• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Its good job creation, what would you rather do have her sell you windows and doors at dinner time on the phone, or watch her bounce around?

#22 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Its good job creation, what would you rather do have her sell you windows and doors at dinner time on the phone, or watch her bounce around?

The first one.

#23 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

And wonder bras.

What a wonder bra looks like:

Attached File  1271716483875.jpg   19.49KB   42 downloads

At least to me anyways.:rolleyes:

Edited by softshoes, 24 October 2010 - 10:38 AM.

"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

Their first "Retro Night" costume.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:45 AM

cheerleading in general isf****** stupid. maybe if it were college hockey that would be alright.

what teams currently have cheerleaders anyways?

offhand, im pretty sure i seen a thing on tv about the caps having a cheerleading squad. who else?

to me, cheerleading in pro hockey is as visually entertaining as those s***ty video ads on the sideboards.

its 3 steps below a suited mascot, or san jose skating out of a giant shark mouth,

im not against things that may draw new fans, but cheerleader squads i think is too much.

doesnt fit with the game at all.

I know that Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida do. Or at least I've seen them in highlights of games.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,851 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Aren't cheerleaders also known as healthy scratches?

:D

Edited by GMRwings1983, 24 October 2010 - 10:50 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

I watched the opening night oilers game and it just seems that they are really struggling to try create the right arena atmosphere. They have the goofy oil rig hanging from the rafters and bad lighting, a boring announcer. It was actually seemed funny as the game followed the Toronto broadcast where they do it right. Maybe some T+A will make the crowd sound a little more excited 'cause they were dead and the oilers played well.

#28 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

what teams currently have cheerleaders anyways?

I know that Dallas, Phoenix, and Florida do. Or at least I've seen them in highlights of games.

I've noticed and been saying this for years. It's all the teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line (the south). It may or may not include the California teams (I guess they aren't technically called the south).

In your non traditional hockey markets they have the cheer squad and the ice crew, which may have a girl or 2. In the traditional hockey market they have the ice girls. The cheer squad never skates and does your basic cheering stuff you would see at a football or basketball game. The ice girls actually clear the ice (they know how to skate) and they walk around the arena doing promotional/fan interaction stuff as well.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#29 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

You guys are all sourpusses. Cheerleaders don't hurt anybody and are fun to look at!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#30 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Cheerleaders are for basketball and football. I'm not against cheerleading at all, most of my friends in school were cheerleaders or on the pom squad and so was my sister when she was in high school. What they do is very physically demanding, especially when you start incorporating gymnastics in the routines -- I sure as hell can't do it.

That said, football/basketball stadiums have sidelines or end zones or areas where the girls can be so they can dance and shake their **** without killing themselves or being in the way of the players. Any hockey game I've ever been to, there's barely enough room for benches and penalty boxes, much less designated pom-pom areas.

It just seems gimmicky and hokey in relation to hockey or even baseball.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#31 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

I've noticed and been saying this for years. It's all the teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line (the south). It may or may not include the California teams (I guess they aren't technically called the south).

In your non traditional hockey markets they have the cheer squad and the ice crew, which may have a girl or 2. In the traditional hockey market they have the ice girls. The cheer squad never skates and does your basic cheering stuff you would see at a football or basketball game. The ice girls actually clear the ice (they know how to skate) and they walk around the arena doing promotional/fan interaction stuff as well.

Posted Image

"Try not to look...try not to look...."

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#32 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Posted Image

"Try not to look...try not to look...."

Excuse me while I go interact with what they just promoted.:blush:
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#33 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,823 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

Lundqvist's demeanor in that picture is just classic. Wasn't there an incident one time where he refused to move out of the net for them?

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 24 October 2010 - 12:12 PM.

#34 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Cheerleaders are for basketball and football. I'm not against cheerleading at all, most of my friends in school were cheerleaders or on the pom squad and so was my sister when she was in high school. What they do is very physically demanding, especially when you start incorporating gymnastics in the routines -- I sure as hell can't do it.

That said, football/basketball stadiums have sidelines or end zones or areas where the girls can be so they can dance and shake their **** without killing themselves or being in the way of the players. Any hockey game I've ever been to, there's barely enough room for benches and penalty boxes, much less designated pom-pom areas.

It just seems gimmicky and hokey in relation to hockey or even baseball.

That has to be the most commonsensical answer I've heard yet.

Ice girls do their thing in the stands (if you have the kind that don't clear the ice), but cheerleaders -by definition- lead cheers.

At my local USHL team's games, the ice girls just go around in the stands and do the rah-rah thing. They stand in the aisles and generally don't block the view.

One of them has sung the anthem. She was pretty good.

I just think that if they have cheerleaders they should be both genders (as opposed to ice girls who are -by definition- girls).

#35 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

What a wonder bra looks like:

Attached File  1271716483875.jpg   19.49KB   42 downloads

At least to me anyways.:rolleyes:

Looks like a lil 5:00 shadow next to that raw bacon.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#36 Lovin Jiri Fischer

Lovin Jiri Fischer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I hope the Wings never get cheerleaders. As a former cheerleader, I can say I hate pro cheerleaders. I lifted girls twice my size, threw them in the air and caught them. And I have smashed my face into the ground so many times trying to tumble and learn backflips. Pro cheerleaders don't really do anything but dance. It's not even exciting, and hockey is exciting enough.

#37 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 F2B&G

F2B&G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Lame. Even more disappointing that a team with the history of the Oilers would be the first. When I first saw this thread, I figured it would be the Sens or the 'Nucks.

#39 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

I've never really understood the need or the appeal (beyond the most basic one...). Maybe that is because I'm used to European crowds which tend to be more creative (i.e. chanting, singing, banners etc.)
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#40 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

And there's a problem with this how?

I never understood people getting upset the goalie is checking out the ice girls. What's your reaction...jealosy?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain