• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

As hockey is religion in canada i think canada deserves to have more nhl teams there, would be good for the nhl and the whole world to be honest...

You're dead on when it comes to this topic...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

They've gotten rid of all their superstars the past few years

Savard Kovalchuk Heatley and now they have.....
Posted Image

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Savard Kovalchuk Heatley and now they have.....

Kane, Bogosian, Little, Slater, Oduya, Enstrom...

am I the only one here that thinks they have a good, exciting, young team?!?

Edited by stevkrause, 21 October 2010 - 03:43 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Kane, Bogosian, Little, Slater, Oduya, Enstrom...

am I the only one here that thinks they have a good, exciting, young team?!?

I do, but they lack the superstar power that draws crowds. Kane is the closest thing to being a superstar and he's still a few years away from being that.
Posted Image

#25 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

You're dead on when it comes to this topic...

I 100% agree with you and mindfly on this, I think those teams would thrive today in the Canadian locations. Not to mention the economics behind it, not only are tickets not selling in current locations, there not selling at about a fraction of the price they'd sell for in the canadian market (which isn't soo lousy these days)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#26 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:06 PM

As I die hard Thrashers fan, I think it simply comes down to winning.

How great would the Wings attendance be if they played like the Thrashers have since their existence?

They definitely support winning hockey:

http://http://www.yo...=1&hl=en_US

http://www.youtube.c...=1&hl=en_US

Everyone remember how terrible Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and Washington, etc., etc. attendances were?

This team has traded away Heatley, Hossa, Savard, and Kovalchuk. How do you think their attendance would be?

Edited by Chelios57, 21 October 2010 - 04:11 PM.

Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#27 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

LOL - was thinking of starting this very same topic last night while I watched the Sabres/Thrashers game (nothing else on worth watching).

Pretty sad turnout; I immediately noticed the sparse crowd when the camera angles changed...And to think the league doesn't want Balsillie/Hamilton to have a team, and this is Atlanta's 2nd chance <_<

How great would the Wings attendance be if they played like the Thrashers have since their existence?

http://http://www.youtube.com/v/H2mC_oPbXVs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

http://www.youtube.com/v/57dz_f2WW0Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

Everyone remember how terrible Chicago, and Pittsburgh, and Washington, etc., etc. attendances were?

This team has traded away Heatley, Hossa, Savard, and Kovalchuk. How do you think their attendance would be?

The problem is - how many players want to stay there?

Look at the Maple Leafs; a model franchise in putting a suspect product on the ice, and yet they're sold-out for years to come.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#28 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

Wow, that's just brutal.. We get more fans at our jr hockey games
IPB Image

#29 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:18 PM

Atlanta has never been a good sports town for attendance and support, period.

Not fair to single out hockey on this.

Agreed, plus it's just not that big a city! I don't know why, but I always considered it to be one of the major metropolitan areas of the South, but as of 2009, Atlanta is the 33rd largest city in the U.S. El Paso, which is the most random-ass place I can think of, is #22, for pete's sake. For that matter, Seattle, which might actually have some hockey fans in the vicinity, is in 23rd place (10 spots ahead of ATL) and has 100k more people than Atlanta, yet we keep on putting teams in the South for the sake of some kind of Manifest Hockey Destiny. Ridiculous.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Atlanta has never been a good sports town for attendance and support, period.

Not fair to single out hockey on this.

If I remember correctly, the poverty rate in Atlanta is above national average. Their financial situation is similar to Detroit's.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:36 PM

That's just sad.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

How about moving Columbus to Yellowknife or Juneau? I'm in Athens (OH) and I see more LA Kings jerseys than CBJ. Strangely enough, the Kings' fans are very hockey-wise around here and I have no idea where they all came from.

kings jerseys in one town in ohio

surely nobody cares about the blue jackets then

#33 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

How about moving Columbus to Yellowknife or Juneau? I'm in Athens (OH) and I see more LA Kings jerseys than CBJ. Strangely enough, the Kings' fans are very hockey-wise around here and I have no idea where they all came from.

Out of all the teams in the league... why LA I wonder...

Agreed, plus it's just not that big a city! I don't know why, but I always considered it to be one of the major metropolitan areas of the South, but as of 2009, Atlanta is the 33rd largest city in the U.S. El Paso, which is the most random-ass place I can think of, is #22, for pete's sake. For that matter, Seattle, which might actually have some hockey fans in the vicinity, is in 23rd place (10 spots ahead of ATL) and has 100k more people than Atlanta, yet we keep on putting teams in the South for the sake of some kind of Manifest Hockey Destiny. Ridiculous.

Seattle could build a nice local thing with Vancouver. I really don't get why there isn't a team there.

Oh and the city size thing, check metropolitan areas, Atlanta is kinda big :P

#34 grwingfan

grwingfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Grand Rapids would support a NHL franchise better than Atlanta, Phoenix or Miami.

#35 SuperNovaXll

SuperNovaXll

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

Move Atlanta to Quebec, Phoenix to Winnipeg, Panthers to Hamilton... =)

I couldnt agree more :thumbup:
Long Island Wings Fan since 1991

#36 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

http://http://www.youtube.com/v/H2mC_oPbXVs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

http://www.youtube.com/v/57dz_f2WW0Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US

That's a terrible buisness plan for a sports team, particularly one with a salary cap. You might as well just say that at the very best Atlanta's viability will be a vomit-inducing rollercoaster ride. Ditto with any of these bandwagon-heavy teams, honestly.

#37 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:01 PM

Florida drew a little over 11,000 to tonight's game against Dallas..As for Detroit, a town once known for sellout streaks drew 18,399 tonight... :(

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#38 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#39 wingfanatic4alltime

wingfanatic4alltime

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Florida drew a little over 11,000 to tonight's game against Dallas..As for Detroit, a town once known for sellout streaks drew 18,399 tonight... :(

Still though 18,000 people in the seats is a hell of a lot better then 8,000 to 11,000 people. Guys hockey is not popular at all in the south which our faboulus commissioner thought could be a hockey hotbed. Hockey has failed in the south, i love hockey as much as all of you guys but im a realist hockey in some markets is lucky to be the 3rd sport after football and baseball. The league needs to contract or at least move these southern teams to canada or give Seattle a shot.
IN KENNY WE TRUST!!

#40 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

Still though 18,000 people in the seats is a hell of a lot better then 8,000 to 11,000 people. Guys hockey is not popular at all in the south which our faboulus commissioner thought could be a hockey hotbed. Hockey has failed in the south, i love hockey as much as all of you guys but im a realist hockey in some markets is lucky to be the 3rd sport after football and baseball. The league needs to contract or at least move these southern teams to canada or give Seattle a shot.

Atlanta and Phoenix need to relocate first, in my opinion. Atlanta couldn't sell out even with Kovalchuk on the team. Phoenix has an up and coming squad, and still can't draw 10,000. Move Atlanta to Quebec City, and move Phoenix back to Winnipeg. Same number of teams in each conference. Divisions might have to be tweaked a bit. Hockey does not belong in cities like Atlanta, Phoenix, and Miami (Sunrise). The attendance numbers prove it. Even with competing teams in Phoenix, they have a laughable fan base. Same goes for Atlanta. Up and coming, young team, and will be lucky get 50% of the arena full. Cities like Winnipeg and Quebec are STARVING for an NHL franchise. Time to give it up, Bettman&company.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien