• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
roboturner

5 reasons to Love/Hate the Red Wings

Rate this topic

All 5 reasons to hate were based on envy.

Reason number 5 really gets to me… I grew up in the Chicago area and loved playing hockey since I was a kid. I have loved the Wings since I started watching hockey and following the NHL. To say I am a bandwagon fan because I am not from Detroit really pisses me off. Why do people say you have to love the team that is in your city? Does that mean people in Alaska can’t have a favorite team in the NHL? Or the many fans of the NHL from across the pond, I guess they don’t count either? What do you guys think about this? Those of you from Detroit, does it make me less of a fan because I am from Chicago?

Guest Stolberg

seems pretty reasonable to me

Also to claim our fans are the worst in the league... coming from DUCKS fans

the article didn't say that, one of the commenters did.

i guess it's not surprising that the people in this thread have already jumped on the envy thing. probably why people generalize wings fans as such

Edited by Stolberg

i guess it's not surprising that the people in this thread have already jumped on the envy thing. probably why people generalize wings fans as such

Lol did you even read the article?

The article is written by a Ducks writer.

Other teams ARE envious of the Wings success, that is fact not opinion.

Edited by hooon

Well, let’s take a closer look:

Reason 1: Hockeytown

Any city would love to have that title. It’s ours and I believe it’s trademarked – ENVY

Reason 2: The Joe

The Joe is filled with history and a s*** load of banners! – ENVY

Reason 3: Chelios didn’t shake hands

I know someone else that did that in 2009 and we are the only ones pissed about it, I guess they will have to deal with it like we do. – Maybe not envy this time, but pretty damn ridiculous and reaching for a reason to hate.

Reason 4: 2002 Awesomeness

BOO HOO the Wings had an awesome roster filled with future hall of famers, you guessed it – ENVY

Reason 5: Bandwagon Fans

Wings fans are everywhere… - ENVY

Ok, you got me… 80% ENVY 20% BS.

Lol did you even read the article?

The article is written by a Ducks writer.

Other teams ARE envious of the Wings success, that is fact not opinion.

Yea the article is from the Orange Country Register and there's links to Ducks Photos at the bottom.

All 5 reasons to hate were based on envy.

Reason number 5 really gets to me… I grew up in the Chicago area and loved playing hockey since I was a kid. I have loved the Wings since I started watching hockey and following the NHL. To say I am a bandwagon fan because I am not from Detroit really pisses me off. Why do people say you have to love the team that is in your city? Does that mean people in Alaska can't have a favorite team in the NHL? Or the many fans of the NHL from across the pond, I guess they don't count either? What do you guys think about this? Those of you from Detroit, does it make me less of a fan because I am from Chicago?

I took issue with it too, not for personal reasons though. It's ridiculous to assume that you can't be a real fan of a team if you didn't grow up in that area.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

The Joe does suck. Olympia had history too but that didn't stop anyone from tearing it down. The Joe is long past its prime and it is time for a new arena. Those banners can be moved and the history of the Joe can be preserved through pictures and writing. Let's not turn this into another Tiger Stadium incident. That was embarrassing enough.

Hating the Joe is not jealousy... it does stink, especially on the outside across the street from the main entrance. I love the Joe and all but it needs to go.

It literally smells like s***.

Reason number 5 really gets to me… I grew up in the Chicago area and loved playing hockey since I was a kid. I have loved the Wings since I started watching hockey and following the NHL. To say I am a bandwagon fan because I am not from Detroit really pisses me off. Why do people say you have to love the team that is in your city? Does that mean people in Alaska can't have a favorite team in the NHL? Or the many fans of the NHL from across the pond, I guess they don't count either?

I concur, but it goes with the territory. Neither of the two sports teams I root for are from the city I was born/raised in or even where I currently live. It sucks when people assume you're a bandwagon fan or say that you can't be a "real" or "true" fan unless you're from the chunk of dirt the team is from, but I just consider the source. Fans who aren't threatened, bothered or annoyed by fans from other locales don't give a s*** where you're from. They're just happy they have someone else they can take about said team with. Me, there aren't a whole lot of Red Wings/baseball team I root for fans around here, so message boards/blogs are a great way for me to interact with them, including fans like me who aren't from there.

The minute someone calls me a bandwagoner or something, I just dismiss them and move on. You should do the same -- don't let their sophomoric attitude piss you off.

Well, let’s take a closer look:

Reason 1: Hockeytown

Any city would love to have that title. It’s ours and I believe it’s trademarked – ENVY

I'm a fan, born and raised, and I think it's kind of lame.

Reason 2: The Joe

The Joe is filled with history and a s*** load of banners! – ENVY

The Joe is a s***hole and the banners won't be demolished with the building.

Reason 3: Chelios didn’t shake hands

I know someone else that did that in 2009 and we are the only ones pissed about it, I guess they will have to deal with it like we do. – Maybe not envy this time, but pretty damn ridiculous and reaching for a reason to hate.

I'm a fan and I hate Chelios. Hated him before he was a Wing, hated him worse when he was a Wing... now he's gone, so who cares?

Reason 4: 2002 Awesomeness

BOO HOO the Wings had an awesome roster filled with future hall of famers, you guessed it – ENVY

You've never accused another team of buying a championship? Cuz that's what they did that year.

Reason 5: Bandwagon Fans

Wings fans are everywhere… - ENVY

The dominating teams in every sport have a large contingent of 'fans' that follow them simply because they are the best. Kinda like the Yankees... and the Lakers... and the Cowboys. All hated and loved in almost equal ratios across the country.

Ok, you got me… 80% ENVY 20% BS.

But honestly, you're taking this list too seriously. In fact, I'm actually impressed by the knowledge of whoever wrote it. It's a very fair assessment imo.

I get the hate for the Hockeytown USA trademark, but Detroit is Hockeytown USA. For 10 years, mid 90's to mid 00's, the Red Wings were the most popular team in the city, and they still maybe are, although the Tigers have been huge since 2006. How many American cities can say the hockey team is #1 in the city?

I was waiting for a reason to hate the Wings to be 'They got over a million fans at their parade, we only got 10,000... WAH!'

I agree the Joe is old, but hate the team because we out-marketed Disney and copyrighted Hockeytown? Hate us because of 2002? I am sick of hearing that the Wings "bought" the Cup back then...

Hasek we traded for, as a matter of fact a 30 goal scorer and a first round pick.

Brett Hull, is it our fault he took less money to come here? Hell we didn't even sign him until August 22nd of 2001, nearly 2 months after UFA day...

Robitaille, NOBODY wanted, NOT EVEN LA! (much like Modano this year!)

Olausson, again NOBODY ELSE WAS INTERESTED IN HIM!!!

Chelios we traded Anders Ericsson and a first round pick for WAAAAAAY back in 1999.

Larionov was on this team for years...

Lidstrom, Yzerman, Fedorov, ALL DRAFT PICKS!

Shanahan was traded for in 1996 for Keith Primeau and Paul Coffey AND a first round pick!

Jesus H! Now what part of that says we just pulled a New York Yankee's and threw a ton of money at a bunch of free agents and BOUGHT the Stanley Cup!!!?!?!?!?

Pure Envy is all it is.... Hate the Wings because they are your rivals, simple. Forget all the other BS excuses and rationalizations!

The dominating teams in every sport have a large contingent of 'fans' that follow them simply because they are the best. Kinda like the Yankees... and the Lakers... and the Cowboys. All hated and loved in almost equal ratios across the country.

I wouldn't really call the cowboys the best of anything...except choking when it counts. Kinda like the Sharks of the NFL.

You've never accused another team of buying a championship? Cuz that's what they did that year.

Dude, drafting the players, trading assets for players and signing players that every other team had a chance to sign doesn't define the term "BOUGHT A CHAMPIONSHIP!"

If you can name me ONE player on that 2002 team that Detroit got into bidding war over or paid an unGodly amount of money to come here and play and I will agree with you. But you can't, so the answer is THEY DID NOT BUY ANYTHING...

I wouldn't really call the cowboys the best of anything...except choking when it counts. Kinda like the Sharks of the NFL.

Recent history yes, but the Cowboys have won the 5 Superbowls, second most all-time, and their 1992-1995 teams could have been the best Dynasty in NFL history.

I'm constantly asked why the Wings since I'm not from Michigan, and their conclusion is that I must be a bandwagon fan.  They can all think what they want. 

I've lived in Vegas for nearly 20 years now and I guess it could have been more logical to jump on the CA bandwagon when the "Great One" took the Kings to the '93 finals, or the Disney claim on the "Mighty".  

However...for the simple answer.

I feel that the distaste that I have for C. Lemieux from '96, the nickname Turtle from '97,  and for the tears of joy in '98 while we "Believed" in the "Vladiator" changed all of that for me.  

If that makes me a bandwagon fan, then I'm guilty for loving a Class-Act Organization that still continues to watch after their own, and can still produce in a salary cap world still today.  Can't say the same for a lot of teams in any sport.  PERIOD.  

Hey a Championship is a Championship.

You know what though, that year there was more bought teams than ours (Rangers, Leafs, and Flyers). Plus most of our talent came through the farm system.

:scared: Seems like a lot of typing concerning the opinion of a Lousy ^ucks fan. ^ucks fans are insignificant insects...their drooling, slack-jawed ideas about my Wings are of no consequence to anyone with an IQ greater than a bean. This article screams, "DELETE!" :thumbdown: