• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,457 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

Selanne is without a doubt a world-class player, but he needs to shut up. I understand senior players supporting their (whining) coaches, but really now... this was marginal at best, no one was hurt except your ego. And by the way, poor officiating against the Wings, some of it in this joke of a building, contributed to your name being on the Stanley Cup, so... shhh!

<_<

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#42 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

It's funny though, i think i never heard babcock whine about officiating.. only thing he says is like "i don't get to referee the game etc" while almost all other coaches do it on a daily basis..

STAY CLASSY ^_^

#43 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I'll give Selanne the benefit of the doubt as I don't think he's this type of person typically.

That being said, I can certainly understand his frustrations with the officiating, I just think he worded his frustrations really bad.

As much as I dislike Corey Perry and love seeing him in the penalty box, that penalty call him early was pretty pitiful, and it just goes to show how terribly inconsistent the officiating and/or NHL rules are in terms of penalty calls, for all teams, Wings and Ducks included.

Hasn't changed much over the years unfortunately.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 24 October 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#44 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

http://www.mlive.com...says_red_w.html

My favorite parts of the article are just how wrong he is about everything he says :)

"For sure his elbow hit in my face. I didn't see the replay, but I know how it felt."

"That's not the reason why we lost but still, if you get one power play and they get five (they got three), it's a big difference."

And of course, the threat cements the fact that he is completely oblivious to the team he plays on.

"That guy is dangerous out there. One of these days somebody's going to get him, for sure,'' Selanne said. "I know that. It's just a matter of time when."

Sad thing is, I have no doubt we'll see vintage Ducks head hunting in the remaining two games. I understand emotion over a hit or over a teammate being hit, but at what point do these threats - like the ones often said about Ovechkin - warrant a legitimate response by the league?

On one hand, I hate the fact that players can't speak their minds in many instances, so I appreciate candor, but at the same time, isn't that the same as saying "Myself and others have intent to injure" only needing an act to solidify it? Has the Bertuzzi-Moore incident taught us so little? So if Kronwall gets hurt in a suspicious act during a Wings-Ducks game, is intent already applied? In other words, my feeling is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYjdEwa8GA#t=4m25s

EDIT: Time note didn't work :( so if you don't like the Godfather, specifically one of the greatest scenes in cinema, skip to 4:25

Edited by b.shanafan14, 24 October 2010 - 09:20 AM.

#45 JoshuaW92

JoshuaW92

Finnish Wing

• 38 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

The biggest thing that everyone needs to realize is that Selanne is frustrated that his team is the most penalized team in the league, even though it's their own fault for acting like idiots. He is trying to vent because you can definately tell he is not happy with the way his team is playing the game.
About the hit, I can see why he thinks he got elbowed. Kronwall followed through with his elbow even though initial point of contact was using his shoulder. Kronwall needs to change the style of how he hits because in the future he is going to get major suspensions and fines hitting like that. He needs to learn to stay on his feet (before,during, and after hit) and to keep his arms down so it doesn't even look questionable of being an elbow.

#46 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

"That guy is dangerous out there," Selanne said. "One of these days somebody's going to get him, for sure. I know that. It's just a matter of time when. For sure his elbow hit in my face. I didn't see the replay but I know how it felt."

Well, Mr. Selanne, it's amazing you felt his elbow hit you when it was clearly a shoulder hit. Maybe you should go watch the replay before you shoot off at the mouth. I don't know why powerplays going to your opposing team is so shocking to a Duck. Your team is full of discipline-less goons.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

******* ***** diver like Selanne complaining about refs giving out unfair calls.

How about you stop diving all the time retard? It's unfair to the other team.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

******* ***** diver like Selanne complaining about refs giving out unfair calls.

How about you stop diving all the time retard? It's unfair to the other team.

This.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#49 AARedWingFan

AARedWingFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/10/ducks_teemu_selanne_says_red_w.html

My favorite parts of the article are just how wrong he is about everything he says :)

And of course, the threat cements the fact that he is completely oblivious to the team he plays on.

Sad thing is, I have no doubt we'll see vintage Ducks head hunting in the remaining two games. I understand emotion over a hit or over a teammate being hit, but at what point do these threats - like the ones often said about Ovechkin - warrant a legitimate response by the league?

On one hand, I hate the fact that players can't speak their minds in many instances, so I appreciate candor, but at the same time, isn't that the same as saying "Myself and others have intent to injure" only needing an act to solidify it? Has the Bertuzzi-Moore incident taught us so little? So if Kronwall gets hurt in a suspicious act during a Wings-Ducks game, is intent already applied? In other words, my feeling is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYjdEwa8GA#t=4m25s

EDIT: Time note didn't work :( so if you don't like the Godfather, specifically one of the greatest scenes in cinema, skip to 4:25

You get a +1 for bringing in The Godfather to relate to the situation that may occur. Win for you. :thumbup:

#50 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

I'll give Selanne the benefit of the doubt as I don't think he's this type of person typically.

That being said, I can certainly understand his frustrations with the officiating, I just think he worded his frustrations really bad.

As much as I dislike Corey Perry and love seeing him in the penalty box, that penalty call him early was pretty pitiful, and it just goes to show how terribly inconsistent the officiating and/or NHL rules are in terms of penalty calls, for all teams, Wings and Ducks included.

Hasn't changed much over the years unfortunately.

I didn't see the game, for some reason I couldn't find it on the NHL Center Ice
channels, but I'm wondering if that call on Perry was to send him a message that the refs are watching him, and weren't going to take any cheap shots or head hunting from him. If that was the case, I thank them.

As for Selanne's comments, I find it funny coming from a team who has some of the worst poor sports, goons, head hunters, and cheap shot artists in the game. I have no time for any Anaheim complaining.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#51 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I think the problem here is Selanne has got to be the cleanest guy on that team. And I am sure that wasn't nearly as frustrating when they were one of the top teams in the league.

Now he has to watch the PK march out on the ice over and over again, while watching the L's pile up as well.

He came back to win, they have a lot of talent when they are playing the game, when they are gooning it up or whining, they are not very good.

Selanne's frustrations are no doubt adding up, I think he just finally found an outlet and let it go way more than he needed.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#52 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

I didn't see the game, for some reason I couldn't find it on the NHL Center Ice
channels, but I'm wondering if that call on Perry was to send him a message that the refs are watching him, and weren't going to take any cheap shots or head hunting from him. If that was the case, I thank them.

I would imagine it to be something like that. The game started off chippy and after that episode, it quieted right down. Pretty sure it was more of a message sender than anything.

Sad to see it happen that way, if indeed that was the reasoning, i'd prefer legit calls all the way around, but detroit also gets there share of bad calls so take advantage of it while you can.

#53 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Considering who was doing the refereeing, I'm actually shocked that we didn't get more s*** calls against us. O'Halloran hates us with a passion and usually puts the screws to us. I'm ashamed to say he is from my home town. But if he didn't do a bad job (and I haven't watched the game yet, so I don't know), I'd be surprised beyond words.
Posted Image

#54 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

Is there some truth to the alleged O'Halloran hatred for the city of detroit (and therefore also the red wings, yeah that's my logic) because he or someone close to him got shot in detroit?

Edited by mindfly, 24 October 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#55 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:22 AM

Is there some truth to the alleged O'Halloran hatred for the city of detroit (and therefore also the red wings, yeah that's my logic) because he or someone close to him got shot in detroit?

If I remember correctly, I think it was him, and back in 1983.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#56 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

The call on Perry was not weak. That f***** knew where he was on the ice, was leaving for a line change and tried to take Franzen out of the play. I don't believe for a second that it was unintentional and that Perry didn't see him. It was a pick plain and simple. Interference. Good call ref! :thumbup:

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#57 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

The biggest thing that everyone needs to realize is that Selanne is frustrated that his team is the most penalized team in the league, even though it's their own fault for acting like idiots. He is trying to vent because you can definately tell he is not happy with the way his team is playing the game.
About the hit, I can see why he thinks he got elbowed. Kronwall followed through with his elbow even though initial point of contact was using his shoulder. Kronwall needs to change the style of how he hits because in the future he is going to get major suspensions and fines hitting like that. He needs to learn to stay on his feet (before,during, and after hit) and to keep his arms down so it doesn't even look questionable of being an elbow.

Actually, this.

I think Selanne would know if Kronwall got him in the chin. You can see it in that great photo. The question is if it just grazed it, or if he clipped him pretty good in the jaw.

Otherwise, he's a frustrated player. But step outside a Wings forum and you'll see Kronwall has a reputation for borderline hits and headhunting. I don't think the headhunting one is justified, but borderline hits, definitely. He jumps into them and tends to throw his elbow out.

Though it's kind of fun to hear players and coaches whine about reffing and how much they hate playing at the Joe. Good. It means the Wings are in their head.

Like I said earlier, I think the coach sets the tone. The Wings had a couple weak calls go in their favor, but part of that is because of how many legit penalties the Ducks take every game. Carlyle should be focusing his energy on keeping the Ducks from taking so many stupid penalties, not whining to the press about officiating.

Frustrated teams with poor leadership are the ones who lash out at external things like refs.

#58 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

If I remember correctly, I think it was him, and back in 1983.

True story.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#59 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

well no matter what anyone says aboot Selanne NO ONE will top his goals by a rookie set in 92-93.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :cool: :cool: :cool: :yowza: :yowza: :yowza:

#60 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

Um. Yes because he was actually caught with NOTHING but elbow.

Whats your point exactly? Other than to illicit responses from other posters...

Bitching is bitching.