• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:51 PM

Grand Rapids would support a NHL franchise better than Atlanta, Phoenix or Miami.

Official numbers out of Phoenix tonight. 4-2 Coyotes get the win. Attendance at the Jobing.com Arena: 6,706
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#42 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

Official numbers out of Phoenix tonight. 4-2 Coyotes get the win. Attendance at the Jobing.com Arena: 6,706

Wow, must of been hard to find a good seat :P
IPB Image

#43 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

i heard on tsn it was "do not buy a ticket" night in phoenix

Edited by atodaso, 22 October 2010 - 02:34 AM.

#44 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:24 AM

Move these teams to the Canada.
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#45 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:53 AM

Posted Image

Phoenix during the 2nd period LOL

Posted Image

#46 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:29 AM

Posted Image

Phoenix during the 2nd period LOL

And the league is against Balsillie buying the team, and moving them to Hamilton :rolleyes:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

Another page of "The Bettman Legacy".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,478 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

Another page of "The Bettman Legacy".

no joke... I am surprised he isn't paying seat fillers to go to games in Phoenix. Just to keep up appearances, ya know? ;)

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Maybe it was a Halloween promotion: if you came dressed up as an empty seat, your ticket was half price.

#50 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

Maybe it was a Halloween promotion: if you came dressed up as an empty seat, your ticket was half price.

Haha, I think Bob Mackenzie called it friends at family night at Jobbing. I think Jobbing.com should use their resume database and hire some fans to make Bettman happy.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#51 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:58 AM

From what little I could see of the seats from the broadcast it was utterly ridiculous. I've seen better crowds at Mooseheads games for crying out loud.

So they'd GIVE you money? :P

Edited by _Kabrok_, 22 October 2010 - 08:00 AM.

#52 selkie

selkie

Beach Bum

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Hockey can and does work in the South when you have a winning team and reasonably priced tickets. The Louisiana IceGators in the booming metropolis of Lafayette (I consider myself pretty good with geography and I'd have a hard time finding Lafayette, LA on a map) averaged 11K+ paid attendance for a couple years in the late 90s when they were flagrantly violating the ECHL salary cap, and consequently winning games left and right.

#53 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

ouch...

Just driving the point home that these teams need to migrate to the great white north... as already covered, give Winnipeg their Jets back and move Atlanta to Quebec to start...

as a side note, I really miss this jersey:
Posted Image

Edited by stevkrause, 22 October 2010 - 08:19 AM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#54 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hockey can and does work in the South when you have a winning team and reasonably priced tickets. The Louisiana IceGators in the booming metropolis of Lafayette (I consider myself pretty good with geography and I'd have a hard time finding Lafayette, LA on a map) averaged 11K+ paid attendance for a couple years in the late 90s when they were flagrantly violating the ECHL salary cap, and consequently winning games left and right.

I think at the end of the day, it's not the south that's the issue, it's the markets they chose... I don't think they did their due diligence before putting teams down there - Tampa Bay, Dallas and Carolina(hate them by the way, so it sucks to admit it) have all been very viable markets, but South Beach, Phoenix and Atlanta were poor choices and even with winning teams, would just be fads anyway with no sustainable fanbase and as soon as the teams started losing again, the fans would leave (see Florida after making it to the SCF and losing all their fans within 2 years after)

The fact of the matter is, more teams belong in Canada one way or another and it simply makes poor business sense to keep trying to cram a square peg in a round hole, when you have markets foaming at the mouth to pay obscene amounts of money for your product that you're trying to sell to people who don't want it... as the old saying goes - go where the money is.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#55 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

A) An NHL team isn't going to be able to get away with cap-breaking
B) Said salary cap is meant to even the playing field among teams. Most teams bounce around all over the place in terms of performance now, if having a winning team is the make-or-break element of a team's success you're essentially admitting inconsistency at best.

#56 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

The League should consider moving this team to Calgary; they're dying to have an NHL team.

#57 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

Funny you say that, Darren Dreger just retweeted this:

BizNasty2point0 morning folks. Guess we actually had more then 5000 fans for our game. Didn't realize it was dress like a seat night. Close to a sell out.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#58 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

The League should consider moving this team to Calgary; they're dying to have an NHL team.

ba-da-ba-ding
Posted Image

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#59 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

as a side note, I really miss this jersey:
Posted Image

Yup - pretty neat/unique jersey.

For what it's worth - if a team were to move back to Quebec City they could still play in the old Colisee Pepsi (capacity 15,176) for a few seasons until a new arena was built.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#60 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

Yup - pretty neat/unique jersey.

For what it's worth - if a team were to move back to Quebec City they could still play in the old Colisee Pepsi (capacity 15,176) for a few seasons until a new arena was built.

They could - but they won't.

Seems to me Bettman will delay a move to Canada for as long as he can. Right now, all he's got to keep a team out of Quebec City is the arena issue.