• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#101 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Again, he wasn't a kid and now he's suing. If Rypien wasn't a professional hockey player this would not be happening.

Legally he is not a kid but I'm old and everyone is a kid to me.:lol:
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#102 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

I stand corrected. I don't agree with it, but it is the law I suppose. Had Rypien dragged the kid down and kicked him with his skate, would be an assault to me. But I guess Rypien is facing as minor of an assault charge as possible.

We ALL have different interps of the law. Personally, going 5mph or 5KPH over the speed limit isn't speeding in MY eyes, but for the law it is. Let's just hope that the fan doesn't sue Rypien in civil court, that's where he can get emotional distress and other legalities against him and the team(both) and the arena.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#103 redwingmachine

redwingmachine

3rd Line Checker

• Gold Booster
  • 380 posts

It's all fun and games talking s*** to a hockey player...until there is no glass!! :lol:

#104 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

It's all fun and games talking s*** to a hockey player...until there is no glass!! :lol:

LOL! Reminds me of the Duncan Keith/fan incident, at least Keith had a great sense of humor.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#105 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

According to a tweet by Michael Russo (Minneapolis Star-Tribune), it wasn't a kid or even a teen:

@russostrib

yeah, that confirms this guy is a douchebag. he is a grown man and instantly resorts to lawyers. what a fricking coward. regardless of what the law says, dude was not harmed. the law needs to change apparently.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#106 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

We ALL have different interps of the law. Personally, going 5mph or 5KPH over the speed limit isn't speeding in MY eyes, but for the law it is. Let's just hope that the fan doesn't sue Rypien in civil court, that's where he can get emotional distress and other legalities against him and the team(both) and the arena.

I'm with ya on that. Its just laughable to sue someone for grabbing your shirt in MY eyes.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#107 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

Yes grabbing someone that doesnt want to be grabbed is assault in almost(more than likely) every country in the US. How is that so unbelievable?

:blink:
esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#108 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

I suspect the league will give them some sort of compensatory package, likely tickets to some upcoming high-profile game.

Why would they want that when instead they'll take both franchises, and the league to court, and attempt to sue for millions?

When I saw the hilights last night - all I could think of is how many lawyers in the greater Twin Cities began salivating at the thought of representing this father/son pair of brothers.

Edited by F.Michael, 20 October 2010 - 05:06 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#109 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

yeah, that confirms this guy is a douchebag. he is a grown man and instantly resorts to lawyers. what a fricking coward. regardless of what the law says, dude was not harmed. the law needs to change apparently.

Okay, we do agree on this. I still think Rypien assaulted him, no matter which way you cut it, in the eyes of the law he was assaulted. And I still think Rypien should be dealt with accordingly.

BUT, this guy, whom I thought was a teenager, has lost some points in my book. Dude, you've got an awesome story, you weren't hurt, take the free tickets I am sure you were offered and run. Howf****** typical we are, the FIRST thing we do is run to the laywers to sue for millions. I hope if a case is brought up it gets thrown out, no grounds.

#110 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Okay, we do agree on this. I still think Rypien assaulted him, no matter which way you cut it, in the eyes of the law he was assaulted. And I still think Rypien should be dealt with accordingly.

BUT, this guy, whom I thought was a teenager, has lost some points in my book. Dude, you've got an awesome story, you weren't hurt, take the free tickets I am sure you were offered and run. Howf****** typical we are, the FIRST thing we do is run to the laywers to sue for millions. I hope if a case is brought up it gets thrown out, no grounds.

How many people get to say they went face to face with an NHL Tough Guy? I'd take the tickets and free food! :thumbup:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#111 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

yeah, we are probably 95% in agreement. i have no problem with a suspension as long as its reasonable. my only complaint with all this is they are making way too big of a deal. if what rypien did was 'assault' then the law needs to change. what rypien did was wrong; however it was pretty inconsequential and trivial.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#112 NvrFrgtRussian5

NvrFrgtRussian5

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

i have a feeling this guy is going to turn out to be a class A idiot. He will claim to be such a loyal hockey fan only to turn around and attempt to sue his own Wild, the NHL, Canucks and Rypien.

While a TRUE hockey fan would expect a round of drinks from his buds while talking about how awesome it was.

#113 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

i have a feeling this guy is going to turn out to be a class A idiot. He will claim to be such a loyal hockey fan only to turn around and attempt to sue his own Wild, the NHL, Canucks and Rypien.

While a TRUE hockey fan would expect a round of drinks from his buds while talking about how awesome it was.

Absolutely 100% agreed.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#114 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

Nothing quite like taking advantage of our legal system.

Posted Image

#115 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

I guess we should be thankful the fan wasn't black, otherwise Rypien would be looking at a hate crime and jail time..

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#116 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

Have to agree with some of the comments, I think it's very cheesy for "the victim" to try and immediately cash in on this. Yes it was inappropriate, but nothing came of it, he should laugh it off.

#117 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

I guess we should be thankful the fan wasn't black, otherwise Rypien would be looking at a hate crime and jail time..

Yup - and everyones favorite activists Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton would be having a field day with this.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#118 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:33 PM

Yup - and everyones favorite activists Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton would be having a field day with this.

A HUGE bullet dodged, indeed.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#119 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hate crimes go from fifth degree down to at least 3rd degree and a felony, yikes! Maybe it was afterall, maybe Rypien attacked him because he was American? Lol.

Engquist said he didn't receive an apology from the league, Rypien or the Canucks. He said he hasn't heard anything from the Wild.

That's messed up.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#120 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hate crimes go from fifth degree down to at least 3rd degree and a felony, yikes! Maybe it was afterall, maybe Rypien attacked him because he was American? Lol.

That's messed up.

Don't give the guy any ideas :P

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien