• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Barrie

Cheerleaders for Canadian NHL team a first

Rate this topic

I watched the opening night oilers game and it just seems that they are really struggling to try create the right arena atmosphere. They have the goofy oil rig hanging from the rafters and bad lighting, a boring announcer. It was actually seemed funny as the game followed the Toronto broadcast where they do it right. Maybe some T+A will make the crowd sound a little more excited 'cause they were dead and the oilers played well.

what teams currently have cheerleaders anyways?

I know that Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida do. Or at least I've seen them in highlights of games.

I've noticed and been saying this for years. It's all the teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line (the south). It may or may not include the California teams (I guess they aren't technically called the south).

In your non traditional hockey markets they have the cheer squad and the ice crew, which may have a girl or 2. In the traditional hockey market they have the ice girls. The cheer squad never skates and does your basic cheering stuff you would see at a football or basketball game. The ice girls actually clear the ice (they know how to skate) and they walk around the arena doing promotional/fan interaction stuff as well.

Cheerleaders are for basketball and football. I'm not against cheerleading at all, most of my friends in school were cheerleaders or on the pom squad and so was my sister when she was in high school. What they do is very physically demanding, especially when you start incorporating gymnastics in the routines -- I sure as hell can't do it.

That said, football/basketball stadiums have sidelines or end zones or areas where the girls can be so they can dance and shake their **** without killing themselves or being in the way of the players. Any hockey game I've ever been to, there's barely enough room for benches and penalty boxes, much less designated pom-pom areas.

It just seems gimmicky and hokey in relation to hockey or even baseball.

I've noticed and been saying this for years. It's all the teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line (the south). It may or may not include the California teams (I guess they aren't technically called the south).

In your non traditional hockey markets they have the cheer squad and the ice crew, which may have a girl or 2. In the traditional hockey market they have the ice girls. The cheer squad never skates and does your basic cheering stuff you would see at a football or basketball game. The ice girls actually clear the ice (they know how to skate) and they walk around the arena doing promotional/fan interaction stuff as well.

169390d1269981256-icy-hot-ice-girls-from-around-the-nhl-lundqvist.jpg

"Try not to look...try not to look...."

169390d1269981256-icy-hot-ice-girls-from-around-the-nhl-lundqvist.jpg

"Try not to look...try not to look...."

Excuse me while I go interact with what they just promoted.:blush:

Cheerleaders are for basketball and football. I'm not against cheerleading at all, most of my friends in school were cheerleaders or on the pom squad and so was my sister when she was in high school. What they do is very physically demanding, especially when you start incorporating gymnastics in the routines -- I sure as hell can't do it.

That said, football/basketball stadiums have sidelines or end zones or areas where the girls can be so they can dance and shake their **** without killing themselves or being in the way of the players. Any hockey game I've ever been to, there's barely enough room for benches and penalty boxes, much less designated pom-pom areas.

It just seems gimmicky and hokey in relation to hockey or even baseball.

That has to be the most commonsensical answer I've heard yet.

Ice girls do their thing in the stands (if you have the kind that don't clear the ice), but cheerleaders -by definition- lead cheers.

At my local USHL team's games, the ice girls just go around in the stands and do the rah-rah thing. They stand in the aisles and generally don't block the view.

One of them has sung the anthem. She was pretty good.

I just think that if they have cheerleaders they should be both genders (as opposed to ice girls who are -by definition- girls).

I hope the Wings never get cheerleaders. As a former cheerleader, I can say I hate pro cheerleaders. I lifted girls twice my size, threw them in the air and caught them. And I have smashed my face into the ground so many times trying to tumble and learn backflips. Pro cheerleaders don't really do anything but dance. It's not even exciting, and hockey is exciting enough.

I've never really understood the need or the appeal (beyond the most basic one...). Maybe that is because I'm used to European crowds which tend to be more creative (i.e. chanting, singing, banners etc.)

Guest CaliWingsNut

610x.jpg

anderson-ice-girls.jpg

And there's a problem with this how?

I never understood people getting upset the goalie is checking out the ice girls. What's your reaction...jealosy?

Guest Stolberg

i've never seen anyone get upset about it. it's funny.

what planet are you living on

I know that Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida do. Or at least I've seen them in highlights of games.

According to the TSN article, 23 NHL teams currently have cheerleaders. 30 teams - 6 Canadian teams = 24. That means that all but 1 US based teams have cheerleaders. Guess which American team doesn't have them? :)

Guest Shoreline

I don't see why they are necessary, being that they are not part of the game, and likely aren't cheap, so seems like a waste of money, but if teams wanna use cheerleaders why not?

I don't see why they are necessary, being that they are not part of the game, and likely aren't cheap, so seems like a waste of money, but if teams wanna use cheerleaders why not?

Exactly. They're not "necessary" as much as hot dogs aren't "necessary". But people like them. :D

esteef

Edited by esteef

According to the TSN article, 23 NHL teams currently have cheerleaders. 30 teams - 6 Canadian teams = 24. That means that all but 1 US based teams have cheerleaders. Guess which American team doesn't have them? :)

I did an ice girls google search, and yea it looks like we're the only American team without ice girls.

Edit: I had no idea that many teams have them!

Edited by Barrie

They're very cheap. They get barely any money from it. Even Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders only make like 6 grand or something.