly involved in the process because the incident involved a fan.

It appears as though Rypien's hearing will take place on Friday and since it is an in-person hearing, the suspension will be at least five games in length. Rypien will not be in the lineup Wednesday night as the Canucks face the Minnesota Wild on TSN.

Exactly. Its not the act of shoving or how much damage was done to the fan. Its the fact that a player reached into the stands with intent to cause harm. Under no circumstances should a player even think about touching a fan.

How do you know there was intent to cause harm?

You absolutely CAN NOT put your hands on a fan. period. He's lucky to be alive, that kids father should have stabbed him or something, he would have been justified.

Are you serious? First I doubt highly the person is a kid. If I had to guess he is in his 20's and that is old enough to vote, die in the military and drink. As for the father and stabbing.... think about that statement for a second.

Ok, thanks guys, i was most upset about the report they were ejected.

I'm still for the suspension, season and playoffs. They need to fit all arenas with glass covering at least the opposing team, for both player and fan safety, those fans look really close.

Again Rypien is an idiot for what he did but there is no chance in hell it will even come remotely close to a season let alone the season and playoffs. If by some miracle it does my mind will be simply blown to pieces by the stupidity of the NHL.

i think you're overreacting. think back to the milbury shoe incident. no suspensions over 10 games. and milbury beat a fan with his shoe!

Lol! Cause it's funny, the shoe thing not your statement. haha

Edited by Nhurdi