#61 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

That's just sad.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#62 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

Corporate Winnipeg ready to support NHL team

The Sun contacted about one-third of the luxury suite holders at MTS Centre, and 17 of the 25 executives we reached said they would renew their suites at our predicted NHL price, which is triple the current rate.

Stars ask NHL for revenue advance

The sources again confirmed that the team is being financed by the group of lenders who are acting as the unofficial owners after Hicks Sports Group defaulted on $525 million in debt that helped purchase and run the Stars and the Rangers.

Edited by kook_10, 22 October 2010 - 11:53 AM.

works every time

#63 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

I wonder how many of those 6,000+ fans were Wings fans? Probably a lot. Let's see the attendance for an Atlanta vs Phoenix game. :ph34r:

esteef

Edited by esteef, 22 October 2010 - 11:52 AM.

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#64 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

I wonder how many of those 6,000+ fans were Wings fans? Probably a lot. Let's see the attendance for an Atlanta vs Phoenix game. :ph34r:

esteef

Feb. 17th.

Thrashers @ Coyotes

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Love watching Wings/Phoenix games at Jobing.com. Whenever the Wings score, it looks just like the Joe with the fans reaction.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

I 100% agree with you and mindfly on this, I think those teams would thrive today in the Canadian locations. Not to mention the economics behind it, not only are tickets not selling in current locations, there not selling at about a fraction of the price they'd sell for in the canadian market (which isn't soo lousy these days)

the first step to this happening is Bettman getting cut loose by the league. he needs to go for these teams to go. he'll die trying to prove that hockey is viable in southern USA where there may be a handful of hockey fans, but not enough to support an NHL franchise. i don't believe anymore that the Jets will be back here until Bettman is gone and someone without tunnel vision is running the NHL.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#67 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

Feb. 17th.

Thrashers @ Coyotes

Projected attendance: the players wives/girlfriends, a hobo who wandered in off the streets and a set of local radio contest winners who were told it was an MLS game

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#68 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Out of all the teams in the league... why LA I wonder...

Seattle could build a nice local thing with Vancouver. I really don't get why there isn't a team there.

Oh and the city size thing, check metropolitan areas, Atlanta is kinda big :P

Ohhh, that would explain it! I thought 3 million people seemed a little low for LA, for example...

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#69 Scott Krist

Scott Krist

Jr. Prospect

• 23 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Agreed, plus it's just not that big a city! I don't know why, but I always considered it to be one of the major metropolitan areas of the South, but as of 2009, Atlanta is the 33rd largest city in the U.S. El Paso, which is the most random-ass place I can think of, is #22, for pete's sake. For that matter, Seattle, which might actually have some hockey fans in the vicinity, is in 23rd place (10 spots ahead of ATL) and has 100k more people than Atlanta, yet we keep on putting teams in the South for the sake of some kind of Manifest Hockey Destiny. Ridiculous.

You were thinking right before and you must have looked at population numbers for Atlanta proper and not the metro area. Atlanta is, in fact the 9th largest metro area in the united states. Atlanta itself has less then 1 million population, but the metro area has a population of almost 6 million. It's not that Atlanta doesn't have the population to support these teams it's because people for whatever reason simply choose not to support their teams unless of course it's the Georgia bull dogs football team. As an Atlanta resident (moved here from Michigan 7 years ago) I will definitely confirm that the state of the economy has had a big effect on us here. Anyways I'll be going to see the wings play the thrashers in November and I'm sure it'll be 70% wings fans to 30% thrashers. Lol

#70 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

The League should consider moving this team to Calgary; they're dying to have an NHL team.

Hah, I love how the Leafs jokes are all becoming applicable to Calgary now.

#71 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image

"Empty arena. My work here iz done."

#72 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Projected attendance: the players wives/girlfriends, a hobo who wandered in off the streets and a set of local radio contest winners who were told it was an MLS game

:lol:

I live in Texas, and I think hockey doesn't belong south of the Mason-Dixon line, personally. Expansion teams... bleah. <_<

Move 'em all back to Canada. :cool:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#73 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Feb. 17th.

Thrashers @ Coyotes

This.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#74 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Don't forget the 3-4 creepy unattractive groupies sitting right behind the players bench who like Evander Kane just a little bit TOO much... :lol:

Edited by _Kabrok_, 22 October 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#75 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

With attendance figures like this, why does the Bettman clan insist that hockey is thriving in the South?

#76 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

"Hockey is thriving in the Southern US. There are no attendance problems."

Posted Image

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#77 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:10 PM

Funny thing, I was down in Atlanta this past week for work. The guy I was down there with, and I went to that game, and yeah, it was crazy empty. I was about 20 rows behind the bench and the tickets cost $120. Maybe if they lowered their ticket prices a bit people would start going more.

That and for anyone from the ATL area I couldn't find the damn centennial deck for the life of me.

Edited by Dave, 22 October 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#78 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

In a parallel universe:

David Stern: Contraction Possible

works every time

#79 sixer

sixer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

With that low attendance, they need to re-locate the cheerleaders in front of your seat and/or position them on your lap, instead of leaving them on the ice in an attempt to distract the opposing teams goalie in an effort to actually win a game.

Posted Image

Edited by sixer, 22 October 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#80 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

Official attendance for the Lightning & Thrashers game in Atlanta tonight: 9,138
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien