• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Kronwall's Hit on Selanne:

Rate this topic

Suspendable or Not?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The NHL loves the carnage, and the publicity. Can't see anything wrong with the hit.

CBC had a thing on last night about brain trauma, that I watched this morning. One of the people, I dare say it was MacClean, talked about how the style of hitting today is causing a lot of these head injuries. The kind where the hitter coils and then springs up and through the receiver of the hit. Much like a linebacker would hit a receiver running a route across the center of the field, AKA, a suicide pass.

While I feel that Kronwall's hit was perfectly legal and within the boundaries of legal hits in the NHL, these are the kind of hits that will be the next to become illegal in the NHL.

A change in equipment and technique are definitely coming. As much as I like to see a good hit, it sucks to see someone laid out on the ice, injured, every night. A check is supposed to separate a player from the puck, not that player from their career. They need to teach respect to todays players or this will become a worse. Just my thoughts, you may now throw stones.

oh my god would you pansies calm down! selanne skated harder into kronwall than the other way around! kronwall went for the puck saw selanne was still coming so defended him self by tensing his shoulder for the colision and maybe landing a body check, (how dare him in the new nba-ehem, i mean nhl) Good for the refs not stopping the play for selannes pout fest in the corner after the check.

The summary of my view on this topic:

If this was an illegal hit, consider me Miles Davis!

is this thread a joke? what have nhl fans come to? I mean COME ON it is freaking HOCKEY.

Well I mean, we just don't know what the league thinks anymore with the new rules. We understand "it's hockey" but things this year are even more unclear with what the league wants to enforce.

Well I mean, we just don't know what the league thinks anymore with the new rules. We understand "it's hockey" but things this year are even more unclear with what the league wants to enforce.

so it is intended to be a jab at the league? it still should come out as 100% not a suspension then

Guest Four

It was a stand-up hit, with no charging or anything. I wouldn't even notice it, if Selanne didn't whine.

No question, 100% legal hit. The elbow on the follow through is perfectly legal as is him leaving his feet on the follow through. When a player is taught to make a hit in any contact sport they are taught to hit through the other player. THerefore naturally his momentum would carry him into the air after Selanne went down. Too bad Selanne didn't try to take the hit instead of duck, no pun intended, under it.

Guest Shoreline

I don't understand why the question of legality was even posed. It wasn't high hit, Selanne angled himself so he lost vertical height when the hit was made, making it look higher on Selanne's body than it really was, but it was not high at all. The elbow was a follow through just at or slightly under Kronner's shoulders, not sticking out the elbow to make a hit. I really hope we don't start this American romanticizing away the physical nature of this sport just out of concern for people's health just like they have done to the NFL. Players know the risk when they lace up and play in the NHL.

Guest mindfly

Now when I think about it, did kronwall even have a nice open ice hit last season (09/10) I only remember the havlat one from the 09 playoffs... this was his first in a long long time, good to see, i remember during a stretch i think it was 2 or 3 seasons ago where he did one huge per week or so..

Now when I think about it, did kronwall even have a nice open ice hit last season (09/10) I only remember the havlat one from the 09 playoffs... this was his first in a long long time, good to see, i remember during a stretch i think it was 2 or 3 seasons ago where he did one huge per week or so..

Hmm... I don't. I remember watching him in the 08 playoffs and thinking, "Who the hell is this guy?" I suppose only the playoffs can really bring it out of him.

Guest LarryMurphySpecial

Nothing wrong with the hit, but I know if this happened to Datsyuk, I'd have a different stance. You most probably would too.